This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We don't give out free office supplies

I had a library patron come to the desk and ask if we had whiteout. we don't keep any up at the front.

A few hours later as he leaves he stops at the desk again and tells me that we need to get whiteout for next time he needs it.

When I told him we don't keep any up here for people to borrow he kept insisting that I tell my manager to stock up here for people to borrow. ....Yeah right, we buy cheap pens in bulk because people don't bring them back. He didn't like my suggestion to go buy some at the campus store less than a hundred yards from the library.

I prefer the people who think I'm some sort of tech support, it makes me at least feel smart right before I've no idea how to solve the problem. What is it about people who think that because the library is 'free' they can just take anything or that we're somehow trained to solve all their problems?

I'll get right on that 'complaint'. Hell I'll even tell my manager she loves a good joke.

My favourite is the girl who called up and asked me to transfer he to one of the dorm rooms.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Ugh I hate that. My department at my call center gets treated as the center "information desk" and we get the same thing all the time.... People expecting us to have an endless supply of pens/highlighters/staplers/white-out/whatever for their use. At least one of us usually *does* have those things but the people that "borrow" them don't bring them back, so....

Comment

That kind of stuff irritates me so much... At my store it's usually just people that ask for pens, tape, etc. Although we'll occasionally have people that want stuff to wrap gifts. There have been two or three people that wanted to work on projects at our store (usually it's scrapbookers for some reason), so we usually send them to the class/demonstration room and keep an eye on them. They still piss me off, though...

I know this is a bit of a derailment, but I can't help but share it... A while ago I was just finishing up taking care of a customer. She had paid with a check and had asked to borrow my pen. I had two pens--one that was mine, and the other belonged to another cashier. I lent her mine. When the transaction was over, I told her, "I'm sorry, ma'am, but I believe you took my pen" seeing as she hadn't left it on the counter. Her response was "No, I used my own pen. You have yours right there" To which I said, "The one here isn't mine. You asked to borrow the one I had, and I'd please like it back. You probably just put it in your purse by mistake--it happens all the time. It's a white click pen." She then took out the pen in question, and said, "You're mistaken--this pen is mine. See? It says 'Cleveland Clinic' on it; I'm a patient there." I gave up at that point--"Fine, ma'am--screw it. It's yours." She's either a chronic liar, a kleptomaniac, or both. I don't know which. But I still wish I had that pen.

Comment

When I worked as an insurance clerk, a customer borrowed my pen. A pen I had bought myself because the ones provided by the firm were cheap and blobby ball points.

After completing the form, he asked:

"Is this a work pen?"

"It's my pen."

"Yes, but is it a work pen?"

"It's my pen I use for work, yes."

"Ok, then you can get another from the stationary cupboard then."

With that, he put MY BLOODY PEN into his pocket and swept out of the office. What the hell, you checked first, discovered it was my pen, and then still stole it? Some people...

Comment

There's a Kids in the Hall sketch about that.

But I'd have chased that guy down. I'm very particular about my pens.

Comment

Quoth Record Store Tough Guy View Post
            There's a Kids in the Hall sketch about that.

But I'd have chased that guy down. I'm very particular about my pens.
            You too? I rarely let others use my personal pens for that reason.

If you're lucky enough to borrow my blue pen . . . then yes, I will stand over you while you use it and then hold my hand out for you to give it back.

And if you're stupid enough to try to pocket it, I can and WILL demand it back. Noncompliance will end up with the pen-thief being either chased down or their pocket raided.

Which one vendor tried to do last Friday and ended up getting his shirt pocket raided.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I mainly use some pretty nice Japanese ballpoints (Uni Power Tank--JList is the only place I can get them). So I'm also very protective of my writing implements--one has to be when shipping is equal to the cost of the instrument. I've "stolen" a couple back from work (how they wound up there I know not).

Want one of your own? Say so, put the cash in my hand and I'll order one (or however many you have the moolah for) for you next time I get stuff from there. Elsewise, paws off.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

when waitressing at the o'club (for thoes of you who have no idea what i am talking about it is the officer's club on the local air force base. which began with an o) I carried around pink sparkly pins. 98% of the customers were male. So, my pin never ever dissappeared.
                My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

I go through pen phases. I used to keep my pens clipped to my name tag string. Customers did not get to use my pens.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

In security, we're very specific that you MUST fill out forms, reports, etc. with black pens. As a result, GOOD officers know to have their own black pens. I even had (have) a pen that writes in black and has my name engraved on it (got it as a gift). Just as a test, there would be times where I would buy a BAG of black pens and put them in the pen cup/drawer at work...just to see how quickly they disappeared. Fun stuff.
                    You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Our store used to sell some nice ballpoints that were cheap (considering everything at the store was cheap), but worked so well for my art that people couldn't believe I was using a ballpoint. Now I'm down to the last one and after checking my store, Wal*Mart, Michael's, Target, and who knows where else, I can't find any more.
                      "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I've gotten a few nice pens in the past, and the only one that never disappeared was one that was plastered with my alma mater, as I'm the only person in the call center who went there, and everyone knows that. Lately, I've taken to buying colored legal pads and pens (on my desk at this moment are a pink tablet and a green pen) so I know they're mine. The ones work stocks are much less fun.
                        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Bagga View Post
                          When I worked as an insurance clerk, a customer borrowed my pen. A pen I had bought myself because the ones provided by the firm were cheap and blobby ball points.

After completing the form, he asked:

"Is this a work pen?"

"It's my pen."

"Yes, but is it a work pen?"

"It's my pen I use for work, yes."

"Ok, then you can get another from the stationary cupboard then."

With that, he put MY BLOODY PEN into his pocket and swept out of the office. What the hell, you checked first, discovered it was my pen, and then still stole it? Some people...

What a complete jerk. Just when I think I've heard it all...

Comment

I worked in a doctor's office for a short time and had a cup I kept on my desk which I used to hold my pens and pencils. I bought 2 or 3 really nice pens to keep in my cup but I soon discovered that there was a thief in the office. When I returned to work after lunch my pens were missing. So, I replaced them...and the day after that they were gone again. I ended up buying some cheap pens and those never seemed to disappear. Never did figure out who took them.

I hate pen thieves.

Retail Haiku:
                            Depression sets in.
                            The hellhole is calling me ~
                            I don't want to go.

Comment

i have a great way to insure my pens arent going to diappear.
                              I have two huge pens. Very bulky but usable.
                              Some asks to borrow a pen i reach in my purse, pull put my two orange pens, one grey pen, pink pen and one clicky pen and then pull out one of the big pens and hand it over.
                              Why this works?
                              One big hanking pen. Yeah im not going to notice that.
                              Two One is only available to those who made a certain donation to a certain hosptial from a certain location. so its unique. the second was one of 20 financle aid had for students. so unique.
                              three i have two. You steal one i have another to stab in your neck
                              dont still my pen.

Comment

Working...
                              X