Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Give me a reimbursement/discount!" (library version)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Give me a reimbursement/discount!" (library version)

The customer was polite and pleasant when I personally was dealing with her, it's just what she wanted that could be considered sucky.

So according to this woman, she'd checked out a book on CD from the library, and one of the CDs got stuck/jammed in her stereo. I don't recall the exact details, but she'd taken the stereo to various places, they weren't able to remove the CD either, and she's now facing having to replace her stereo. And her reason for coming into the library was to explain the situation, and ask about possibly getting reimbursed for the cost of the stereo replacement (or repair).

Why would this be considered sucky? Because on all of our AV materials, there is a green sticker that states the library is not responsible for damage to the customer's equipment. Not to mention that circulation desk staff are NOT authorized to give refunds/reimbursements......that all would have to be done through our Accounting department. (and even then, it's not guaranteed to be approved)

So what I did for this customer was to give her the phone number for our call center, and told her someone there might have more information, or be able to direct her to someone who does.

What was her reaction when told she would have to pay for the CD if she didn't return it?
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

The SC doesn't need a new stereo, she just needs someone who knows what they are doing to get the CD out. This does sometimes involve pulling the device and going in through the back, but it is possible.

I like to listen to library audio books, and always clean the CD/DVD's before use. The stuff I find on them really upsets me. People should use library materials with care, gosh darn it!!!

If the disc was part of a set, the library can't just order the missing disc, they have to order a new set. My library system allows one to purchase a comparable set instead of paying their list price and don't charge a processing fee, which is nice IMO.

I have had 2 different stereos in 2 different cars eat library discs. Once my stereo guy was able to get the disc out from the front, the other time he had to pull the device.

Comment

There's a few reasons that a player won't give a disc back, but they're usually related to some failure in the equipment. Parts do eventually wear out/break.
        Now as to the timing of WHEN the player decided to stop giving things back... well, it's rare that they ever decide to hold on to our OWN stuff, but something we've borrowed/rented from somewhere. They know, somehow.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
          Now as to the timing of WHEN the player decided to stop giving things back... well, it's rare that they ever decide to hold on to our OWN stuff, but something we've borrowed/rented from somewhere. They know, somehow.
          It must be that hidden feature that reads the fingerprints on the cd. When it sees a new set of fingerprints, it jams.

(Hee, hee, hee. I may have just started a new conspiracy theory.)

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            It must be that hidden feature that reads the fingerprints on the cd. When it sees a new set of fingerprints, it jams.
            *GASP* You are so right! I've never had a device that has eaten one of MY discs, its always been borrowed discs. It MUST be the new fingerprints!!!

Comment

Why on earth would the library ever owe someone for a jammed CD? And I bet it wasn't that a business couldn't remove the CD, I bet it was more that she would have to pay for that service.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I'm so used to the cupholders optical drives on computers -- this leaves me wondering why the custydoesn't just un-bend a paperclip and stick it in the little manual release hole o_O
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sadly, with the advancement of gizmos, the majority of optical drives no longer have a spring-loaded ejection, but some form of motor-driven mechanism. The spring-loaded version is much simpler, but it too can find some way to stop functioning. The motor-driven setups... when they fail, usually require careful dissection, or more permanent 'solutions' to get the disc back. (Really, once those start failing, most fixes are just a limp-along patch until something else goes. Best to start looking for the replacement unit)

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                    Sadly, with the advancement of gizmos, the majority of optical drives no longer have a spring-loaded ejection...
                    In 20+ years I don't think a single one of my CD/DVD-ROM drives has ever had a spring release. The pin instead interacted with a panel that forced the usually motorised gears to turn, activating the mechanism to drive the tray out far enough for it to be grasped & pulled the rest of the way. If you were careful, they'd often work properly again afterwards, depending on why it jammed in the first place of course.
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

(Hee, hee, hee. I may have just started a new conspiracy theory.)
                      And I have passed it on.

My friend is involved with a small band and had one of their latest discs in her car. She was bragging on the band art on the disc label and pulled it out to show me. When I handed it back to her, she put it back in her gizmo and turned it on so I could listen and admire.

It got stuck and wouldn't play, so I apologized and told her your theory. My fingerprints were new, so that meant it belonged to someone else and could have been stolen. One of those anti-theft things they do now to stop copyright theft...

She stared at me for a minute while trying to decide if she believed me, but then I blew it by laughing.

Our theory now is that it happened because it was the 4th disc printed in the first run of 10, but no worries. She went home and told her husband that the brand new disc had gotten jammed in her car gizmo because of new anti-pirateing technology and happily reported that he started complaining about new gizmos when the old ones worked so much better and were easier to fix.

When this "theory" spreads and you folks start hearing about it from other folks...remember, you saw it here first!

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                        And I have passed it on.

clip

When this "theory" spreads and you folks start hearing about it from other folks...remember, you saw it here first!
                        That makes two on my list of accomplishments.

The first was when the following happened:

When I became engaged to Mrs. IA her mother approved, saying she was after she would be like her single maidenly aunt. Mrs. IA replied in shock that she was not a lesbian. Her mother said her aunt wasn't a lesbian, just a very successful woman.

I have since passed that description of the several lesbians, who agreed with it. I'm waiting to hear it repeated.

As for the aunt she had very close lady friend. Judging from the vintage photograph books she had, she was definitely into the ladies.

The other conspiracy theory I tried to start was in response to an Omni magazine contest. My submission was that the Air Force already had a manned base on the far side of the moon and all the UFOs being sighted were their moon ships. It never got mentioned in the magazine, so it must be true.

Comment

Working...
                        X