Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am not giving you free groceries. Not for you.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth greensinestro View Post
    No offense intended here toward those who receive government aid, but why does it seem like the ones who pay with food stamps or WIC or what have you are quite often the ones who always try pulling crap like this?
    I've noticed that in the time I've done retail. In general, the worst customers I have are the ones who get groceries at the government's expense. Then again, so are some of the best. It just seems that sort of situation takes things to an extreme.

From the obviously overworked and stressed mom who nevertheless has her store card at the ready, makes the process as simple and painless as possible, and happily bags her own groceries (or gets a kid to do it for her) if need be...

...to the loudmouthed, angry, obese woman who lectured me for five minutes about how I was incompetent, a f***ing idiot, and didn't know what I was doing, before finally throwing the WIC papers at her boyfriend and storming out of the store... Because I refused to accept her voucher two weeks before it's start date. Nevermind half her items were not actually WIC-approved.

This latter variety has lead me to the conclusion (or opinion, if you prefer) that most people who are on government aid have no intention to ever actually get off of it, and never will.
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Where I work, if an item rings up higher than the shelf price, they get the 1st item free. If the customer has more than one of the item, they get the rest at the shelf price.

For employees, the free part only applies if they're off the clock. If the employee is on break, they get the item at the shelf price even if they only have one of that item.
      My Fanfic Page
      My Fiction Page
      My Social Group
      My Pet Social Group
      My You Tube Channel

Comment

The lady did have a point--that expired tag was left up two weeks after the sale expired. One probably has to be spectacularly lazy and/or inobservant to fail to notice it for so long. At my store we do commonly find expired signs left up on the shelves (largely due to the floor people on Saturday nights pulling down all the signs that are at about eye level and leaving the ones on the very top and bottom shelves), but we also have people in the departments walking them off daily and watching for expired signs.

We all know by now that customers do not read things like expiration dates on sale signs.

If a customer questions a price and the cause is found to be an expired sign left up after the sale has ended, we do what the OP's supervisor offered: we give them the item for the old sale price, and make sure to remove the sign so it doesn't happen again.

There was no need for the customer to be screaming and threatening people's job. None at all. Either she wasn't previously a manager with the company and is just playing that card so you'll give her what she wants, or she was just an absolute Superbitch who got drummed out somehow.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Just a little add-on to my first reply... Many people mentioned that their store has the same policy as mine. I believe this policy is regulated by government, to stop consumers being ripped off by stores charging higher prices at the register. Ours goes up to $10, so if the price is more than that, they just get $10 off the first item. In training, it was stressed to us how important this is and to call a supervisor to check and authorize any "scanning policy" discounts/free items.
          Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
          Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
          <3 Arrested Development

Comment

there is apperantly a polisy, i don't know if it is just our store but i hear rumour it's ontario-wide, that is something scans wrong, if it's under $10 it's freen if it's over $10 you get it either for $10 or $10 off. i can't remember which. al i know is that we have to do it if someone mentions the policy, otherwise we just give them ticketed price.
            but it's mostly a matter of wishing they don't read signs since thy post it near the front door. if i can find a copy of it i will post it here in an edit.
            Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

Here in the U.S. the scan laws are by state, regulated by weights & measures. MI has a really cool 'scan award' thing, where (after you pay) you get the overcharge back plus 10x the difference, up to $5.
              In CA, we only get what the lowest advertised/listed price says. However, some stores have 'scan right' policies where they give you the item for free or some $ amount. Some stores have enforced policies (if weights & measures has an injunction against them saying they have to create a scan right policy).

*cough* I hope I didn't sound like a SC there, but this issue is interesting to me and I had done a little research recently on it.

Comment

The only customers that ever bothered me with this policy were the ones trying to take advantage of it, such as the man buying six air conditioners because it was listed at $12. Unfortunately, that happened more often than not.

I bought a headset just recently and was very surprised at the store's policy about price correction. It was the only one left, listed at $20. When it rang up, the price jumped to $60. Someone must have moved it to the wrong spot and I was just going to put it back and find another headset but the clerk got a manager and asked me to wait. He went back to the aisle with me, took the price down and told the clerk to give me the headset for $20. I was stunned, I must've asked if it was alright about ten times.

Thing is, I know if there had been more headsets on that hook at that price and it had been a SC, every single one would have been brought up and expected to ring at $20.
                "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

I think the rule around here is to give the customer whichever price is the lowest, but I wouldn't know for sure...
                  "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

I love how people try and get other people fired for an issue of 87 CENTS!!!!

Comment

Back in the early 80's I was a cashier at a local grocery store with the "first item free" policy. We had the huge bags of Purina Dog Chow on sale for about $5 off the normal price...but they were still scanning at full price. I think we ended up giving away the whole stock before the price was changed in the computer. I don't recall anybody trying to buy more than one bag at a time, but I do remember cringing every time I saw a bag coming up to the register.
                      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                      X