This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random music

Today at work, because none of the Big Management Folk were at the store, we decided to have a little fun. So the produce manager hooked his iPod up to the stereo system with a playlist that they'd created, with some pretty decent stuff playing.

We had a mix of 80's, 90's and modern stuff playing over the PA....and then all of a sudden, a very familiar tune starts playing over the PA....

THIS SONG!

Yes it's work safe. It's the Thomas The Tank Engine theme song. Which started playing for about a minute over the PA. We all just found it hilarious.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

We used to play a game at Kinko's with the muzak. We'd set it on a station...usually 80's...and then you challenged someone to name the song and the band by stopping and pointing to the ceiling (where the speakers were located.).

The faster they could fire off the info, the better. It was preferable you do it before the chorus. Usually, we only bothered with the more obscure songs, B sides, one hit wonders, etc. Or if we didn't think the person we challenged would know the name of the band.

One of the guys, who was the best player, would sometimes up the ante by going "Okay, what MOVIE did this song get used in?" He was young enough that his skill with this game was surprising, since he was just a baby during the eighties. I mean, I was in college during this period, and very into music and was very very good at this game. He was better than I was at it.

Me and some of the older guys would get sick of losing to him sometimes and crank it back to seventies.

Comment

Oh wow. That made me tear up remembering watching that with my son. Dang, he's 18 now.
      You can't take the sky from me...

Comment

I can remember the Name that Tune game show on TV ...

They had people who were identifying classical music with like 2 or 3 freaking NOTES,

I am pretty good with rock and rock and roll from say mid 50s through mid 70s, and then sort of skipping around the 80s and 90s. And a fair amount of classical, jazz, big band and american folk, I am pretty eclectic. I dont like the really whingy country, country western, and the ultra nasty violent rap/urban crap.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

My mother will do this sometimes to my dad while we're driving in the car. They'll be listening to some oldies station and she'll go "Artist and year." And Dad has to try to remember.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth mlmama View Post
            Oh wow. That made me tear up remembering watching that with my son. Dang, he's 18 now.
            Yeah we were all reminiscing about it. It was just funny hearing the Thomas tune when we'd been hearing dance music all day.

Comment

what is really fun is when I make up a compilation CD of stuff I like and put it on at work. now the stuff I like is 70's rock (and not obscure stuff either). now some of the younger crowd (mid 30's) "claims" they know this era.... UNTIL I throw my stuff in. I ask the question "Who is this????" and get some wildly variable answers that are nowhere near correct
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I would've stuck some Skyhooks in.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  My mother will do this sometimes to my dad while we're driving in the car. They'll be listening to some oldies station and she'll go "Artist and year." And Dad has to try to remember.
                  RDS is your friend, for the artist at least

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                    I would've stuck some Skyhooks in.
                    Mott the Hoople and Slade. Both have been covered so many times, almost no one gets the artist right on the first try.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                      RDS is your friend, for the artist at least
                      You misunderstand, this isn't a "Ooh, I forgot who sang this, what's the artist?" thing, it's a "Challenge issued: name the artist and year!" thing.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Considering I mostly listen to Japanese music (a lot of it being really sugary pop stuff), I don't think my coworkers would appreciate me pulling the name the artist thing
                        Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
                          Considering I mostly listen to Japanese music (a lot of it being really sugary pop stuff), I don't think my coworkers would appreciate me pulling the name the artist thing
                          I have a mix of decent stuff, NSFW stuff and J-Pop.

NSFW stuff is mainly Avenue Q and Tim Minchin XD

Comment

If you have a PA you should blast 'Look on the Brighter Side of Life'. The song from the end of the Monty Python movie The Life of Brian. The whistling alone will make people wonder what the hell is going on.

Comment

Truth be told, I'm kinda tempted to put Johnathan Coulton's Re: Your Brains on a repeating loop over a shopping centre's PA. Just once...
                              Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                              X