This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WALBB defined

This was not a good morning. I walked out of the BART station to find a nearly empty bus lane, and riders massed waiting for my usual bus. We piled on the now late bus, and shortly the entire bus was full, standing room only. Chatting with other riders indicated that there had apparently been a walkout by most, if not all, of the regular drivers. (I called the local news station and spoke with a reporter.) As riders got on, we mentioned there was an apparent walkout and most people just settled in, happy that a bus was finally there, even if it was SRO.

But, then, after a long, slow, crowded ride across the Bay, a douchey young guy (possibly a grad student) got on.

WALBB: You're 40 minutes late. I've been standing out here. I'm late. What's going on?
    Driver: There's been a contract conflict.
    WALBB: This is ridiculous. 40 minutes. What's going on?
    Me: There's apparently been a walkout by the drivers.
    WALBB: So, this is a problem. *He's standing over the driver, over the yellow line, his voice rising. The driver is elderly and has been apologetic and nice the whole trip.* Now, I'm late.
    Me: It's not the driver's fault. There's a strike.
    WALBB: I'm not talking to you, Miss.
    Me: Yelling at the driver won't help. It's not his fault.
    WALBB: I'm not talking to you, Miss. I waited 40 minutes.
    Me: *voice rising* You are, because you're interfering with the driver, so we can't get to where we're going.
    Other passenger: We all waited 40 minutes.

WALBB finally caught a clue and shut up and sat down. He didn't lift his head from his book or look my way the rest of the ride.

WALBB stands for whiny ass little bitch boy, if you hadn't guessed.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Quoth wagegoth View Post

WALBB stands for whiny ass little bitch boy, if you hadn't guessed.
    I hadnt guessed, but thanks for that explanation!

Thanks for speaking up for the other passengers.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
      *He's standing over the driver, over the yellow line, his voice rising. The driver is elderly and has been apologetic and nice the whole trip.*
      That makes me so mad! Trying to intimidate the driver like that. As if the driver was intentionally late just to mess up his day.

Comment

Remember the old crusty nun from Sister Act? The BAAAAD driver? I woulda been her. "Sit down, shut up and hold on!" Scrreeeeech vrrooom kathunk.

Yep, I have no shame.
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Well, you know he IS in grad school and therefore Much more important than the rest of you!
          Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
            Well, you know he IS in grad school and therefore Much more important than the rest of you!
            Yeah, he probably had computer games to beat. Or maybe his chair was getting cold. (Yes, yes, even I do real work here, but still...)

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
              WALBB: You're 40 minutes late.
              Bus driver: "No, I'm right on schedule. The other three buses that should have left ahead of me were cancelled."

Maybe the system was 40 minutes late, but not that specific bus.

Comment

I was on a bus that was early once. Not a big deal, except that in Toronto they don't really publish bus schedules. You just get on the bus, and it goes to the station. There's none of this "wait so I'm not early". Except, apparently, with this driver. I was ok with the 5 minute wait, I still caught my out-of-town bus, but none of us had any way of knowing that if we got on this bus instead of the one right behind it that we were risking being late. And at 06:00, the intercity buses only run every hour, meaning that if you're late, you're really late. However, while the bus driver was a little sucky about how he did this (no announcement, rather rude to the people who asked), it doesn't excuse people going up and being rude to him they way they were. This was the summer of "oh, this isn't a strike, let me talk to my union rep", so no one was getting along on the buses.

Comment

Working...
                X