This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Outings

Usually a lot of my friends and I meet up at this particular diner and order coffees, bacon and cheese fries, and other good, yummy stuff. This particular time there were all in all 7 of us. Only two other people aside from myself left a tip (I tipped for EVERYONE because I have a tendency to over-tip so when I over-tipped this time it covered everyone's tip if they had tipped 20% like I do.) And the weird thing was, the other people who tipped, I wouldn't even expect it from them. They're the most absent-minded, scatter-brained, off-the-wall young adults I've ever known. Yet they remember to tip properly when "normal" teenagers just leave. Maybe it's that young adult vs teenagers thing, no matter how scatter-brained us young adults may be.

And the 14 year old (annoying little one who clings onto older men like a parasite) didn't pay for her coffee so my friend ended up paying for her after SHE LEFT. We'll see if THAT happens again. *grumble grumble grumble*
    Last edited by Gaki; 12-31-2010, 04:39 AM.

I have a friend who I enjoy being with, but I try hard to keep my tipping around her private because she will reduce her own tip if she thinks I give too much. I tend to tip around 20%, but will sometimes tip higher if the meal is especially cheap (like breakfast) or the server goes over & above duty to serve us. My friend has a toddler and, as toddlers do, the girl leaves quite the mess. One breakfast I was horrified to see my friend put a couple dollars on the table for tip, see me leave a few dollars, then I watched as she picked up half of her tip and mutter at me "that's too much". So now my tipping is private.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe
      I have a friend who I enjoy being with, but I try hard to keep my tipping around her private because she will reduce her own tip if she thinks I give too much. I tend to tip around 20%, but will sometimes tip higher if the meal is especially cheap (like breakfast) or the server goes over & above duty to serve us. My friend has a toddler and, as toddlers do, the girl leaves quite the mess. One breakfast I was horrified to see my friend put a couple dollars on the table for tip, see me leave a few dollars, then I watched as she picked up half of her tip and mutter at me "that's too much". So now my tipping is private.
      I have the same exact kind of friend. Whenever I go out with her I make sure I have enough to put it on my prepaid card so she can't see what I put.

What kills me is she was a waitress at one time.

Comment

Well, bleh to the non-tippers.

I'm also curious, what country do you live in? It's relevant to the 14-year-old clinging to older men part for according reaction or non-reaction, since some countries have much lower age-of-consent, and thus very different reactions to the idea of a 14-year-old being clingy with older men. Of course, I could be reading that wrong entirely and she's just clingy with older guys in her age group... XD *Just wanting clarification* Not wanting to derail or anything there.
        Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

I don't think it's an age thing, I think it's a politeness/respect thing. I've gone out for meals with friends at 13-19 years old, and I've tipped. If I can't afford to tip, then I can't afford to go out for a meal. It's a privilige to have people bring you meals, fill up drinks, and clear up dishes after you, and it's part of the reason a lot of people go out.

I've been sorely tempted not to tip after a waiter or waitress has given my group of friends and I the stink eye, but that would just reinforce the stereotype, I guess.

Comment

There's only one place I won't tip and that's the applebee's up the road from my work, because they flat out refuse to serve anyone from my group if we are in their together (If we're with "Adults" or people out side of our normal group, we get served fine. Reason for not serving us: We complained about food taking 2 hours to get to us (An appetizer) and when we did get it, it was with attitude and the food was cold.

I always think tipping is nice, even if I can only leave a couple dollars.

Comment

Working...
            X