Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We don't like your brand around here...

Oh goodie. My company was bought out a couple of years ago by a company that also has a division that makes computers. Non-Mac computers, specifically.

So they are getting around to consolidating a lot of things, like email servers and wifi networks and credentials. My co-worker was "upgraded" to the new wifi setup, and promptly lost access to most of the stuff we need to do our work unless he plugs into a network cable.

Just this week, I was "upgraded" to the new email system. Mandatory upgrade to LookOut, of course. Except if you're on a Mac, in which case NO EMAIL FOR YOU! You have to go to the web-based email server.

Guess what kind of laptop I have? And about a third of my group?

Sigh. I guess I'm going to get a lot less responsive to email until they replace my laptop...
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

That's weird. I thought most modern versions of LookOut were compatible with the fruit-based computers...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I believe you can install Winblows on a Mac, if worse comes to worst.

Comment

LookOut is compatible, I have been using it for several years on this system.

However, they have upgraded the LookOut server to something that won't talk to the Fruit version of the client.

I suppose I could fire up VMWare, run some version of Windoze, and try to get the new supported version of LookOut, but that's yet another layer of BS to go through....
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Aside from running Winblows in a VM, you can run it in conjunction with OS X using Parallels, or you can completely blow OS X off the machine and just use it for Winblows.

Edit: Or you can dual-boot.

Comment

Working...
          X