This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I conceded defeat...

The jerks who never put anything back where they belong won today. I'm beaten.

Today after an excellent lunch (I don't crave sushi often but when I do I can eat it until I feel sick), I decided on the spur of the moment to go to Kohl's, where I found a sweater I just love on clearance last year. Decided to see if maybe there were more in that style -- the kind that has a zipper that goes about halfway down from the collar.

I got to Kohl's, but I certainly couldn't tell you if they had any more sweaters like that one.

I take that back. They had some, but none in my size. Or maybe they did. Couldn't tell, because NOTHING was where it belonged. The customers had ripped the place apart. Next to nothing was folded, and the various separate departments had decided to mingle and learn from their cultural differences. Things with rhinestones and sparkles were stuffed in with the menswear. A bag of jellybeans on a shelf of sweaters. Jeans thrown atop racks of sweaters. Sweaters in wads all over the place. Big and tall things hung on racks next to things listed size small. The store associates were running around frantic, and the customers were trashing the place as fast as the employees could fix it.

I gave it about fifteen minutes, realized I stood no chance of finding anything in that kind of wreck, and left. I think I'll go back a couple of days after Christmas, or maybe in early January to try again.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

That is about how the Kohl's store is here all year, not just around Christmas time. The store itself is in a ritzy part of town, and the store itself is nice, but I have never seen any employee folding tables or doing anything other than walking from Customer Service (in the back of the store) to the checkout lanes. Even with the messed up aisles, I somehow always find acceptable clothes in my size, so go figure.

"In cases of customer bathroom emergencies, the toilet itself becomes less of a goal and more of a loose suggestion." - Shamus

Comment

Quoth I_Hate_SCs View Post
      That is about how the Kohl's store is here all year, not just around Christmas time. The store itself is in a ritzy part of town, and the store itself is nice, but I have never seen any employee folding tables or doing anything other than walking from Customer Service (in the back of the store) to the checkout lanes. Even with the messed up aisles, I somehow always find acceptable clothes in my size, so go figure.
      Except in this case, I don't think it was the employees' fault. My store is like that every. single. weekend. It was mentioned in a store meeting once that if we all do a better job of picking up as we go, showing respect for our own store, the customers will, too. Fat chance!
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My sis could tell you it's pretty much always the case, and part of the problem is that none of the floor staff are full time. None of them. It's hard to keep up with chaos when you're only scheduled for four hours, and they make you go up front to cover breaks on registers for two of those hours. She did get more hours during the Christmas rush, but will probably be back on the shorter shifts come January.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

that's the worst part of retail (clothing); people destroy everything and the staff can be right on top of it, but the moment one thing is right, the hyenas' feeding frenzy tears it apart beyond hope.

people aren't just slobs, they're lazy self centered shits. shits who don't give a damn about anything until it affects their pocketbook, then all hell breaks loose.
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
            that's the worst part of retail (clothing); people destroy everything and the staff can be right on top of it, but the moment one thing is right, the hyenas' feeding frenzy tears it apart beyond hope. people aren't just slobs, they're lazy self centered shits. shits who don't give a damn about anything until it affects their pocketbook, then all hell breaks loose.
            QFT; it doesn't matter if the staff works 89 hours a day.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

QFT; it doesn't matter if the staff works 89 hours a day for all eternity.
              fixed for accuracy.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                that's the worst part of retail (clothing); people destroy everything and the staff can be right on top of it, but the moment one thing is right, the hyenas' feeding frenzy tears it apart beyond hope.

people aren't just slobs, they're lazy self centered shits. shits who don't give a damn about anything until it affects their pocketbook, then all hell breaks loose.
                I agree! In my store, they are constantly harping (higher ups) about how we need to present an image, and how our store isn't living up to that image, etc. Well, we try our best, but we can spend 30 minutes working on one small area, only to have it destroyed in about 30 SECONDS by an SC. Even before I worked in retail, I was always careful to at least fold (maybe not the correct way) and hang up anything I tried on, buttoning the buttons etc. I only wish my customers would give us the same courtesy!

Comment

Having worked retail, I habitually pick things up, rehang items, even fold, but it seems more and more to be a lost cause.

Corporate focuses on low prices to get people in the store, cuts labor to keep the prices down (instead of cutting their salaries and perqs), then complains because the store isn't picture perfect. Even if the store managers care and try to do something, they're usually limited by corporate. Lose/lose all around.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I cannot tell you how many times I've been offered a job on the spot at various retail shops because I've picked up, folded, and put away the items I or Mr. Rum have been looking at.

Gah ... It's depressing.

But that's how Kohl's is. That's why I only shop online for them now.

Comment

My Mommy used to yell at me if I messed up a table and would stand there arms crossed until I made it look pretty again. I learned pretty fast to find a way to look for size without unfolding the item.

Comment

Yeah, I've seen people do this very thing at the wholesale club in our clothing section.

Before we got our current Night Crew Clothing Lady, one of the jobs the front-line had to take care of before going home was neatening the clothing section. When it was especially terrible back there, they'd often send some of the cashiers back early (before close) to get started.

That's when I witnessed the "volcano method" of shopping-- reach to the bottom of the stack, pull the bottom up, and thus up-end the entire stack, and usually the stacks around it as well.

I admit I lost it once at this one jackass who went over to the table I'd just finished, up-ended at least two stacks, and then turned to walk away, without even looking at anything. He'd done it just to mess it up. I gave him a loud, "HEY! I just finished cleaning that up! Put it back!" He looked startled that I'd called him out, looked chagrined (slightly), and then hurriedly walked away. So I just added him to my "little list of people who won't be missed."
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                          So I just added him to my "little list of people who won't be missed."
                          *sings to self*
                          He's got a little list.
                          He's got a little list.
                          And they'll none of them be missed,
                          They'll none of them be missed.
                          </Gilbert & Sullivan>

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I agree completely. I could sweep and mop something all day, and mere moments later, my work's all undone by some consumer and their child. And the management wonders why I want to tell people "You can go straight to K-Mart!"
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                            X