This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
    Next off, claiming to have been military and receiving some sort of benefit for it. VA benefits, a free pancake, 10% off your ice cream cone, etc, money doesn't matter, it has value.

Title 18 USC Sec. 912. Officer or employee of the United States
    Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any department, agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
    That unfortunately doesn't seem to cover retired military, since you wouldn't be claiming to be acting under any authority.

Comment

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
      You'll find that it's relatively hard to find a "real" uniform at a military surplus store. Tons upon tons of fatigues, but fatigues are just clothing without the rank markings and other "distinctive items" From my understanding,(never been military, but family & friends have been) when the military refers to a uniform they're almost always talking about the dress uniform.
      Fatigues are pretty common, actually. Plain olive green clothing with nothing other than the soldier's last name on it. We had a few Army/Navy surplus stores here, and they didn't sell any dress uniforms or badges/awards, anything like that. I remember wearing my dad's Vietnam-era fatigues and my grandfather's WWII helmet for Halloween several years. Combine those items with some face paint, a wooden rifle, and I had a cheap costume.

First off would be just claiming to have been military without fraudulent intent or advanced awards. Not sure if this is still an unenforceable bit protected under free speech or not. Still kinda slimy, imho, but they're not getting any "thing of value"
      There's not much you can really do about it, especially online. Locally, quite a few "keyboard soldiers" seem to exist on message boards. They tend to go quiet if you ask them their rank and unit. These guys enjoy bragging about their "service" and the reaction that it usually brings. Well, until the story falls apart anyway

Next off, claiming to have been military and receiving some sort of benefit for it. VA benefits, a free pancake, 10% off your ice cream cone, etc, money doesn't matter, it has value.
      That's the sort of thing that pisses me off. My dad *volunteered* to serve during Vietnam. Even though he got spit on when he returned, he was one of the lucky ones. Many of his friends didn't come back at all. Those that did...are still dealing with wartime issues. It's still common to hear about homeless vets, vets with violent flashbacks, and other problems from that era. Dad did his share of being unemployed during the 1980s and not being able to claim benefits. He got very lucky to arrive home in one piece, and put his life back together by going back to school with the GI Bill.

With that said, I don't blame our vets for being pissed when someone takes advantage of things.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
        I have seen them, and recognized the various cards we do and do not accept per corporate guidelines. Even if a vet doesn't have the proper ID I ask if they have our store credit card, as that would give them at least a 5% discount. The guy was just a jerk though. I have already told the head cashiers that I am refusing service and/or jacking up the prices for him if I check him out again.
        My driver's license identifies me as a Vet. I don't ask about Vet discounts and I don't usually go to places on Veterans day for the free stuff because its always really crowded. Free pancakes? Nope, not going to stand in line for them. A free oil change? OK, I'll do that if I have time to spend 4 hours waiting.

Now, I've sometimes had people see my license and give me a Vet's discount without me asking. Its probably because I am not a jerk.

Quoth protege View Post
        That's the sort of thing that pisses me off. My dad *volunteered* to serve during Vietnam. Even though he got spit on when he returned, he was one of the lucky ones. Many of his friends didn't come back at all. Those that did...are still dealing with wartime issues. It's still common to hear about homeless vets, vets with violent flashbacks, and other problems from that era. Dad did his share of being unemployed during the 1980s and not being able to claim benefits. He got very lucky to arrive home in one piece, and put his life back together by going back to school with the GI Bill.

With that said, I don't blame our vets for being pissed when someone takes advantage of things.
        Please thank your dad for me. My dad (Korea Vet) used to take me to the airport with homemade cookies for the returning Vietnam vets. Some of the things I saw and heard still make me want to cry.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          Not always, they usually give a vague "some girl" description.
          Which can count against them. XD One of my colleagues told me about a customer demanding that her expired coupon be honoured, cuz apparently she was there last Tuesday and the girl took it. The second manager came out and said, "That's funny, cuz last Tuesday only me and Alex were working, and neither of us is a girl." Customer went bright red and shut up. I always love it when customers are caught out on their lies.

Regarding the OP, that's something that doesn't happen over here, but I once was waiting in line at the bank when a woman tried to push in front of me claiming that since her husband was in the army, I should move out the way. I replied that both my grandads fought in World War 2 (one in the navy, one in the army) so therefore, that trumped her claim. Honestly.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            Also, AFAIK, some states are putting veteran status on drivers licenses now.
            They are indeed. Unfortunately, at least in Ohio, the sum total of proof you must provide to get the military service logo on your driver's license is to answer "yes" to the questions "did you serve in the military?" and "do you want your license to reflect your military service?".
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
              I once was waiting in line at the bank when a woman tried to push in front of me claiming that since her husband was in the army, I should move out the way. I replied that both my grandads fought in World War 2 (one in the navy, one in the army) so therefore, that trumped her claim. Honestly.
              Too bad you didn't use a fake German accent when telling her about your grandfathers, and use the appropriate terms for the 2 relevant branches of the Service (Kriegsmarine, Wermarcht).
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

That's Wehrmacht. But probably the Luftwaffe is better-known than either.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Too bad you didn't use a fake German accent when telling her about your grandfathers, and use the appropriate terms for the 2 relevant branches of the Service (Kriegsmarine, Wermarcht).
                  My wife could have real fun with that--while she's Canadian, both of her parents were born in Germany, she can speak German (far better than I do), and one of her grandfathers actually was in the Wehrmacht during WWII.
                  "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth Crankybadger View Post
                    I'm of two minds on this subject. I love that people/stores are honoring the Vets and that they get discounts and the promotions that Vets get on Veterans Day in places like Applebee's and Outback. But not all veterans carry picture IDs. I did 6 years in the Navy, so since I didn't retire, I don't have a picture ID, and I have been told MANY times that my DD214 papers (Honorable Discharge) don't count. So because I'm no longer in, but didn't go a full 20, somehow that doesn't qualify me as a Vet. I keep track of those places and just don't give them my money.
                    The only people who think that a "veteran" is only a classification for those who did at least 20 years of military service are those who NEVER served at all.

Hell, the closest they ever got to a military life is by watching it on TV.

Comment

Working...
                    X