This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swnomaggeddon 2018 Check In . . .

Yep, we've been hit with the white stuff here. . . . 12 inches measured at the local airport as of this morning!

The folks on the tv news have been calling for this for a week . . . of course they were undecided on when it would move in. Some thought originally during the afternoon Saturday, others said Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Around here, it started overnight Saturday/Sunday. Went to bed around 11 pm and nothing on the ground. Woke up after 7:30 and we already had several inches . . . that's how fast it came down when it moved into town.

Then during the day yesterday we saw it change and by lunchtime we had sleet mixed in, and then it stopped last night and then this morning we had a light additional snowfall.

Needless to say, the car is buried in the back yard, the front walkway and the wheelchair ramp are both buried as well. I called out for today last night by sending a text to the AM, who was supposed to open this morning.

Sent a text to MeMaw around 6:30 . . . she replied back the store shut down yesterday at 1 pm and our perishable order was cancelled (DC couldn't send out the trucks from Salisbury due to road conditions.)

So right now, me and the kitties are holed up in the house (have a few of the adults who decided to go outside in this mess) and catch up on our tv watching. I've already fed Mom and brother, have a few clothes to fold and otherwise I'm finishing up Season 2 of Under The Dome.

And keeping my fingers crossed I can get a ride to work in the morning. . . .
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

You remind me of this...

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      You remind me of this...
      As Petronius Arbiter commanded (non-verbally): "You are required and directed to provide the Door into Summer immediately!"
      RAH! RAH! RAH!
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

It missed me. My In-Laws got a little. They are up near Hellen, GA. Mom did cancel the Christmas party for today. Too many of her guests were coming from higher elevation that got more.

Stay safe.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Charlottesville, VA: Started sometime yesterday, finished overnight. I woke up to 8-10 inches (about as forecast), and a mini-snowplow clearing the development's parking lot. By 1PM when I went out to lunch, the roads were pretty well clear. This was the first real snowfall of the season here -- we had a sprinkle a few days ago, but nothing stuck.

My town got sandbagged some 10 years ago by the first *big* snowstorm in recent memory, which shut down the city for 2 weeks. Afterwards. however, they sensibly made appropriate arrangements and investments, so the next big storm 3 years later only stopped things for 3 days. This one wasn't even close to either of those.
          Last edited by Mental_Mouse; 12-11-2018, 12:39 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I got nothing but rain over the weekend, it was slightly to the north; I've got family that lives just outside of Raleigh that got some snow. There might have been some flurries overnight but I was asleep then.

And to think I moved AWAY from all this cold weather.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Everything was covered here, too. My project manager told me to stay home. I had a rough time getting out into the streets this morning.

My sister in Bristow, VA, didn't get any snow.

Here is a time lapse of the snow in Durham at the 11foot8 bridge.
              This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Today I saw that while roads were mostly clear, there was some ice about thanks to an overnight freeze. We got more melting today and expect another freeze tonight, so this may be an issue for a while.

Comment

I see our female members are not to be satisfied complaining at waking up to 10-12 inches.....

What? 😇
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                    I see our female members are not to be satisfied complaining at waking up to 10-12 inches.....

What? 😇
                    It's not the size that counts.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
                    X