Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tow Files: The Winter of YOUR Discontent!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth fireheart View Post
    Actually from experience, it would likely be private education rather than public. Private schools tend to be notoriously focused on "looking good" and priding themselves on producing the best-looking students, but it takes a lot of hand-holding.
    My spelling difficulties can be traced directly to public schooling and the educational fad of "phonetic spelling" that swept through when I was in the first and second grades. I still have to pay close attention to my spelling, or I slip into foolish mistakes.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I had a few friends I knew in middle school who ended up in a private high school, and they could write some excellent papers, man. However, I noticed as time went by, there was a lack of what I consider "practical" knowledge. This particular private school was exclusively focused on getting the students into the Ivy League. I felt like it stifled any originality or creativity. Not that I'm ragging on private schools, this is just my observations from a specific school. Oh, for perspective, a year of pre-school would cost $18k, high school, $25k.

My public high school did focus on getting students into college, yes, but also on vocational schools, running start (it's like dual enrollment, you would also attend college), and I had some great teachers who really wanted to teach. I also got to take fun hippie classes like glass art, and walking fitness where we learned some simple relaxation techniques.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Not meaning to thread-jack, but I have a question. If someone stupidly leaves her headlights on and comes out to a dead car on a dark and stormy night, how much should the nice tow truck driver be tipped? I only had $10 in cash, so that's what I gave him. (He took my card for the $30 fee.) Was that enough? I was very grateful to him and I'm wondering if I should send a check to the towing service for more money for him.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
          My spelling difficulties can be traced directly to public schooling and the educational fad of "phonetic spelling" that swept through when I was in the first and second grades. I still have to pay close attention to my spelling, or I slip into foolish mistakes.
          I remember the "tagline" (BBS equivalent of a message board sig - remember BBSes, when 2400 baud was considered a fast modem?) when a certain "promote literacy" product was popular: "Huked on Fonix wurked for me".
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Back in 2nd grade, I was forced to do cursive writing drills... because that was apparently going to be expected of me at some time in "the future" and if I didn't know how to do it, I'd be sorry...

It's been 30 years.

They ever going to test me on that or what? *

Can I file that away with the TI-82 calculator, the apple II, the protractor, the compass and the other stuff they told me I had to know how to use too?

* I really shouldn't tempt fate like that, because, now I'm envisioning a nightmare scenario wherein the nurse attending to me in my bed at the nursing home comes in with a tablet and pencil and says "30 T's this morning campers! And remember, I see one loop on the upstroke and you don't get your liver pill!"
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Tip

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
              Not meaning to thread-jack, but I have a question. If someone stupidly leaves her headlights on and comes out to a dead car on a dark and stormy night, how much should the nice tow truck driver be tipped? I only had $10 in cash, so that's what I gave him. (He took my card for the $30 fee.) Was that enough? I was very grateful to him and I'm wondering if I should send a check to the towing service for more money for him.
              That was a 33% tip for service. I think that is a very good tip indeed.

Mind you I gave a $20 tip to the CAA guy who helped me change my tire in Quebec. Also mind you, one of my lugs was partly stripped and he had to get a special bit to take it off. If I had tried to do it by myself I would had been stuck so the tip was for doing a good job that I could not do myself.
              Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 02-02-2015, 09:40 PM.

Comment

My education wasn't exactly normal.

This is my high school:

http://www.uncsa.edu

And my elementary school:

http://www.carrollton.org

We moved out of Florida for a few years, so middle school was a public school in the area we moved to, then high school was the boarding school I linked to.

I think I got an excellent education, with an interesting mix of private and public schools. NCSA is actually run by the state university system, so it's technically public, but has an agreement with the state to run the high school program that's similar to charter schools. I think I got the best of all worlds.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                  Back in 2nd grade, I was forced to do cursive writing drills... because that was apparently going to be expected of me at some time in "the future" and if I didn't know how to do it, I'd be sorry...

It's been 30 years.

They ever going to test me on that or what? *

Can I file that away with the TI-82 calculator, the apple II, the protractor, the compass and the other stuff they told me I had to know how to use too?
                  I vaguely recall those in the 3rd grade (around 1977-78 year) where we had to do that.

Only time I use cursive is when I have to sign my name. Seems as if handwriting is becoming a lost art now.

If I'm doodling my to-do lists on my clipboard (this helps me keep everything straight in my head also) I use a combination of print and cursive. I'm strange that way.

But yeah, Algebra, Geometry I have NOT had to use hardly at work. That year of consumer math I took (senior year) has served me far better than figuring up angles and x into y equals z (when I can't even figure out what x, y and z stand for.)

And althought I can't recall how to write a program in BASIC or RPG II, I can figure out how to fix my laptop if there's a software issue or something sneaks in and tries to create havoc. Go figure.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

A lot of things are learned in school which may never be used in adult life. However, because sutdent A has never any need for algebra or geometry, student B will use it for years and years if student B goes into engineering or architecture. Since it is unknown where all of the kids attending school will end up carreer wise, everyone has to learn the same thing. I don't think it's a waste of time because it exposes kids to something new and who knows, they may end up liking it and continue in that field.

Cursive vs block letters : I personally find cursive writing much faster than block. All my notebooks, journals or agendas are in cursive since high school.
                    It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

Quoth Cecily View Post
                      Cursive vs block letters : I personally find cursive writing much faster than block. All my notebooks, journals or agendas are in cursive since high school.
                      I know that a lot of stuff is computerized, and technology has pretty much taken over, but what about teaching the younger generations some form of shorthand? I mean, materials for Pitman 2000 and Gregg shorthand are still around...

I could see shorthand coming in handy...though with the education level of some in this country, I could see people thinking it was Arabic or something...
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        I know that a lot of stuff is computerized, and technology has pretty much taken over, but what about teaching the younger generations some form of shorthand? I mean, materials for Pitman 2000 and Gregg shorthand are still around...

I could see shorthand coming in handy...though with the education level of some in this country, I could see people thinking it was Arabic or something...
                        My high school offered classes in Gregg shorthand. I never bothered. My mother was a secretary and a master of it. It was amazing what she could do with dictation.

It's a lost art form, sadly.

I quit writing in cursive by my 20's, including my legal signature.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post

I quit writing in cursive by my 20's, including my legal signature.
                          Just wondering, how do you sign things? Often forms ask for the name to be printed, then signed. I often just use my first initial, instead of signing the whole thing.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                            Just wondering, how do you sign things? Often forms ask for the name to be printed, then signed. I often just use my first initial, instead of signing the whole thing.
                            I had a teacher who told us that you can print your name as your signature, if you really want to. It's just that most people do it in cursive because it's supposedly harder to forge.
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth paxillated View Post
                              I went to a private school, and left after 8th grade well able to spell and use correct grammar. Of course:

a) It was 50 years ago.

b) The school is still full of politicians' kids, as it was when I attended (on a scholarship).

I don't know whether (b) is an argument for or against Fireheart's opinion!
                              I went to private schools from kindergarten through 12th grade. The largest flaws in my grammar are tendencies to over-use ellipses and the passive voice.

I attribute the success of the school to the degree at which parents involve themselves. When I was having trouble in history class or latin class, my teachers contacted my parents and worked out ways with them to ensure I completed my work.
                              The same thing can happen with public schools, but the teachers often have too many pupils and the parents often treat school like state-funded day-care.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                                I write the block print at a slight angle, with the letters closer together. While they're connected, they're not truly cursive style. I write very rapidly this way, but it is not a truly cursive style. When I block print I make an effort for each letter to be distinctly separate and legible. It's more time consuming.

Quoth MadMike View Post
                                I had a teacher who told us that you can print your name as your signature, if you really want to. It's just that most people do it in cursive because it's supposedly harder to forge.
                                I challenge anyone to forge my signature. Really. It's that bad
                                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                                X