This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
    It is very easy to do $600 in groceries, for two people in my household plus a cat I can easily do $100 or more a week. And I don't even eat that much food nor do I get any name-brand stuff either.

But, seriously, I am glad that someone is beginning to stop the doubling/tripling of certain coupons. I realize that some people actually need things like that because of whatever situation they are in [large family, caring for a family member with little to no income, etc], BUT the stores are not doing this because of them. It's because of the people like on Extreme Couponing that these new policies are put in place.

I watched a couple of episodes of the show, I was disgusted to see how much stuff these people were taking when they have no use for it all because they have a coupon for it.
    I know, really? I keep a small stash, but in my case, for me, one person, its a 30 pack of tp, an extra 6 rolls of paper towels, and maybe 2-3 extra deoderants. I'll also buy tissues and toothpaste at Coscto, but when my 5 pack of toothpaste gets down to 2, THEN I replace it. But I saw a few minutes of that show and the one guy with what, 1,000 tubes of toothpaste? Who can possibly use taht much before it goes bad?

To me, people with those types of stashes are hoarders, disguised as bargain hunters.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
      To me, people with those types of stashes are hoarders, disguised as bargain hunters.
      That's what my husband said last night after we watched an episode of hoarding followed by an episode of coupon people. I'm all for saving money, but 60 bottles of mustard? Really?

I don't do coupons but that's because the food I buy rarely has coupons and I don't have the patience to look for coupons for just a few items, like toothpaste.

Comment

I second the large family thing-- Mormons are (in)famous for that, as well as stocking up two years in advance for the Apocalypse/bad harvest seasons-- there's even something about that in their religious bylaws! My mother shops at dollar stores, which I find dubious, so when something goes on sale, like toothbrushes, I'd totally buy a bunch or with coupons, if I ever had the money then... money's awkward for me right now. Also, boys eat a lot. Like, twice as much as girls. It's really quite startling! If you have a husband and four or five teenage boys, and they're all physically active... that shit adds up!
        Coupons: good for poor people, and sucky customers. And companies, who sell stuff "because I have a coupon for it! I don't even know what pomegranate juice is!"
        EDIT: yizuman, best wishes for you and your wife.
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
          I have watched parts of a few episodes, and yes some do indeed have multiple rooms or their garage dedicated to food. I can see buying enough for, say a few months, but these people literally have years, like 3+ years, worth of food or other products. I recently purchased tooth paste, and it expired sometime in 2012. So in some cases they may very well have product that will expire years before they may ever need it. Great way to spend money.

Also, I have seen on the show where some people will show up with hundreds of coupons for something that is on sale and literally wipe out entire end caps or displays. Sure, 1 SC is happy, but hundreds of other shoppers are pissed because they are out of sale items.
          I see the logic, because if your going to get it free with a coupon.... why does it matter if it will expire? Some coupons the store actually pays you use use. And gets their money back from the manufacturer

I watched one episode the guy bought a pallet of cereal where he paid next to nothing for it compared to what it SHOULD have cost, turned around and gave most of it to a food pantry, so not all coupon people are evil SCs, they might be difficult to deal with but with how bad the economy is it doesn't hurt to save money.
          I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Working...
          X