Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The upside to asking for an id (or "you're like 12 compared to me")

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when I was 15 people would say they thought I was "about 20". Now that I'm 29, people keep saying I look "about 20". I don't get carded much because the drinking etc. age over here is 18.

Comment

I once carded a small, elfin looking woman for alcohol. She just gave me a huge grin and handed over her driving licience. She was 35. XD She told me, "You just made my day; my husband will have to hear about this."
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Well, at my grocery store (we sell beer/wine/cigs) we have a "Under 30 We ID" rule. Yet, even when I was just barely over 18, I was only carded for lotto tickets maybe once or twice. I guess stores don't take IDing for lotto as seriously as they do for say, adult beverages?

Comment

One time me, boytoy, and a friend go to the movies. Total comes to less then we were expecting, but toddled off anyway...

.. actually look at the tickets, and they had sold us two adult tickets and one child's ticket. The friend we were there with was 19. She pouted the rest of the night, and we just laughed and enjoyed the fact that we saved money due to our baby-faced companion.

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
            Well, at my grocery store (we sell beer/wine/cigs) we have a "Under 30 We ID" rule. Yet, even when I was just barely over 18, I was only carded for lotto tickets maybe once or twice. I guess stores don't take IDing for lotto as seriously as they do for say, adult beverages?
            Not unless you're in Massachusetts. Up until I was about 26, I'd been carded in that state more times than I can count. They seem to have a problem with underage gambling there and they go so far as to conduct stings just as they would for alcohol and tobacco.
            "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
              Yet, even when I was just barely over 18, I was only carded for lotto tickets maybe once or twice. I guess stores don't take IDing for lotto as seriously as they do for say, adult beverages?
              I can't remember the last time I carded someone for lotto. Honestly, there's barely anyone who gets lotto that looks young enough to BE carded! Other than employees sometimes, but then I know how old they are. I do enjoy glowering at children to chase them away from the scratch-off machine, however.

Comment

When I was 19 and in college, I went on a trip to Florida with my father, and got mixed signals. One restaurant we went to didn't blink an eye when I ordered an [alcoholic] drink (the drinking age was 21), indicating to me that I looked older.

But then there was this man who overheard us talking about going to Epcot Center at the hotel diner during breakfast one day, and said that I was too young to enjoy it! He was like shocked when we told him I was 19.

I don't know how young he could possibly have thought I was. At 19, I don't think I could have passed for anything less than 15, which is way old enough for Epcot Center.

Comment

Quoth solidmetalgear19 View Post
                  Me: Uh, well we have a policy where we have to card anyone who we suspect of being under the age of 17.

H:
                  So, when she laughed and told you she was almost 40, did you still ask for her ID? I would have. People can laugh all they want, but if you ask for their ID, they need to show it to you, even if they find it amusing. Especially if you are dealing in alcohol or smokes, as I do. I have often had people when I card them ask, "Are you serious?" My answer: "Absolutely."

As for what you said to her about why you were carding her, you might want to rephrase that....rather than saying you card anyone who you suspect of being under 17, just say you card anyone that looks under 18/20/whatever you feel comfortable with. That way you won't be irritating someone who thinks that you "suspecting" them means you are accusing them, blah blah blah entitlement whore blah blah blah playing the victim blah blah blah.

Quoth Boozy View Post
                  I still get carded, and I'm a few months shy of 30. Not as impressive as some of these 40 year-olds getting asked for their ID, but it still makes me happy.
                  I am 37. I still occasionally get carded. Got carded twice this month, once for drinking (which was hilarious), and once for cigarettes (which was more hilarious, since I don't smoke...was picking up some cancer sticks for coworkers). The amusing thing is, the bar carding was when I was cleanshaven, so I could almost understand that, but the cigarette carding was before I shaved off the goatee. Now, I may not look 37--okay, most people think I don't--but there is no way I look like I am too young to buy smokes! Hell, the youngest anyone has guess me at in a while is 27!

Quoth princess4life View Post
                  "No one under 21 could have 3 kids that age."
                  Right. Because, you know, young teens NEVER have sex.

Please. Not only COULD a person under 21 have three kids, I am betting a good number of them actually DO.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth TheKit10666 View Post
                    I always get carded. Sometimes this is very sad. My sister, who by the way is six years younger than I am and a minor, and myself went to the movies together and it was a rated R movie. They asked me for id but did not ask my sister. My sister was thirteen at the time and I was the one that had to buy her ticket. She just laughed the whole way to the line.
                    Its often annoying to be carded when we are young but as we get older it starts to be a positive event instead of a negative one. How old did the movie theater employees think your sister was?

Comment

Right. Because, you know, young teens NEVER have sex.

Please. Not only COULD a person under 21 have three kids, I am betting a good number of them actually DO.
                      Well, if the kids are 7-10, that'd be a different story. I don't see too many 11-year-olds with babies, even in this day and age. She's right, though. She could still easily have been the babysitter.
                      Last edited by Broomjockey; 11-08-2007, 07:43 PM. Reason: fixing quote tags
                      If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

I always have to laugh when I'm out to dinner with my boyfriend. I never get carded when I'm on my own. When I'm out with him though, I (28 years old) ALWAYS get carded and he (26 years old) never does. It's been that way for three years. We've started making jokes with waitresses about it. Some will indulge me and card him afterall. I always like those waitresses.
                        "Any free samples?"
                        "Sorry, not today."

Come on people, we're a bank not a bakery.

Comment

Working...
                        X