X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap entitled non-customer

I took this phone call the other day.

Me: *standard spiel*
    SC: "Yeah, I called and left a couple messages the other day and also sent a few emails but no one has gotten back to me. I wanted to see about getting a $99 rate for July. You used to do that all the time and I was hoping to get it again. Can you see if you can get that rate for me?"

Note: Our starting rates for our most basic room in July are typically $250-$280 range, depending on the date. That's for the most basic, no-frills, no-view room we have, so I'm thinking hell no.

Me: "I'm sorry, I can't authorize a rate that low."
    SC: "Is there a manager I can talk to?"
    Me: "He's not in but I can take a message."
    SC: "I've left messages already but okay, we'll try it."

I looked up the SC's history. I found one reservation from way back in 2000 that was $99. She also stayed once in 2013 right after we reopened (after being closed for one year) and were offering fantastic we're-reopen-please-come-back-really-we're-begging-you deals, where she paid $190 for a room and sizeable meal credit. So yeah, not much consistent customer history there.

I asked my manager about her.
    Manager: "Oh yes, I know her. As soon as I saw the name I knew who it was before I even opened the email. I've had a couple conversations with her already about the same thing. I told her we didn't have that rate and told her we were offering other rates now."
    Me: "Really? She said she's called and left messages and no one's gotten back to her. She's a liar!"
    Manager: "I know, can you imagine?"
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

1. I like your manager

2. Good god, I deal with plenty of greedy entitled people in the wireless business but the hospitality industry seems to be full of them too. I wouldn't expect anywhere except either a low quality motel or a Super 8 in Podunk, Iowa for $99 in July. Heck, most places don't even have WINTER rates that low!
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

And people wonder why those of us who work with the public are so cynical about it.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I got $78/night rooms before. Long term stay hotel, I stayed for 3 weeks (only way to get the cheaper rate). Then Locally, when we were replacing the hot water heater (I work nights, sleep days), the hotel was $75/night. Of course, the town is 5,000 people strong.

Other then that, Motel 6 in Topeka, KS. $55/night, I slept with my 1911 45-cal pistol beside me. Ya, I think I should have paid a lot more for someplace nicer, and safer.
        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Lucky for them you had rooms in July. Here in Sandy Eggo, for one week in July, the nearest available hotel/motel room would be at least 75 miles away (or maybe in Tijuana.) Comic-Con books every room in the county. Heck, a couple of friends of mine had to drive 90 miles once to find a room - and that was before Con was selling out.

Lady, be glad they even have a room available.
          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

I rarely pay three digits for lodging...but then I mainly stay at places just off the interstate in towns I never heard of.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

So an update:

Catering Manager (CM) got a voicemail from this SC. In the voicemail, SC said that she'd been told CM that she'd been told CM was in charge of her room reservations and that she'd sent CM info and was upset she hadn't heard back. (CM, on the other hand, had received no information and in no way gets involved with individual reservations anyway unless it's a group VIP she's bringing in to wine & dine.) CM emailed FOM because SC didn't leave a contact number but "she spent most of the call telling me how disappointed she was in [The Resort]'s guest service."

While SC didn't mention a $99 rate, it seems likely that her "disappointment" in our service is because she's been told "no" multiple times.

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
              I rarely pay three digits for lodging...but then I mainly stay at places just off the interstate in towns I never heard of.
              The motel I used to work at is advertising $55 rates. The Resort, of course, is a bit different market from an off-interstate motel...
              Last edited by bhskittykatt; 01-14-2015, 08:04 PM.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

[SARCASM:] Don't you realize that no is so rude?[/End Sarcasm]
                Also I would certainly hope that a resort would have a different clientle than a roadside place.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Hey, I once got a good hotel rate 18 years ago... you can match that, right?

People.

Comment

SC said that she'd been told CM that she'd been told CM was in charge of her room reservations
                    She's really reaching there, isn't she?

I'm always amazed by the lengths some people will go to, to try to knock a few bucks off of something they want to buy.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      I'm always amazed by the lengths some people will go to, to try to knock a few bucks off of something they want to buy.
                      Try working in a thrift store. I've had people go into furies when told that an item that just hit the sales floor THAT DAY will NOT be marked down. We're talking items priced at a dollar or two here.

Price tag alterations are popular, too.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                        Hey, I once got a good hotel rate 18 years ago... you can match that, right?

People.
                        Sure, I can match that old $99 rate in todays dollars... factoring into account that $1 18 years ago is worth approximately $2.15 today, that will make your bill... $212.85 plus tax, plus tip. Enjoy your stay at Roach Incorporated Hotels! /sarcasm

(disclaimer: $1 18 years ago may not necessarily actually be worth $2.15 in 2015 currency)
                        Violets are blue,
                        Roses are red,
                        I bequeath to thee...
                        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I once stayed in a motel for $3.00 a night. That was in 1967. Using an inflation calculator it comes to $21.26 in 2014. Having all those roaches crawling around under the mattress will give me a good back massage.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I've stayed in cheap hotels for two digits; of course, we're talking Holiday Inn types of hotels here.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

MOAR UPDATES!

So she's here (and is paying a triple-digit rate, thankfully, though they somehow got a free waterview upgrade).

They ordered room service and told the room service person that they are "culinary distributor" for the restaurant and that the food was to be comped per Head Chef. Room service asked me, and there were no notes on the reservation, so I called and asked Head Chef.

Head Chef told me that he's never heard of the guest and never approved any sort of comped food.

So I noted it on their reservation and sent an email to the desk to make sure that we get paid for their food orders. I'm also going to add a note in the program for the dining room to make sure they don't try and comp breakfast there in the morning.

I unfortunately won't be here in the morning to see their plans to scam free food collapse, but I'm sure justice will be swift and sweet....

Comment

Working...
                              X