X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just all-around suck (probably including mine)--ridiculous day today

Please allow me to vent.

So, background: Our holiday people have been let go, so when it gets busy there are fewer people to handle it. On top of that, one cashier just quit and another was fired, and a front-end supervisor is gone for whatever reason (wouldn't blame her if she quit). This past week, due to arctic blast, people stayed home, and today it warmed up. They decided to get all the stuff they didn't buy before. It was like Christmas all over again. It was so crazy that the phone operator spent most of her afternoon cashiering while answering phonecalls. One customer got hung up on several times and was royally ticked. I don't blame her. And I had agreed to work 9 hours instead of 4 because I like my boss. I regretted that decision all day because my carpal tunnel is flaring up badly in addition to my usual pain. I took 10 pills in the space of 8 hours: anti-inflammatory, OTC pain med, and a prescription opiate. Ugh.

Our customers are blind. If you looked around while shopping or at the front lanes, you could've seen how busy and understaffed we were. And yet, people kept asking me if it was a bad day or being surprised that a mall store should be so busy on a Saturday. I know some could see it on my face, and they had to be the ones who asked how I was and I struggled to be civil. I was definitely not the standard of friendliness as I struggled through pain and being just overwhelmed by the crowds constantly coming at me, not to mention struggling to keep bags stocked or even just to open the darn things, and having a 1 1/2 foot counter. I was on the hated small lane. Anyway, I feel I shouldn't take it out on people, but I just couldn't be cheerful enough and I wouldn't be surprised if I got complaints.

Get off the phone so I can help you. Now usually this doesn't bother me if the customer is on what sounds like an important multi-tasking call and acknowledges me. I understand; we all live in a time-crunch and sometimes have to shop on a lunch break and take care of some situation. But I needed to communicate that this lady's soda was leaking and I couldn't sell her the completely-sliced-open dog treats. Well, I managed to get her off the phone and struggled to get a salesfloor person to grab more soda. I ended up leaving the front lanes, hoping I wouldn't get yelled at, to get the dog food. There just was no one to help and the two items were at opposite ends of the store. When I got back and got it all worked out, she was nice about it and was sympathizing with me, asking if the store was having a bad day. I told her yes, and as an example, blurted out "I can't feel my left hand and this is crazy up here!" She wasn't really offended, maybe surprised, though, and said, "They won't let you go home??" I told her that it wasn't probable. At the end she thanked me sincerely for making sure she was taken care of. I forgave her for the phone. So this is where the problem might come in: Some lady up ahead heard my blurted statement and turned around with a kind of horrified look on her face. She will probably complain on the survey. Good thing she doesn't have my name. I really shouldn't have said it. Supervisor was amused, though.

$41 in coin change at the end of the night, right before my poor coworker, who works two jobs, was to go home. I noticed that her customer was taking a while to check out, and I assumed it was coupons or something. I also didn't know CW was leaving; I thought her light was off because of whatever they were trying to work out. Finally, CW asked me if we could take a bag of coins. I thought maybe she meant a few dollars, not 41, so I said yeah, but they had to be counted out. When I saw how much was there I went over and started to help. I got a small bin and as we counted we dumped it in there for me to take care of later. At one point CW turned around and let me know she was supposed to go at 9:00 and I felt bad. As soon as I could I took over because the lady wanted some other stuff she didn't know she had enough money for, and CW was already 20 minutes over. I kept the light off. Of course right then we had our mall-door-is-closing rush because people can't plan ahead, and this was shortly after a few cashiers had gone home. There was me and another cashier, and the supervisor was taking down drawers and couldn't hop on. The line at the other register was like 15 people deep because I kept turning people away as I sorted through all that change; I couldn't leave it out. The line was to my left, kind of behind me, and people kept looking over at what I was doing and I ignored that. So akward. One lady asked the sup "There's only one register open?" and I heard him simply say "Yep." That was it; he was not going to get roped into an argument. I almost laughed because I am sick of the complaints at us when the district manager determines payroll. He told me later that another lady complained that we should call people up from the floor [we had been all night!] and he replied, "This is what they scheduled for me." I asked what she did and he said she just harrumphed and walked away. We are going to get so many complaints about today.

You're not special; don't walk up to a lane with the light off. So finally I got free to actually ring people up and as it got to leaving time, I turned off my light. I finished up with my last custy right at 9:30 when some lady tried to come to me. I immediately told her I was closing, which made her mad, but she didn't throw a fit. She went to the mile-long line. I may have taken her on another day, but at this point I'd been there 8 hours and 45 minutes and I was just done. Plus, she'd assumed she could pass up all those waiting people over there. Just...nope.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Wow, that sucks! I totally feel your pain (literally too as I suffer with degenerative disc disease, which means back pain and nerve pain all the damn time. Standing aggravates it). There's nothing worse than feeling like shit, trying to ignore the physical pain as well as endure the mental pain of being overworked, understaffed and customers yelling at YOU as if it's all your fault. When I worked at Land of Quid, I was a cashier and towards the end of my time there, the shop had gone down hill. We had to fire three coworkers, just after a handful of others had handed in their notices. In the end, there was our boss, one supervisor and three sales assistants, including me, and because this all happened together, the boss didn't have the time to get anyone else in. He did, eventually, but I'd left then because I was also working my notice (handed it in before the shit hit the fan). He asked me to stay, but I said no. I just couldn't do it. Anyway, during my last couple of weeks, the lines used to be massive, we kept running out of stock because there was hardly anyone to replenish it and customers got really really annoyed. It was HELL and when I finally got out of there I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

Comment

A weight lifted, literally! I have the same disease as you; at least it's comforting to know someone understands.

Comment

I understand money is tight, but $41 in change?

I would say change machines, but those cost money. Banks, but you Have to have an account with them before they are willing to look at you (I assume they could not afford to have a bank account).

I save my change, I have about $100. I will probably take it to the bank one of these days. I will only use it (at a store) if I am feeling particularly EVIL, and I am not that evil.
        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Jeesh, and I thought getting $5 or $10 in change dropped on me was annoying!
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Try getting $100 in penny rolls. Still, yours is worse...loose change.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post

I would say change machines, but those cost money.
              The one in my store does not charge a fee so long as you ask for a gift card to a number of different stores (Best Buy, iTunes, GameStop, ect.)...I'm surprised more people don't do this. Helped a lady out just this afternoon with her coins (two of which were stuck together with a wad of gum. Good thing I was wearing gloves at the time), and she cycled through three screens of potential gift card options before settling on cash...and then was all like, "Oooo, how much was taken out...?" If I had sixty dollars' worth of loose change, I'd select a Best Buy card in a heartbeat.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                The one in my store does not charge a fee so long as you ask for a gift card to a number of different stores (Best Buy, iTunes, GameStop, ect.)
                That's interesting. The ones in a local grocery store chain allow you to get a gift card for that store, but I'd love to get one for another store.

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                  That's interesting. The ones in a local grocery store chain allow you to get a gift card for that store, but I'd love to get one for another store.
                  At my store we have an entire endcap just for gift cards for various stores/restuarants/iTunes/Google Play/Visa/MC/you name it, we probably have it.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                    At my store we have an entire endcap just for gift cards for various stores/restuarants/iTunes/Google Play/Visa/MC/you name it, we probably have it.
                    Oh, my local grocery store chain has that too, but I was commenting on what Monterey Jack said about using the CoinStar machine at a grocery store and using those funds to get a gift card for stores other than that grocery store.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post

Our customers are blind. If you looked around while shopping or at the front lanes, you could've seen how busy and understaffed we were. And yet, people kept asking me if it was a bad day or being surprised that a mall store should be so busy on a Saturday.
                      Serious. Around Halloween, when the fabric store is wall to wall customers, every SINGLE person says "wow, it sure is busy!" Thanks for pointing that out. People outside of the retail world (or call centers or any other job this might apply to) really don't understand how awful repetitive small talk can be.

For example, my mom is very sweet, and would never be knowingly mean to a stranger. However, she is one of those people who gets their receipt, takes a couple steps, then stops to read that receipt. If something is wrong, or she thinks it is, she will try to talk to the cashier who is now helping someone else. In most cases, if there really was a mistake she needs to go to customer service. It's one of my personal pet peeves from my work, and she does not at all get why. She has never worked retail.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I thought of this thread while I was cashiering tonight. Twice, people tuened in quarters for packs of smokes. Both times, I thought of the poor OP and her coworker, and the $41 in change. I can't even imagine what a pain that must've been. Both of them knew, too...they both said I was gonna hate them. We all know THAT'S a favorite to hear!
                        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I felt worse for my coworker, but yes, the daggers at my back as I was counting were uncomfortable. I'm just continually angry that Fridays and Saturdays are like this. Heck, even Monday was. One particular salesfloor girl spent her entire shift cashiering this past Monday. I couldn't thank her enough, nor grocery guy, who got very little done in his dept. At one point I had to tell him, "Send someone else. You have enough to do!" I hope tonight is better, and tomorrow I'm cafe, which will be hard, but not like last Saturday. I'm off this Saturday and not answering my phone if it's work; I have an 80s birthday party to go to!

Comment

I feel your pain. My PT job was insane each and every day I worked from before Thanksgiving until right before I left for the holidays. At which point I worked 6 out of 8 days, on top of my FT job. I was cranky, crabby, and sick of it all. And sitll had to contend with customers who complained about how little stock we had (why yes, 3 solid weeks of awesome sales will deplete it) and whine about how they couldn't get stuff ordered and in time for Christmas, without paying a ton for expedited shipping. Again, your problem, not mine.

I've concluded, now that I had some time off with famiy, and its slowed down, that the job is what made me crazy and stressed. But I'm hoping to be able to quit in May, so there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                              ... I have an 80s birthday party to go to!
                              You're that old and still have to work?

Guess I'd better forget about any Social Security being left for me!
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X