This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank Goodness for Ninja-Like Moves

So this happened many many years ago when I first started working the Customer Service desk. It was just after the Christmas season but deep into the return season and I was alone running the Customer Service desk. Up comes this guy in his 40's and son in his 20's.

Dad: I need to return this camera.
    Me: Sure! Do you have the receipt or gift receipt?
    Dad: No this was a gift for my son.
    Son: Yeah it didn't work I just want cash or store credit for it.

I pick up the box and started looking it over to make sure nothing was removed and what not when I noticed this bright green sticker from Mart-of-Walls on it and I was at their evil counterpart Red Bullseye.

Me: I'm sorry sit, but I can't return...
    Dad: You ARE going to return this and give me back my money!
    Me: But....
    Dad: NO! YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE ME BACK MY MONEY OR ELSE!
    Me: Sir, this was brought from Mart-of-Walls.
    Dad: ARE YOU CALLING MY FRIEND WHO BROUGHT THIS FOR MY SON A LIAR?!?!?
    Me: The sticker is right here.

He then grabbed the camera out of the box and the next thing I know, he chucks it at me as hard as he could. I moved luckily but it still hit my ear just barely. He was gone before I could even get management to come up front. If I didn't move the way I did, I would have taken that camera to the face.

Later that night Security and I were talking and we decided to see if the camera actually worked. Sure enough it wasn't broken (or hitting the wall fixed it) and for the 8 years I was there, that camera was the camera used for everything.

And that's the story as to why retail workers should take lessons from Ninjas for their own safety.

The Ninja are more honorable and trustworthy then the Samurai.

Nice that you got a free camera out of the deal.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

So much wrong with this. Firstly, what's so hard to understand about the cashier pointing towards a sticker that proves the camera was purchased at a completely different store? Secondly, why shout and cuss about it, when it's so obviously YOU who got it wrong? Thirdly, and the biggest no no of them all, WHY would you throw a heavy object at the cashier who is only doing her job?

I'm sorry he caught your ear, but lucky it wasn't worse. People just suck.

Comment

And last but not lease

W-M I hear is very loose with their return policy. (Has this changed?) If he had everything in the box then he could had returned it there for money or at-least store credit.

Does the OP have any idea how much the camera was worth? While W-M sells some cheap cameras I have also seen models costs a few hundred dollars there.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          Does the OP have any idea how much the camera was worth? While W-M sells some cheap cameras I have also seen models costs a few hundred dollars there.
          This happened maybe 2004/2005 (Wow, doesn't seem that long ago). I remember is was a Nikon Point and Shoot. Maybe $150 but with Christmas sales, who knows how much it actually cost.

A normal person would have thanked me for pointing out the error and headed over to the other store but noooooo! Not this guy. It was just one of those weeks (the same week I got nailed by a guy with a Chilidog because his onions weren't fresh).

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me my first Christmas Eve working at the C-Store. The camera went between myself and my AM at the time, and hit the cigarette rack behind us. Luckily, it was just a disposable one, but still, a scary moment. Glad you weren't hurt by that lunatic!!
            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

W-M I hear is very loose with their return policy. (Has this changed?) If he had everything in the box then he could had returned it there for money or at-least store credit.
              I don't think so it's changed. I heard someone say that they were going to "rent" something from Malwart, and I responded that I didn't know they did rentals. And the explanation was that they were going to buy something, use it, then return it. I was not impressed.

I have had multiple occasions where someone has been mad at me because we aren't our competitor. One specific time involved some ribbon. SC needed more, and claimed to have bought it at my store recently. I scan it, but the UPC won't come up on the handheld. As the lady rants ("it's for a wedding, I can't believe you move things so often, blah, blah") I notice on the label it says, "made exclusively for Competitor" I also had someone ask if the competitor carried something, and I said I didn't know, and she said, "well, aren't they your partner store?" No, DIRECT COMPETITOR is the term you're looking for.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Could the sticker have just been one W-M puts on to identify merchandise coming in from outside? So it might have been bought elsewhere and for some reason taken into W-M without a bag and gotten stickered.

REGARDLESS of that, throwing the items is NOT a proper response. In fact, I can't think of any case when you are doing a consumer return where throwing is a proper step in the process. (For a sports return, throwing might be fine. )

Comment

It has been some time since I worked at the Walls of Mart, but I can verify that not even a box or anything else was needed. I was CSM when somebody brought in a rubber.. object (No clue what it was supposed to be sorry). No sticker, no box, no receipt. I refused to return it, management was called, wanted me to return it. Nope, not going to happen. Manager had to sign in with their code, and do the return, I wasn't touching that return with a 20' pole. Now note.. they took the customer's word what it was, how much it was, etc.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                    ... throwing the items is NOT a proper response. In fact, I can't think of any case when you are doing a consumer return where throwing is a proper step in the process. (For a sports return, throwing might be fine. )
                    Actually, it is also a proper response if you are about to be caught in the act of your fraud, and need a distraction so you can run out the door...
                    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                      Actually, it is also a proper response if you are about to be caught in the act of your fraud, and need a distraction so you can run out the door...
                      This was exactly my thinking too. How much do you want to bet that they stole the camera from Mart of Walls in the hopes of being able to get cash for it elsewhere? The sticker was the undoing of their nefarious plan.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                        How much do you want to bet that they stole the camera from Mart of Walls in the hopes of being able to get cash for it elsewhere?
                        I used to get this, back in the dark ages when I worked overnights at the Aid of Right. This one character would shoplift blood glucose test strips from the Chain of Verylarge Stores and try to return them to us for credit, or failing that, to exchange for cigarettes (which are as good as cash, some places). I pointed out the СVЅ "security" sticker on it and told him he didn't buy that here, and there wasn't any way he was getting any credit for it. He wasn't happy, but he didn't get anything from us.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                          I also had someone ask if the competitor carried something, and I said I didn't know, and she said, "well, aren't they your partner store?" No, DIRECT COMPETITOR is the term you're looking for.
                          Customer would be VERY surprised and annoyed if they called a certain Atlanta-based soft drink company to ask where they could buy Wild Cherry Pepsi locally, and the company refused to answer.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

When I was working at Kinfolk Dollar (many, many moons ago), we would get people in there all the time with an ad for Dollar Admiral and they would insist it was the same store.
                            "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                              When I was working at Kinfolk Dollar (many, many moons ago), we would get people in there all the time with an ad for Dollar Admiral and they would insist it was the same store.
                              I think the fact that some stores take competitor coupons has confuse some SCs to the point that they can't tell the stores apart.
                              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Working...
                              X