This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal space, asshole!

What is it with people getting their face 2 inches from mine while asking a question? I realize that's acceptable in some cultures and have no problem with those customers, but the ones who get close enough for a dental exam just because they can piss me off. If this happens after 9 or 10 PM I'm even more on alert.

A guy gets in my face at 10:45 last night asking where the garlic in a jar is (buddy, the last thing you need is more garlic). J was closer, so I don't know why he picked me to harass (maybe he's related to last summer's misogynist asshole). Clearly uncomfortable with the situation as he's giving off a somewhat aggressive vibe, I quickly tell him (table with the tomatoes, on the other side) and try to escape to see if J has anything else for me to do up front.

SC comes back ten seconds later and gets even further in my face--again, J and P were closer to him. "Maybe you didn't understand what I'm looking for. [is this the magic SC phrase of the year or something? Third time someone's said that to me] I didn't see any garlic there."
    Me: *trying to discreetly move away but I'm boxed in by a register bagging area on the left, bagging platform right behind me and he is not letting me shift to the right* "Go to the table with the tomatoes, look on the other side that's facing backwards."
    SC: "I saw that! You're rude! I'm talking to your manager!" J comes over and forces him to move so I can go clean SCO or do something else.
    SC: "She was backing away from me when I asked her a question!"
    J: "She answered your first question. Getting that close to ask one question was uncalled for, as was returning and cornering my employee when you didn't look where she told you. If she had fallen you would be responsible, and I see you found what you're looking for so as far as I'm concerned you are done here."

J: "If you had gone cornered wolf on the guy I'd have your back. It's his fault for getting in your face and a normal person doesn't physically corner someone."
    Me: "Times like this I wish I did have big dog ears; I swear ears going flat is the only signal some of these jerks might pay attention to."
    S: "If they don't and you bite them I'd sell tickets to see that security tape."
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    Me: "Times like this I wish I did have big dog ears; I swear ears going flat is the only signal some of these jerks might pay attention to."
    S: "If they don't and you bite them I'd sell tickets to see that security tape."
    Since I don't have the dog ears, I've settled for growling and baring my teeth. Since my canines are naturally extra long (for humans, anyway), it usually works.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I've been considering buying a pair of these and making new ear covers. Doesn't look like I could convincingly hide the sensors though...and there might not be an 'annoyed' mode

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        I've been considering buying a pair of these and making new ear covers. Doesn't look like I could convincingly hide the sensors though...and there might not be an 'annoyed' mode
        Yeah, they don't go flat. They'll droop a little bit, but it's mostly twisting. Nothign to really show annoyance.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Yup, I have a pair. They have one to show when you are focussed on something (ears wiggling back and forth), relaxed (ears droop down) or something catches your attention (ears prick up)
          Violets are blue,
          Roses are red,
          I bequeath to thee...
          A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Sometimes, all you can do is lift your leg and pee on these people. :-)
            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

In an alternate universe my store has a number of werewolves on staff. For some reason customer complaints are minimal

Comment

Why DOES garlic always seem to be next to the tomatoes? You'd think it'd be next to the onions in the produce dept.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                  Why DOES garlic always seem to be next to the tomatoes? You'd think it'd be next to the onions in the produce dept.
                  Because it goes so well with most things made with tomatoes
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Fresh garlic is with the onions. This guy was looking for the minced stuff in a jar which is near the croutons and other fiddly salad bits.

Comment

It could be worse. I use to work at a family owned grocery store and they put the jarred garlic in the international aisle with the Asian, Spanish and Kosher food.

Comment

Too close

Less than two feet is cultural differences, two inches is an attempt to intimidate you into doing things for them.

Comment

I feel for you; I really hate people invading my bubble and worse, touching me! Do NOT touch me! I have an aversion to being touched by people I don't know; it used to be everyone but over the years I have worked on it so that I can hug and kiss friends and family. However, anyone I don't know who tries it is going to end up flat on the floor.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

I guess that's one of the advantages to being 6'4" and big. Barrel chested as mom likes to call it, lol. I tend not to have to deal with personal space issues, people seem to give me a decent amount of space without any trouble.

Of course, it IS kind of hard to be intimidated when the customer is yelling upwards at my chin.

Comment

I'm pretty tall for a female (5' 10" or so; my dad's the runt in his family at 6' 2"). This guy was trying to loom over me...but it was clear to everyone else that he had to make some effort to do so. When that didn't quite work as intended he resorted to physically blocking me in. I was thisclose to 'oops, my foot slipped', and nobody would have said anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X