X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MONDAYS!!!!!!!!

Damn....just....damn.....

Today was quite an epic Monday. And I thought it was going really well because there was ZERO traffic. Nope. That was the only thing to go right.

First thing I did after punching in was check the department email. I had not even had a chance to finish the first one when one of my guys tells me that there’s no one covering him when he’s out next week.

Wait....what??????

At first, I was furious. Why am I only hearing about this now??? I thought we resolved the time off issues MONTHS ago!!! Damnit, didn’t I tell you to go through the coverage calendar and verify ALL your days off after the last snafu???? AARRGG!!!!!

Wow, what a way to start off. I find out that I’m missing 4 days of coverage. I can’t afford to be short handed that long, never mind the fact that the customer would not tolerate that. Good god my boss was gonna be pissed...

I took the time to investigate before flying off the handle. Turns out I was right; it HAD allegedly been resolved months ago. I had an email from my boss confirming coverage was in place, dated AUGUST 25!!! There was a follow up email in October as well. I forwarded both to him and called him to ask him to look into it.

Ugh. This took almost half an hour.

I’m the meantime, I’ve got both my guys busy with a major rush project that only became a major rush when a Big Wig upstairs decided to put his thumb on the scale and move up the deadline by 2 days. While they were doing that, I was trying to do my job, but for the next 90 minutes got interrupted non stop. People kept walking in or calling me.

When I finally was able to actually do some work it was after 10AM. Then of course, the two print jobs are ones I haven’t done on the new equipment yet. Needless to say, I had all sorts of problems figuring them out. For some reason, the new copiers they got us don’t seem to allow tabs to be used as inserts. Um, what? You’re joking right? That’s a basic thing! Damnit!!!! Cue hand inserting of tabs.....ugh.....item 151 on today’s glitch list.....

I managed to get the second job figured out, but couldn’t finish it before lunch.

After lunch, I had to focus on outbound shipping and getting the rush project done.

We were just about done with it, and we’re in the process of giving the packages to UPS when our contact barged in and told us to grab out rncoats and get out of the building immediately.

Me: WHOA! WHAT? What’s the problem??

Contact: the fire alarm is about to go off. There’s a gas leak!

*fire alarm begins blaring*

Oh jeeze....

I grabbed the two-way radio, my iPad, coat and hat, coworker-who-is-with-UPS’s coat and hat, and went to the dock. Gave coworker his stuff and told him to evacuate, then told the UPS driver he needed to evacuate as well.

When we went outside, I was stunned to see EVERYONE hopping in their car and leaving. The chief evacuation warden was having an absolute shit fit, yelling at people not to leave, there’s accountability to do!!!!!

Turns out someone let slip that it would be at least an hour before the gas company would get there (the fire department was just rolling in lights-a-flashin’) and since it was 3:45, several department managers told their people to go home in blatant violation of the evacuation procedure.

Oooh man the chief warden was pissed.....

I called my boss and alerted him to the situation, then called my contact on the radio. By this point the warden had given up, and it ckntsct told us to leave. I tried to call my boss back, but my phone died. I got into many car to plug it in, but realized I’d left my charger in my wife’s car, and my other charger was inside, where I could not go.

Had to wait until I got home to call my boss.

So yeah....,quite a day.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

So what happened that you aren't covered for 4 days? Did that ever get any light shed on it?

Comment

What a royal goatfuck with cheese.
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Aw man, that really sucks! I just hate days like that; did you check to see if it was a full moon or something?
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

And here I thought MY Monday was bad.
          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AB9zPfXqQQ

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kobdb37Cwc
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=-Kobdb37Cwc <- for USians who want to see it

Comment

Ok, so the gist of the coverage problem is this. The guy who was out transferred in from a different location, and the powers that be fucked up and didn’t properly account for the time off he had already booked. My boss explicitly told him - in writing! - that he was all set when he wasn’t. We brought it to his attention twice and thought it had been fixed, but obviously not.

He was able to get us coverage for Thursday and Friday, but not today or tomorrow.

And no, calling the guy back into work and telling him to suck it up wasn’t an option. He had already booked his trip to Virginia to be with his family for Christmas.
                  Last edited by Dave1982; 12-27-2017, 01:18 AM.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Easy solution:
                    Your boss put it in writing that he was good to go. Your boss now has to cover the guy's shifts!

. . . . . . in my dreams . . . . .
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

We actually have that policy, but it's only enforced at single person locations..

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                        What a royal goatfuck with cheese.
                        I love this.

*yoinking for future usage*

Comment

Dare ya to order 'a royal goatfuck with cheese' at your next drive through visit
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                          X