This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a performance issue!

In relation to the people who think they know everything about computers, I have (once again) a customer service supervisor who insists one of his employee's computers is having "performance issues" but isn't able to give me more information?

The "Customer service support" is someone who supports a java based application that they use.

Here's the (edited) email chain:

Supervisor's first email:
    (Techs)I spoke to (Cusotmer service support) and he feels the issue (CSR) is having with (Java based web application) is desktop related. Can you run a defrag on her pc to see if that fixes the issue and do you know if all the PCs in (location) are on a scheduled for routine defragment?
    Considering that the CSRs are not supposed to installing and deinstalling applications and they only work with documents and emails, defrag is not necesary considering these PCs routinely get reloaded w/ windoes every 4-6 months (because they routinely break them).

Also, this Java based application is one of the worst applications I've ever seen written and it is just a waste of money. It does the same exact thing as a program we already have, pay for, and use, it's called "Outlook".

My response:
    A defrag rarely resolves any issues with applications, especially Java based applications. I do not want to have the performance of (CSR's) PC severely impacted for as much as 36 hours without knowing for sure it will resolve her issue.

What kind of issues was she having with (Java based web application)?
    Simple question, right?

Sup's response:

This was a suggestion from (customer service support) due to her non (Java based application) PC performance
    So, the first email said she was having issues with the Java appliation and now she isn't?

My response:

Your initial email said that she was having issues with (java app). Is she or is she not having issues with (Java app)?

Also, what issues is she having?
    Again, I'm asking what kind of issues is she having with her PC.

His response:

She is having issues with (Java app) and PC performance issue not related to (Java app) per (Customer service support).
    Again, he refuses to answer my question.

My response:
    "Performance issues" is a very generic term and does not tell us anything. What kind of issues is she having?
    To the point - TELL ME WHAT KIND OF F---ING ISSUES SHE IS HAVING.

His response:
    I"m not an IT expert so I suggest you speak to (customer service support)
    Amazing how he finally acknowledges he's not an "expert" but still doesn't know what kind of issues she is having and also, why is he always telling us what to do? I'm saving this email for prosperity.

Honestly, though, I feel like I am talking to a broken record.

Note: this is the supervisor who is never in the office but logs 20-40 tickets a month and complains that we never resolve his issues quickly. (We do NOT do house calls or calls to their second job).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

This is why I try to talk directly to the person who is having the problem. You're playing telephone, and you're on the end, getting a garbled message passed through two other people. At least the actual user will be able to give you some idea about what they are seeing. Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

i wonder

they say 2 wrongs dont make a right, and we know that 2 idiots break a computer exponentially faster than 1. but can 2 idiots make a genious?

your csr sup sounds like half the techs i had with my logistics job. claimed a+, net+, server certs out the @$$, then asked me how to join a computer to the domain.

draggar you have my deepest sympathies.
      This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
      my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Ah, the issue the user is having. Ready?

She is missing the send button in her application.

Yep, a defrag will definately take care of that!

Edit: I just got a rather strongly worded email from their support stating that it is related to a memory issue and they want me to run a defrag on the PC.

Really now? Then riddle me this:

How come PCs with 1.5-2GB of RAM, SATA drives (faster transfer speeds), and higher processors are having all these issues but old laptops with slower processorers, IDE drives, and 512K of RAM are NOT having the issues? They are all running the same applications.
        Last edited by draggar; 08-21-2008, 11:28 AM.
        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Because, older computers can't get ahead of itself.... seriously.

Windows is not really built for multi-processors, regardless of what microsoft wants to hype. Newer computers have nifty dual-processing and things get done before it needs to be done. Compound that over and over again, you'll get a flaky system.

My older computers, I don't have to wait to start queuing stuff to do. However, my main one. Oh no, I must wait until it's completely ready. Otherwise, errors start coming out. It's my own fault, I like my old software too much.
          I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Some of the systems are not dual core systems (but a lot are). In fact, some of the systems are running the same processor that the 512K systems are.

The systems that are Ok are Toshiba laptops w/ 512K RAM. The ones w/ the same processor are Dell Desktops w/ 1GB (a couple have 2GB).
            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Well, I can speak for the Toshiba laptops. I've had a few. They're rock solid. Hard to kill them.

However, once you said "Dell". That explain everything. Dell has alot of "extra" stuff that have known issues with just about everything.
              I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                Windows is not really built for multi-processors, regardless of what microsoft wants to hype. Newer computers have nifty dual-processing and things get done before it needs to be done. Compound that over and over again, you'll get a flaky system.
                Yet one more reason I'm glad I'm stuck with my single-core x64 processor.
                ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                  Ah, the issue the user is having. Ready?

She is missing the send button in her application.

Yep, a defrag will definately take care of that!
                  Now it is time for war. This supervisor just emailed my DIRECTOR (my boss' boss' boss) claiming that this person's computer is "constantly crashing and always giving her a blue screen of death (most over-used and mis-used term in IT) and that her computer is unuseable.

Interesting how we've gone from no send button to unuseable PC.

Also, I checked this person's drive, - less than 5% fragmented and the majority of it (and the largest fragmented files and most fragments per file) are under my profile or the other IT person's profile which means what MIGHT affect her is <1% fragmented and none of the files are Java or Internet Explorer related.
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                    Now it is time for war. This supervisor just emailed my DIRECTOR (my boss' boss' boss) claiming that this person's computer is "constantly crashing and always giving her a blue screen of death (most over-used and mis-used term in IT) and that her computer is unuseable.

Interesting how we've gone from no send button to unuseable PC.
                    Not interesting. Dangerous. I'm guessing, based on my past experience, the group is lagging behind and not getting work done in a timely manner. The Supervisor is looking for a scapegoat, and has grabbed the handy IT department--after all, that stuff breaks all the time, right? The sup is trying to use the equipment to excuse his department's failures. Your boss needs to counter that immediately with the real facts.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      Not interesting. Dangerous. I'm guessing, based on my past experience, the group is lagging behind and not getting work done in a timely manner. The Supervisor is looking for a scapegoat, and has grabbed the handy IT department--after all, that stuff breaks all the time, right? The sup is trying to use the equipment to excuse his department's failures. Your boss needs to counter that immediately with the real facts.

Don't worry, we have someone who is going to remote in and analyze the error logs etc.. in the computer (the user won't even know it is happening when it does) and check them all out, thoroughly. Too bad I need to go out into the field today so I won't be at this supervisor's beck and call.
                      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I love a good smack down:

I am not including the screenshot of the error log but let's just say there was a long line of "Alert Manager Event Interface" errors.

As can be seen below the machine is undergoing daily bombardment from spyware. 4-5 times a day every day it is finding new spyware. Those do not reload themselves but are a direct result of surfing the internet to sites that load it. This means that the client is spending a large part of the day collecting spyware that is adversely affecting her system performance. There was only one Bluescreen showing on that machine (it keeps track of every one so there have been no others since the last reimage). It was caused by something trying to corrupt Symantec Desktop Firewall…..probably a virus. Looking at her recent cookies I would have to wonder if Craigslist and AutoTrader are accounts that she handles often.

I will be glad to work on her machine but I cannot solve issues that arise at the behavioral level. Let me know how you wish for me to proceed.

VirusScan Enterprise: The file c:\documents and settings\XXXXXXXX\cookies\XXXXXXXX@advertising[1].txt is infected with Cookie-Advertising Potentially Unwanted Program. The file was successfully deleted.(from XXXXXXXX IP XXXXXXXX user SYSTEM running VirusScan Enter 8.0 (ePO) Daily Spy)
                        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                          I love a good smack down:

I am not including the screenshot of the error log but let's just say there was a long line of "Alert Manager Event Interface" errors.

Nice!! Thats a not a good smack down thats a GREAT smack down.....

Comment

Yeah, too bad I didn't write it - it's from the region's lead tech who remoted into the user's PC and checked the error logs on the PC.
                            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I cannot solve issues that arise at the behavioral level.
                              OMG i LOVE that line!

when i worked computers, some of the upper-level people would always complain about their computers... and same thing... THEY were often the worst offenders of illegal software and downloads on the work computers.

and then some people would submit tickets complaining of "x-rated popups" (even while surfing g-rated sites). only problem is... again a behavioral issue... generic g-rated sites don't give you x-rated popups.

lastly... the dreaded "computer doesn't work" trouble call. much nicer when they actually say what's happening, like "computer doesn't turn on" or ... at least SOMETHING more than "doesn't work". bleh

Comment

Working...
                              X