X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double-Sighting.

Two part sighting.

Wrong Game

It was hectic at GameStore today when I went to purchase some stuff. One of the associates (is that the word?) was going around, asking people if they needed help. Since my hands were full with a Kinect, and a few games, I asked him if he could grab NBA 2K10 off the shelf for me. He gave me a game, which I only looked at for about half a second, bought, and went home.

When I got home, I cracked it open, and... NBA Live 2010. Normally I wouldn't be upset, but my friend Brad just got a 360, and we were gonna play 2K10 together.

I'm not too upset, its an honest mistake to make, and I should have checked. Still feel a little annoyed though. I called, apologized for not checking, and they said they could exchange it. So no harm no foul.

Political Dad

I'd like to avoid tax related fratching on here, but since its a political complaint, I need to mention some controversial (around here) legislation.

This time I'm sighting my dad, who was paying (I was getting monies for Christmas). The woman rang us up, and explained that the tax had been raised, so Massachusetts has a 6.25% sales tax. Clearly she'd been dealing with assholes all day complainaing about the extra 1.25 cents on the dollar, but Dad said "Oh. That's good! We like taxes. We need to pay taxes for schools, and roads, and things like that."

The woman was very patient, but my god... The election is over! Mass. voted for the tax hike! You can stop campaigning for it now.

Finally, a non-sighting anecdote

Bi-partisan moment.

Gonna mention both politics AND religion in this one, so, like, we'll have to DOUBLE watch out for fratching here. So watch it!

My good friend Jacie is, like me, a Catholic, and a Republican. Unlike me, though, she's been baptized. (I wasn't. So I'm not a proper Catholic, but that's unrelated to pachyderms. That is to say, its irrelephant.)

She was at church on Christmas eve. She'd been first in line for the communion, but her younger sister had been pretty far behind, so she's waiting for her so they can go home. She sees a white-haired man, probably in his late sixties, making his way down the aisle. She swears she recognizes the guy, and she keeps trying to place his face "Hmmm... Was he one of my teachers? No... Did I work with him? Maybe he's someone on TV..."

As he got past, she recognized who it was, and smiled as he passed, and said "Merry Christmas, Mr. Vice President."

She also said she felt sorry for him, since everyone was whispering and pointing at him... Which she thought must be pretty uncomfortable, no matter how much it happens.

And that was my good friend Jacie's Bipartisan moment.

So, happy holidays everyone, and remember. NO FRATCHING.

Srsly.
    Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

I picked up Fallout New Vegas and Red Dead Redemption at Toys R Us, wrapped and set them under the tree. Unfortunately, the Red Dead Redemption was only the display box, and nothing was inside. I didn't even notice I was so frazzled. We were able to exchange it, but we had to go to another store as the one near us was out.

And the current sales tax where I live is 9.75%.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

yep, i remember the big moan and groan over the big green apron raising their prices here in sd; most took it well, but there were those who kept on complaining and one that refused to pay more, even though we'd given him leeway for a week. it got to the point where i had to have the manager chat with him about the price hike before he'd actually pay up.
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Wait, tax in Mass is now 6.25%, that is just outrageous, the burden the state puts you under is beyond belief... I'm so glad I live in a state that gets it like Utah where we NEVER overtax our residents, that's why we only charge... 6.85% sales tax... oh... umm... wait...
        Hyena, you're sales tax stories always make me feel so much better, mainly because I seem to not have to deal with them as often as you do
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

That final story is very sweet. How cool to attend services with the VP. And how cool for the VP to attend with "normal" people.

Comment

The woman was very patient, but my god
            hey at least it's a break from the usual complaints?

"Merry Christmas, Mr. Vice President."
            and politics shmolitics. it's a holiday and good manners are always in style, especially in that kind of situation

and thinking of him... again politics aside... it reminds me of what happened to me one sunday. After Mass I went to the grocery store and then drove home only to get stuck at an intersection close to my apartment - a cop car pulled out in front of the lane and blocked traffic. Then another road was blocked. not just cars but the bike riders too. i thought about trying to do a u-turn and go home another route but decided not to*

at first i thought it was some giant fire but then i realized it was something bigger than that. turned out to be a motorcade. when they finally passed by, the cops let us go and i went home to look it up online... yep, turned out the VP had gone to college in my city and had stopped by to visit.

* and, later on i found out my plan wouldn't have worked. on the way back the motorcade came back through and used my apartment complex road.... prolly cos it's easier to control access to it. so even if i had done the u-turn my own road would have been blocked off anyway.

Comment

I have to wonder if your "sales tax" is anything like the UK's VAT (Value added tax) which is charged on most goods and services. Some things such as food, childrens clothes and books are exempt.

If so, us Brits have you beat, as of January 2011 our tax will be 20%

Hooray [/sarcasm]

More info on VAT for anyone interested can be found here on the UK Revenue and customs website.

Edit: According to Wiki they're practically the same except in the US tax rates are generally applied on a state-by-state basis plus any federally mandated tax, in the UK it's all decided by parliament.
              Last edited by Golden Phoenix; 12-27-2010, 02:05 PM.

Comment

My mom got a DS game for my daughter, and there was some miscommunication as we got her the same game.

The one that my mom got, however, still had the security case on - she said that they never took it off.

Cool thing is that, even though the store she got it from is near the UP and we live in the Thumb of MI, my mom still had the receipt, and a call to the nearest store here and a drive there later we were able to get a refund.

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
                  I have to wonder if your "sales tax" is anything like the UK's VAT (Value added tax) which is charged on most goods and services. Some things such as food, childrens clothes and books are exempt.
                  NOTE: Just for informational purposes. Proper corrections to my errors, if any, are welcome, fratching-worthy comments are not.

There are a few differences. From what I understand, the VAT is compounded several times during the manufacturing process. In the case of a car, say:

1) Someone digs raw ore out of the ground.
                  2) Miner sells ore to steel smelter for cost + VAT
                  3) Steel smelter makes ingots of ordered purity/mix.
                  4) Steel smelter sells ingots to parts makers for price + VAT
                  5) Parts maker turns steel ingots into parts.
                  6) Parts maker sells parts to automaker for price + VAT.
                  7) Auto maker assembles and sells cars to customers for price + VAT*

*yes, i know I simplified this a bit, but I'm not building a huge flow chart on where the VAT might not be charged under certain circumstances. Plus, lazy.

Most of our sales taxes are only applied at the final point of sale, with some exceptions. Also, those sales taxes can be set by federal, state, county, city, and sometimes school district if the appropriate government gets it passed. You can have several different taxes being wrapped up under the sales tax line on the final bill. This is also the main reason posting prices as the 'final cost' on the shelf is impractical in the US. You'd be repricing for minor bumps and drops in the tax rate almost constantly.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                    There are a few differences. From what I understand, the VAT is compounded several times during the manufacturing process. In the case of a car, say:

1) Someone digs raw ore out of the ground.
                    2) Miner sells ore to steel smelter for cost + VAT
                    3) Steel smelter makes ingots of ordered purity/mix.
                    4) Steel smelter sells ingots to parts makers for price + VAT
                    5) Parts maker turns steel ingots into parts.
                    6) Parts maker sells parts to automaker for price + VAT.
                    7) Auto maker assembles and sells cars to customers for price + VAT*

*yes, i know I simplified this a bit, but I'm not building a huge flow chart on where the VAT might not be charged under certain circumstances. Plus, lazy.
                    One thing you need to remember - at all those stages, the VAT is claimed back by the business purchasing the item e.g. while 6) part maker is charging 7) auto maker VAT, 7) auto maker is able to deduct that VAT from their next VAT payment to HMR&C, so in the end only the final customer purchasing the car has to swallow the cost of VAT - & that's only if they're not a business, who can claim the VAT back once again...
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

The tax in Virginia is 5%... Employees and military personnel save 10% at Red Vest... We only really save on tax.. XD; *Cough* Anyway..

That last story was very sweet I don't think I could recognize any of the VPs even two hours after I was introduced to them XD; I'm horrid with faces! If it tells you anything, I keep thinking one of our Commercial Sales associates looks like our District Manager...
                      Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post

If so, us Brits have you beat, as of January 2011 our tax will be 20%

Hooray [/sarcasm]
                        Ugh, all of you are lucky... Here in Scandinavia we have 25% VAT on almost everything, except food and "culture"

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                          One thing you need to remember - at all those stages, the VAT is claimed back by the business purchasing the item
                          *smacks head* Right. Knew I was missing something there. In most places in the US, you can purchase tax free if you have proper paperwork to prove a tax-free status such as business or charity, also.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth RichS View Post
                            The one that my mom got, however, still had the security case on - she said that they never took it off.
                            that happened to mom too, for some PJs she bought me for my birthday or christmas - they forgot to take the beeper tags off and it never triggered the alarms on the way out. had to bring them back to get the tags removed... and *then* the alarms went off when we came in. but mom had the receipt handy and it was pretty clear we were coming in with the PJs so all was well

Employees and military personnel save 10% at Red Vest
                            Hot Topic too, well for the military at least.

though if you're military and wanna avoid taxes there's always the military exchanges, though the prices aren't always cheaper there.

Comment

Working...
                            X