This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gee, thanks, bank ...

I am trying to get another deferral for my student loan payments, and I will admit I've been procrastinating. So I went to my bank and asked them to block the automatic withdrawals while this was still underway. I paid the fee for a couple of months and went back home.

So today ... I find out the payment has gone through.

The weird thing is that they cannot do a 'block' according to the name of the creditor, but only by the amount of the payment So if this payment is even $1 different from the last one (although it shouldn't be) ... it would've been allowed through.

I was going to rush to the bank tomorrow and find out what happened, but I think I will just run a few errands tomorrow, enjoy the weekend, and wait until next week to hit the bank. The money isn't coming back (at least it will get the student loan people off my back for a month), but if something in the bank's system did screw up, at least I will demand a refund for the fee I paid.

I recently pulled more money from some of my inheritance. Without this withdrawal, it would've gotten me through the next month until my new job starts in October (assuming nothing goes wrong with THAT job). Now I'll have to pull more.

Oh well. There is at least one more estate payout coming (who knows when) and at least ATM I've got the money.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Is the bank saying this about the difference in charges? Cuz that sounds absurd >__<

In any case, see if the company (e.g. Nelnet) that services your loan has income-dependent plans or other things that can get you a temp deferment, on top of whatever else you're trying to work out now. Could beworth a shot.
    Last edited by EricKei; 09-06-2018, 02:32 AM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Wouldn't a creditor changing a payment amount then violate the agreement (you agreed to pay X and they decide to change it to Y to get around a block). That's not right, either by the lender or the bank.

Most loan servicers should have income-based plans. I recently had to recertify mine...and am sending in new paperwork again tomorrow because they think I'm making more money than I actually am
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 09-06-2018, 02:30 AM.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I recently had to do yearly certification on mine. Nothing changed, they just wanted a form saying soo. Oddly, for the first time...well, ever, IIRC, they wanted my actual written signature on the form (instead of just letting me file online and using an e-sig, which it seems designed to do). Took weeks for them to TELL me this, though.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
        X