This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat’s out of the bag

So I’ve got a cat... in fact I have three but this story is about one of them in particular. She like most cats likes to sleep on fresh laundry and places other then the cat bed. Places like my old duffel bag full of miscellaneous riding gear. It’s a big bag. And I’m lazy so I rarely do it up all the way anyway. Since it usually sits on top of my bookshelf it’s would be safe to assume it’s out of cat reach.

Apparently not.

At some point she crawled in there and went for a nap. Which would be fine if she didn’t sleep like the dead. You can pick her up when she’s sleeping and she doesn’t even notice. So I grabbed my bag and headed to my first job at the grocery store, storing it in the cash office because it’s too big for the upstairs lockers and I don’t leave my really expensive gear in my car where the locks haven’t worked in years.

So all goes fine until you hear a “wtf?” from the cash office. Guess who woke up from her nap and decided to explore her surroundings?

At least she’s well behaved and too lazy (she’s an old lazy by now) to do more then lay there, with paws daintily crossed one over the other like she’s damn royalty or something.

I was floating so I checked in to see what the hell was happening only to see my way to proud of herself cat preening at the attention she was getting.

I didn’t get in trouble since she never left the cash office or made a... mess anywhere. We left her there for the duration of my shift and she got bathroom breaks on everyone’s break. (Something I’m sure was just an excuse for cuddles). She’s well trained and will actually heel like a dog (and sit, beg, rollover, fetch (though wether she will bring things all the way back is another matter) and her favourite, lay there and be petted). Needless to say she has a fan club now (which is disturbing in its own right) but far preferable to losing my job so....

Needless to say I shall check all bags and dark corners for spare cats before leaving the house from now on.

Though I’m sure the cat burglar/catnapped incident will never be forgotten
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

So basically, you had a 'Take your (fur) daughter to work day'.
    You realize, of course, that there will be questions of when can you bring her royal fuzzyness back in, as well as the cat trying to figure new ways to travel to this wonderful place where she gets all the pettins.

Let's just hope the other two don't figure out the trick either.

Comment

That's hilarious, so glad it worked out well!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Totally agree with Buzzard: she will now be plotting to go back!

I had something similar happen once, although the cat in question didn't go anywhere ... what he did was get locked in the linen closet for eight hours (he was snoozing under the lowest shelf, I didn't realize he was there and slammed the door shut on my way to work).

His Royalness was most offended when I finally got home and let him out. He stalked down the hallway with his tail pointed stiffly towards the North Star, while I scurried after him, apologizing profusely.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Our Rapsie got trapped in the coat closet last week. She wandered in when my wife got her coat to go to work, and was in there until she got back to put her coat away in the evening.

Rapsie was a good little kitten, she didn't use any of the closet as a litterbox!

She didn't really learn her lesson, though, as she still wants to get in there any time we open the door...
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Yes, ours get stuck in the basement from time to time. Why do I have the sense that kitty will keep sleeping there to get out of the house?
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

When I lived at home, with Boris the Stupid aka king of the castle, he wasn't too bright. we didn't have a true 3rd floor attic, but on the second floor, we had, on either side, under the eaves storage. i swear if you went ANYWHERE near either door, that cat would come from wherever he was, and sit and cry until you let him in. which was fine, but every now and then he'd get shut in.

And all you could hear was the faint, pathetic crying. and yup, he got shut in the attic again.

Comment

Working...
              X