This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Hyndis View Post
    Everything is keyed such that it can only physically fit in one way. If it doesn't fit it doesn't below there. If it does fit it does belong there.
    I can quote you two exceptions to this.

One, the miniature power connector that goes to 3½" floppy drives is close enough to one variety of audio-in connector on some older sound cards to be able to plug in there. Obviously that's not where it belongs. I've never done this myself, not being a total imbecile, but heard of it happening once. (And I still have a CD-to-sound-card audio cable with three different plugs paralleled at the sound card end, one of which is identical to the floppy power connector.)

Two, the said connector can be plugged in where it does belong, on the back of the floppy drive, but shifted one pin to the left. This has the effect of connecting either the +5 or the +12 directly to ground. (The two outer pins are grounds, so if you shift it, at least one of the hot pins is grounded.) This did happen to me, causing the almost-new Antec power supply to say "Phut!" and yield up the magic smoke, roughly ⅛ of a second after I hit the power button.
    Last edited by Shalom; 07-12-2010, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Whats a floppy drive?

Haven't seen or used one of those in a long time!

Comment

Add to the fact the floppy disk is currently being phased out.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
          Whats a floppy drive?
          A guy with ED who's got the hots for a chick?

*ducks and runs*
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
            A guy with ED who's got the hots for a chick?

*ducks and runs*
            Back in the day, we figured that a good date was like a good PC:
            Dual floppies paired with a hard drive.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Back in the day, we figured that a good date was like a good PC:
              Dual floppies paired with a hard drive.
              OW OW OW OW!

Ginger Ale through the nose hurts!
              I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

You should have sold it to him. the results would have been... interesting. ::evil laugh::

Comment

A floppy drive is still required to load disk-controller device drivers during WinXP install - which is absolutely required if you want to use your modern SATA hard drives at full capability. That's unless you have the wherewithal to slipstream them into a fresh CD.

But that's about it these days.

Comment

XP is a very old operating system, and soon all support for it will end. Its already been extended, but its a nearly 10 year old OS.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                      Well, now I'm curious. Midorikawa, you have access to some serious voltage. Go hook up a 120mm fan to a line.

Or we can send it to

http://www.willitblend.com/videos.as...e&video=iphone
                      haha. I'll have to build a rig to test it, and video tape the whole thing for submission to youtube. :-D

I saw a guy hook up a speaker to line voltage. It made lots of 60Hz noise before melting and making lots of smoke. :-D
                      Coworker: Distro of choice?
                      Me: Gentoo.
                      Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
                        haha. I'll have to build a rig to test it, and video tape the whole thing for submission to youtube. :-D
                        Why does this sound like the kind of experiment that has the warning "blast shield required?"
                        I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

I showed this thread to a friend (who hasn't made an account here yet) and this was her response:

"That almost makes me want to suggest they should send in the idea to Mythbusters. Even if it's not "precisely a myth" (though people have heard incorrect connectors/things exploding), they might do it on a special, and then everybody gets to see what happens to lots of random crap that's not designed to be hooked up that way."
                          "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                          - H. Beam Piper

Comment

But it is a myth: someone says that a computer fan can be used as a standalone fan to cool anything
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                              I can quote you two exceptions to this.
                              I can add a third. You can stick a 12V PCIe power plug into a 12V CPU plug (IIRC 6 pin into 4). IN the process you're shorting 12V to ground. Luckily for an unnamed fumble fingered idiot the excellent engineers at SilverStone implemented a short protection system that has a fast enough response time that nothing suffered damage. The PSU did however show its ire by waiting about 5-10 minutes before it was willing to respond to the power on signal from the mobo; which did give me a scare.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                                Why does this sound like the kind of experiment that has the warning "blast shield required?"
                                I have a blast shield of sorts. It's 1/4" thick plexiglass, and while it's not strong enough to do the stuff the mythbusters do, it's strong enough to wire a case fan to mains and be safe. I plan on doing this come next payday. I'll have to find a place to do this, since I'm almost positive the condo park I live in will frown on this activity. :-P
                                Coworker: Distro of choice?
                                Me: Gentoo.
                                Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Working...
                                X