This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMV Sucky Workers (maybe an SC, too)

This happened last month when I was at the DMV to get my driver's license renewed. As always, it was packed, and it was only 10 am. I get my number and sit down to wait.

Out of 15 windows available, they had 4 open for business. Well--they really had 1. One person worked at the speed of molasses. He would help one customer, then he'd stand up and walk behind the windows in slow motion. He'd pretend to pick up a paper on the other side of the DMV, then walk back all slow to his window. He'd then sit there for 10 minutes, doing nothing, before he called another customer up. The second worker would hunt-and-peck on her keyboard so slow that I'm surprised cobwebs didn't form on her finger between peckings. A third worker looked like she was on something, since she kept on getting up and sitting down constantly for no apparent reason. The fourth worker shockingly seemed like he was on this planet, and he worked at a normal speed.

I waited next to this guy who, like me, was getting his license renewed. The guy and I both saw this one woman come right into the DMV, and she was called within 5 minutes after sitting down. It was obvious she was getting her license renewed, since she got her picture taken.

This made the guy beside me VERY mad. He walked up to the info desk, and the following conversation happened:

Guy (initially being very polite): Excuse me, I happened to notice the woman at window 12 was called after 5 minutes of coming here, and I've been waiting for 3 hours.
    DMV woman: You are called up in the order depending on what you need to have done.
    Guy: That's fine, but it is obvious she's getting a license renewed. I am too.
    DMV woman: Look, it is obvious we're very busy today. Wait your turn.
    Guy: (voice getting louder) I AM waiting my turn. Just like every other damn person in here. Don't even tell me you'd be pissed if you saw someone walk right in when you were in line for hours.

Someone in the room clapped when he said that. Right at that point, the guy who the other woman at the info desk helped a second ago was called right to the window. He didn't even have to sit down and wait. It was obvious he just walked in, because I overheard the other worker asking him for his info--he didn't come in earlier or anything.

Guy: Look! Look at that guy! What makes him so special that he doesn't have to wait forever like the rest of us?
    DMV woman: I'm not going to tell you again, if you don't SIT DOWN, I am going to have you removed.

The guy came back and sat next to me and was called up 20 minutes later.

I actually agree with the guy, which is surprising, since he had an SC outburst. I think the DMV was more of a sucky company in this instance. I understand that it is important to have a system that assigns numbers based on type of service needed (instead of first-come, first-served,) but it is blatantly obvious something is up when two people are called right in to the window, and 150 or so people are waiting in line. I'm almost *positive* those 2 people weren't needing some ultra-rare service that placed them in the #1 queue position.

"In cases of customer bathroom emergencies, the toilet itself becomes less of a goal and more of a loose suggestion." - Shamus

Quoth I_Hate_SCs View Post
    The guy and I both saw this one woman come right into the DMV, and she was called within 5 minutes after sitting down. It was obvious she was getting her license renewed, since she got her picture taken.
    Does your DMV use letters in addition to the numbers?

There's a lot more that gets pictures taken than just license renewal/replacement.

Also, do you know that they didn't make appointments? Those with appointments get priority number assignments over those who just walk in.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Next time go to AAA. They charge I think $2, its SO worth it to go there instead of the DMV. You don't have to be a member to have them renew for you, I went there last year and will totally do it again.
      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
        Next time go to AAA. They charge I think $2, its SO worth it to go there instead of the DMV. You don't have to be a member to have them renew for you, I went there last year and will totally do it again.
        I second that suggestion, as they'll give you the new registration and stickers on the spot. Now, that's the only way I renew my registration, and on the years that they require a smog check, I get that done first at my favorite shop, and go straight to the AAA office where they can access the proof that I've passed.

Comment

Quoth ADoyle90815

I second that suggestion, as they'll give you the new registration and stickers on the spot. Now, that's the only way I renew my registration, and on the years that they require a smog check, I get that done first at my favorite shop, and go straight to the AAA office where they can access the proof that I've passed.
          Ummm the Sec if State gives the new registration and stickers on the spot too... Unless I'm missing something?

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
            Ummm the Sec if State gives the new registration and stickers on the spot too... Unless I'm missing something?
            As opposed to AAA having to get them mailed in maybe?
            If it makes sense, it's not allowedâ„¢. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              Does your DMV use letters in addition to the numbers?

There's a lot more that gets pictures taken than just license renewal/replacement.

Also, do you know that they didn't make appointments?
              Yeah, the numbers are like A123, B123, and so on. I'm not sure if they had appointments, or if the DMV here (VA) does that, but they could have. Either way, I would've hoped the woman would've at least said something to the guy along the lines of "You would skip too if you made an appointment." You think that'd be a thing an employee would say to an SC!

Quoth ADoyle90815 View Post
              I went for my driver's license renewal I usually just renew online, but I couldn't do it this time around, probably because my state recently redid their licenses with a new picture format that requires a new picture of you not smiling in it.

"In cases of customer bathroom emergencies, the toilet itself becomes less of a goal and more of a loose suggestion." - Shamus

Comment

Quoth IvorTangrean

As opposed to AAA having to get them mailed in maybe?
                I don't know. My local AAA office doesn't offer renewal of car registration. Here in my neck of the woods you van renew online, through the mail, or in person at the Sec of State.

Comment

I'm almost certain you can make appointments even where I live, though it would never be necessary since the wait is never longer than 10 minutes.
                  Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth I_Hate_SCs View Post
                    I went for my driver's license renewal I usually just renew online, but I couldn't do it this time around, probably because my state recently redid their licenses with a new picture format that requires a new picture of you not smiling in it.
                    I was talking about AAA doing your driver's license renewal, they take your picture there and print out the new license there.
                    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

If you're lucky, WA lets you do it all online!

Comment

this is why i go to the smaller DMVs whenever i can now. cos i've found - at least in ny - the smaller ones have less customers so the trips don't take so long.

last time i went, i showed up an hour before closing... it took me all of 10 minutes tops to get everything done.

ironically the call i made to the DMV earlier had taken 30-60 minutes of crappy hold-messages

Comment

Maybe that person made an appointment. I know that some states allow you to make an appointment for license renewal... not in my state, but maybe this was one of them.
                          "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."
                          - James Joyce

Comment

oo good point

Comment

The ladies at my local DMV in the town down the road are full of awesome,I've dealt with them for years on many issues related to mobile/manufactured homes,abandoned vehicles on foreclosed properties & my own collection of vehicles.They always have the answers & the needed paperwork & they're all sweet & friendly.
                              "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X