This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to school Shenanigans

(Mods, feel free to correct my title if I misspelled it)

Okay, in a mad attempt to save that little shivering sliver of sanity crying in the corner of my brain, I thought I'd share with you what I've been living through.

When I walked in this morning I had 22 laptops on my bench. A student walked in 3 separate times, each time hoping I'd drop everything, ignoring those 22 laptops and fix his on the spot.

"How long's the 10 foot cable?" (Where's the duct tape when I need to tape shut my mouth?)

Same student "I don't have the same kind of cable as my roommate. Mine is thin, and kinda looks like a phone cable.. but not." So I asked her where she plugged this weird cable into her computer.... it was the modem. So, yes, it was a phone cord.

From the repair form for a computer "(NAC client software) is acting funky. I'm 85% sure I installed everything & 90% sure I did it right..."

Also from repair form "When I plug the cable in, it doesn't work". Yes, when you have your nic disabled, it's not going to work.

More to come.

Anyone else in higher ed hell, post your funnies. Give your shivering sliver of sanity a breather!
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Quoth technical.angel View Post
    When I walked in this morning I had 22 laptops on my bench. A student walked in 3 separate times, each time hoping I'd drop everything, ignoring those 22 laptops and fix his on the spot.
    You should make a board, everytime someone comes in to pesser you about repairing theirs now. Move his/hers to the bottom of that very visible currently being repaired board.
    "How long's the 10 foot cable?" (Where's the duct tape when I need to tape shut my mouth?)
    120 inches or 3 and a third yards. I'm not evil enough to convert it to millimeters.
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
      120 inches or 3 and a third yards. I'm not evil enough to convert it to millimeters.
      but i am, 3048 mm, 0.00189 miles. sorry been a rough weekend needed some evil
      This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
      my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

You should make a board, everytime someone comes in to pesser you about repairing theirs now. Move his/hers to the bottom of that very visible currently being repaired board.
        Too busy.

Being the decently good little techie I am, I'm only working on 3 or 4 laptops at a time.

I would do more, but I only have one memory key on me, and trying to get CDs in everything else is too much trouble.

Comment

"How long's the 10 foot cable?" (Where's the duct tape when I need to tape shut it's mouth?)
          Fixed for my amusement.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

But, see, for some odd reason, I want to KEEP my job.

Of course, today, with my manager's approval, I grabbed the spare cubicle wall and closed off my door. That way, the students quit coming to bug me, since I was the only one not on the phone.

Comment

Twice the distance from the center to one of the ends.
              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Of course, today, with my manager's approval, I grabbed the spare cubicle wall and closed off my door. That way, the students quit coming to bug me, since I was the only one not on the phone.
                You must have some really simple minded users if that actually worked.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Suprisingly just long enough for me to make this noose...
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

"How long's the 10 foot cable?"
                    Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
                    but i am, 3048 mm, 0.00189 miles. sorry been a rough weekend needed some evil
                    Roughly, 1/500th of a mile.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

You know, I figured that would be the line everyone latched onto.

Comment

.0151515151515 furlongs!

And, 22 laptops? I don't feel so bad about not getting the job out there when you tell stories like that. I only had to teach basic Excel skills to someone who has been here longer than I have yesterday.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

On Thursday, my manager counted our repair sheets. I had done 84 computers since the 11th. And that's not counting the students who came in when I was up front and just blasted through their computer instead of having them leave it.

So, in the end, I think it's going to come pretty durn close to me having touched most of the student computers on campus.

Comment

You did remind the boss that if you come into the office with a baseball bat or similarly dangerous object, it's probably time to give you a break?
                            I AM the evil bastard!
                            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I haven't yet, but I think I will now!

Comment

Working...
                              X