This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question on The Doctor...

Because I think of weird stuff like this.

How does The Doctor pay for stuff? Like clothes. And food (I assume The Doctor eats).

The Doctor's clothes don't just magically change when a regeneration happens, so the new clothes have to come from somewhere, and be paid for by someone.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

The TARDIS creates it. There was an episode that explains is. Maybe I can find it.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
      The TARDIS creates it. There was an episode that explains is. Maybe I can find it.
      That's interesting. I know the TARDIS didn't create the clothes for the new Doctor. She actually went to a shop to get some. She had to make her own sonic screwdriver, too.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Haven't seen the new eps. Not sure why she didn't hit the wardrobe rooms. You have to have appropriate period clothing.

I think the episode was "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS", S07E11. I need to find a copy to double check.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Perhaps the wardrobe rooms need to be stocked for her new form? Ahem.

Comment

I haven't seen the newer seasons, but in a previous one when they needed money the Doctor did something to and ATM and then they had unlimited funds. I always sort of wondered if anyone at some bank eventually had to account for that money.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

The new Doctor hit up her new friends to pay for her outfit XD She didn't have any money at that point. It looked like she was shopping in a thrift shop/charity shop, though, so presumably the outfit didn't cost that much.

But it's a fair question in general. I know there are clothes & things in the TARDIS, I've seen past episodes with companions getting outfitted for a specific time period by rummaging in the store rooms or whatever they're called, but re: money, I don't know. The Doctor does generally seem able to talk his/her way out of a lot of things, so maybe getting food and other supplies happens that way.

This one made her own sonic in somebody's workshop, so she didn't actually have to buy anything, there was a whole bunch of stuff already in the shop.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                ... there was a whole bunch of stuff already in the shop.
                So she stole it honestly.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  So she stole it honestly.
                  Pretty much Although I think the dude who owned it had died? Can't recall at the moment.

But you know, the mention of clothes for the time period is a fair one. Way back in the olden days when I used to watch Pertwee and Tom Baker, etc., they would make a point of dressing the companions to fit into the time period they were going to - at least sometimes. I mean, they couldn't have Leela wandering around Victorian London in her leather tunic

But in one of the new episodes with Jodie Whittaker, they were supposed to be in 1600s England during the time of the anti-witch craze, and yet nobody looked twice at the Doctor and Yaz walking around in trousers. None of their clothing looked anything like the clothes people of the time were wearing, but nobody questioned it. I found that to be a bit of a cop-out. If you're outfitting all the extras, what's a couple more costumes for the stars?

Comment

Maybe they'd developed a usable "Adams field"? (a.k.a. the "Somebody Else's Problem" field?)

Comment

13 couldn't get her Sonic or clothes from the TARDIS - Sexy wasn't available at the time.

But yes - the means differ. Sometimes The Doctor gets stuff from the TARDIS directly, such as new Sonics, clothing etc. Sometimes The Doctor taps into an ATM - personally, I tend to just believe that all The Doctor's really doing there is connecting to a Gallifreyan account, or to their Earth Accounts from all the back pay UNIT never actually mentioned they were paying.
                      The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Quoth Stormraven View Post
                        13 couldn't get her Sonic or clothes from the TARDIS - Sexy wasn't available at the time.

But yes - the means differ. Sometimes The Doctor gets stuff from the TARDIS directly, such as new Sonics, clothing etc. Sometimes The Doctor taps into an ATM - personally, I tend to just believe that all The Doctor's really doing there is connecting to a Gallifreyan account, or to their Earth Accounts from all the back pay UNIT never actually mentioned they were paying.
                        I'm fairly sure the President of The Earth draws a salary, even if she never touches it.

Comment

Quoth Stormraven View Post
                          I tend to just believe that all The Doctor's really doing there is connecting to a Gallifreyan account, or to their Earth Accounts from all the back pay UNIT never actually mentioned they were paying.
                          Well there was a revelation in tonight's show that would contradict the UNIT thing.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                            Well there was a revelation in tonight's show that would contradict the UNIT thing.
                            Yeah, I was kinda hoping she would find a way to contact them anyway, and they would break into whatever facility kept their equipment stored and come roaring down the road to roast some Dalek, but I guess that would've weakened the story's conflict with just the Doc and her friends handling it themselves.

I am still a little annoyed that they didn't address the fact that as far as the world knew, the archaeologist (Lynn?) had killed a bunch of people. How are they going to explain this rampage? Unit's not around to pull strings anymore. Just feels like a loose end the story writers didn't tie up.

Comment

Working...
                            X