Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sure, we'll just go to the secret Northeast Banana Orchard...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Nashida View Post
    Yes'm, we got six foot, seven foot, eight foot bunch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQXVHITd1N4
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
      When I worked in the Now-Defunct Tea Store, I once had a customer ask about Canadian tea ...

I know I am in southern Ontario, dear customer, but it is still NOWHERE near the climate that tea needs.
      *ahem*....

https://www.freshcup.com/canadian-tea/
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        Whereabouts in the U.S. did your grandmother live?

It would probably be possible to grow the plants in southern Ontario ... especially at the Windsor-Detroit border ... but I don't know if it would be possible to make a living at it.

Places like London, ON, are known to be in the "snow belt" ... not sure how that would work with the plants.
        Perry New York, takes me about 90 minutes to get to Niagara Falls from there ... it is a fairly hardy bush, it is grown in the foothills of the Himalayas.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          But camellia, the tea bush is able t be grown in much of the US .... my grandmother even had a couple in her decorative formal garden. DOn't think she ever tried making tea leaves, but the process is not over difficult for green tea it is simply drying it, black tea takes some controlled fermentation.
          I could be oh-so-wrong, but I don't think the tea plant we drink is the same camellia that blooms in our gardens. Like the difference between ornamental cherry vs. the eating cherry. Same basic plant, but not the one plant for both purposes.

Comment

Tea for drinking comes from Camellia sinensis. Ornamental camellias are mostly C. japonica and C. sasanqua, but a few other species are grown.

C. sinensis plants can be grown in a number of climates, but if you want to produce decent stuff, you want to grow it in a cool, but not cold, place [temps don't get below 13C/55F or above 30C/86F] with lots of rain, and acid soil.

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
              I could be oh-so-wrong, but I don't think the tea plant we drink is the same camellia that blooms in our gardens. Like the difference between ornamental cherry vs. the eating cherry. Same basic plant, but not the one plant for both purposes.
              My grandparents did several trips, their honeymoon was around the world and they loved Japan and China so much [they got married in 1919] they went back for a 6 month vacation [at that point I would almost consider it a distant staycation ...] and she brought back plants and had a chinese garden and a japanese garden and she made matcha green tea from her proper camillia bushes. Got to love the turn of the previous century rich for whack ideas =)

Me? I would love to grow my own coffee and tea, though I would recourse to small appropriate greenhouses for temp and humidity control.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
              X