Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAR - AFAIK, Yeah -pretty much. I believe it's used to mean "white trash" as opposed to simply "redneck" -- it's specifically derogatory...and it seems like these two winners are good examples ~_~
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I made a post about bogans! Part 1's done, part 2 will have to wait until I finish work tonight.

What kind of tracker does your vehicle have? Is it one that's easily disabled or removed? I'm wondering why the police didn't trace the car by the tracker.
      Honestly, I'm not really sure why they haven't. The tracker might not be that accurate. There's also a chance he's popped it into another car or simply burned the work van out. I shall make inquiries.
      Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post
        First update!

Tim's not been caught yet, but his Dad did come in to yell at various people. He wanted my partner to call off the police, which is something that you can do apparently.
        You know, I'd find it hard, if Dad had come in to yell that at me, to adopt my best (i.e. WORST) accent and say

"Oi Mate! I'll be happy to call off the coppers as soon as your kid stops stealin' me car!"
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          You know, I'd find it hard, if Dad had come in to yell that at me, to adopt my best (i.e. WORST) accent and say

"Oi Mate! I'll be happy to call off the coppers as soon as your kid stops stealin' me car!"
          You forgot to ad "ya wanker!" To the end of that statement.

Would have done it had I been there, but it was partner. Dane's English. He could have gone with.

"Well now my good man, I'd certainly call the policemen away, the very instant your young man ceases with the theft of our motor vehicles."

I typed this, read it, and I keep hearing it in Stephen Fry's voice.
          Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

Well, that settles it, we're going to have to construct a big list of country-specific responses, complete with overdone accents, local argot, and an appropriately-stereotyped voice actor for each one...
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Ah man, but you guys have waaaay too many states. And I only know about Alabama and Texas!
              Long story short, both States appear to be trying to export their worst and stupidest here at the moment.

Comment

Oh, I know. But I would still do that drive from coast-to-coast in America. Something tangible (not sure if that is the right word/feeling?) I rather enjoyed the longer trips.

I hope they nail the guy rather well.
                I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post
                  "Well now my good man, I'd certainly call the policemen away, the very instant your young man ceases with the theft of our motor vehicles."
                  Well, that's a good accent to get you a kicking anywhere outside of Tunbridge Wells.

How about: "When your little tosser gives me m'car back I'll call off the Rozzers, you little scrote! Now sling your 'ook!"
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                    How about: "When your little tosser gives me m'car back I'll call off the Rozzers, you little scrote! Now sling your 'ook!"
                    Now this I heard in an 'Eastenders' accent, maybe Shirley or Kat Slater.

God that show is odd. I could only ever vaguely follow what the hell was happening in each episode.
                    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Given that I used to live 30 minutes from London and spent a lot of my free time roaming it I'll take that as a compliment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                      God that show is odd. I could only ever vaguely follow what the hell was happening in each episode.

Seriously, don't even bother. Except for a few rare examples it's drifted so far from reality it's laughable.

Stick to Coronation Street; at least that's somewhere close to believable in the way it treats the characters.
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post

As for those confused as to why driving all the way across Australia is a stupid idea....it's 45 hours. That's without stopping to pee eat or sleep, by the way. It's also assuming that you're going full speed to whole time. It's also also assuming you have a car that can handle that voyage and that you yourself have adequately prepared for it. Long stretches without petrol food or water through a desert in a country where 40 degrees (Celcius) is a normal and expected Summer temperature. Some folks die trying to drive across this place.
                        Isn't there a coastal route? I know the southern coastal route [1?] seems to have a fair number of what we would consider federal level parks along the ocean. <I was looking in lust at the 2 really luxurious looking train vacations, one is north to south, and the other is east to west, more or less. Otherwise I really don't look at Australia much =( >

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        And yeah, driving across Australia would be different than in the US. I would like one day to drive from coast to coast. Of course I would probably not want to pay to rent a car for weeks, but if it was cheap I like the idea of driving to Florida and then flying back.
                        Not a big deal, I have driven coast to coast a number of round trips in my 35 or so years of driving [as well as a number of partial trips, NoLa and Houston from Rochester NY. Though recently I did a back to back Greenville NC/Connecticut trip that I noted the double trip was effectively one trip connecticut to Fresno.]

In my diesel jetta it runs more or less $1500 for a round trip for fuel, food and a couple nights at a hotel. [when I push a trip, I tend to do the drive/sleep in the car when I get tired thing. It sort of works out to drive 4, sleep 1. We have been thinking of modifying the momvan into a road trip 'camper' but the mileage is no where near as good as the jetta. Now if we could find a diesel manual momvan I would be in heaven!
                        Quoth Latekin View Post
                        Well, it's only 39c per km....

So around $6, 170

I may just suggest this to the manager tomorrow when i get in.
                        Be just as cheap to buy a beater for that price.
                        Last edited by EricKei; 03-10-2015, 12:43 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                          Isn't there a coastal route? I know the southern coastal route [1?] seems to have a fair number of what we would consider federal level parks along the ocean. <I was looking in lust at the 2 really luxurious looking train vacations, one is north to south, and the other is east to west, more or less. Otherwise I really don't look at Australia much =( >
                          It is possible that you are meaning the Nullarbor, which is a really long stretch between Adelaide and Perth, which follows the Great Australian Bight. (28hrs non-stop driving or 2hrs 50mins of flying.) There are a number of national parks and protected areas along this route.

My dad has done this trip to 3 times, twice with mum, but from Melbourne to Perth. That's 36hrs of non-stop driving (or 3 1/2 hours of flying).

Have a look at the map of Oz in google maps with the satellite option. All that red and brown is pretty much desert or actual desert.

Anyone thinking of driving a normal car all the way around Oz needs to be locked up for the safety of our search and rescue people. Huge chunks can only be accessed by plane, helicopter or 4wd by people who know what the hell they are doing.

While there are major roads that mostly circle the country, some really don't see much traffic. If you break down, it will be some time before anyone knows you are missing.
                          A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

I've driven Denver to Eugene, OR (50-70 miles in from the pacific coast) by way of Portland, OR, in about 22 hours including rest/meal breaks, tag teaming it with my dad. Probably about 19-20 hours of driving, since once you hit Oregon they think everyone is a bunch of granny drivers who stick to 60-65 MPH.

My record for solo driving in one day, gas/food stops included, is Oregon-Idaho border to Denver, through Salt Lake City & Grand Junction. 937 miles, started at 6:30am and finished about 11:30pm.

Comment

Lord t'underin' jayzus, b'y! Leave da cerr where it's at 'til I comes where it's to. And leave it dere, ya stunned arse 'less ye wants me tah call the RNC on yer.

...take a wild guess where I live? :P

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                                Lord t'underin' jayzus, b'y! Leave da cerr where it's at 'til I comes where it's to. And leave it dere, ya stunned arse 'less ye wants me tah call the RNC on yer.

...take a wild guess where I live? :P
                                Uganda! Do I get a cookie?

Comment

Working...
                                X