This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One employee at lunch rush

The employee wasn't sucky at all, but either his coworkers or scheduler was!

It was the lunch rush, and we wanted some pita-goodness, so we went downtown and...it was just one guy during the noon rush. Poor guy was struggling to keep the line moving. I felt bad that he was all by himself.

It took a while, but we eventually got our pitas. I tipped him well. He seemed like he was having a bad day, and his tip jar was empty except for what I put in there.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

That reminds me of one New Year's Eve when we decided to get dinner at Pizza Hut before heading to the party we were invited to.

The place was jam packed. We were seated quickly, but we were waiting awhile. We only saw one lady waiting the tables, and when she finally got to us, she looked completely whipped. In a sad, defeated tone, she asked us, "You're not going to yell at me, are you?" I asked her if that had been happening, and she told me people were yelling at her all night because they had to wait.

It turned out that the manager, in his infinite wisdom, decided that it wouldn't be a busy night, and scheduled only her to wait tables and seat people, and one other person to cook. And of course, the manager wasn't on site. I also overheard the cook tell her they had just run out of dough shortly after we got our food, so I'm sure even more people yelled at her after that.

I normally tip around 20%, but I felt so bad for her, I think I tipped around 40%.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

had a lunch like that recently. more than one worker there but they had just reopened after being closed for a few months, so there was a bit of a wait.

ended up taking 45 minutes instead of our allotted 30 for lunch. (which slightly sux cos that's unpaid lunch)

Comment

That reminds me of when we were in Williamsburg for the Fourth of July. We were trying to decide on a place to eat that didn't have too long of wait, which was next to impossible because everyone wanted to stay in the shops area we were in for the fireworks. We found one place that was at least a 35 minute wait, so we chose there. They weren't taking any reservations; you had to come in and put your name on a waiting list, and they went in order as tables opened.

It was PACKED. I saw so many people turn away from the door when they heard how long the wait was, that if they actually toughed it out they would have had a table by the time they got back from trying the other restaurants.

Took us 45 minutes before we finally got a seat, but we had a good meal, and the way we saw it the wait helped us kill time before the fireworks. But the whole times we were there, as packed as it was, I saw maybe 3 wait staff, tops.

Comment

Working...
        X