This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here Econ is required.
    Mine taught me howCredit/loans work, basic budgeting, how to fill out checks, different investment avenues, tax procedures, and what taxes to expect to be taken out... i m sure some people are idiots and dont follow this still....

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
      It was taught by the football coach, and he was into the stock market, so that's what he taught.
      My economics teacher had an unhealthy obsession with the real estate market. Every example was about buying a flippin' house.

High school kids need to learn about credit cards. That's step one. They won't be buying themselves a house if they end up in heavy credit card debt.

That was the stupidest SC I've read about here in a very long time.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Coming from a certified teacher (Im certified to teach marketing and business), Personal finance classes are now starting to be required in certain states (Wisconsin where Im from recently added it to all curriculum by law). Personal finance includes education about credit cards and credit. The only problem that school districts are having is who teaches the class...there are several different areas of discipline who can...business...social studies...home economics...tech ed....they can all teach it...and all are fighting to have it included as part of their department (can we say job security?)
        "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Makes you weep for us Aussies, doesn't it?

She's probably from a wealthy family and never had to deal with money issues before because Daddy used to pay for everything.

It's a pity your bank doesn't give you free money because I would sign up immediately. Is your bank the big one with the little name?
          Total surrender
          Your touch is so tender
          Your skin is like water on a burning beach
          And it brings me relief
          "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

My 9 year old knows how a credit card works. I can't help it, I have little sympathy for anyone who lives outside of their means on their credit cards, knows damn well what they're doing, gets themselves into debt on frivolous charges and then tries to claim someone owes them something for this mess they're in.

It's stupidity, plain and simple.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
            ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
              Here Econ is required.
              Mine taught me howCredit/loans work, basic budgeting, how to fill out checks, different investment avenues, tax procedures, and what taxes to expect to be taken out... i m sure some people are idiots and dont follow this still....
              That's exactly what is needed, in every high school everywhere. So many people just can not understand the importance of living within their means and paying off their loans. It's sickening.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Killer Bees View Post
                It's a pity your bank doesn't give you free money because I would sign up immediately. Is your bank the big one with the little name?
                Your Honour, I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may incriminate myself...

Draco

Comment

I really didn't know that people today don't know how a CC works. My 90+ year old grandmother, even knew how a credit card worked, even though she never had one.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                    I really didn't know that people today don't know how a CC works. My 90+ year old grandmother, even knew how a credit card worked, even though she never had one.
                    I only have a debit card, and I know how credit cards work... I agree with HawaiianShirts on how people who think that credit cards are free money should probably get sympathy, but what they should definitely get is a nice big dose of reality. Actually, make that an overdose of reality.

A reality overdose would consist of showing a credit-card-ignorant SC what happens to people after they run up credit card debt and have their entire lives ruined because of one incredibly ignorant and stupid decision... kind of like how the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come showed Ebenezer Scrooge what things would be like once he was dead and gone. I will even provide my own large, hooded robe that conceals my face in a misty shadow for the job.

Some of my ideas may not be perfect, but they're worth considering.
                    "Oh, you hate your job? There's a club for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet down at the bar." ~Drew Carey

Comment

Sometimes you just get screwed!

I was an authorized user on my Mom's card. (Her card number but with my name) I was not responsible for paying the bill, she wanted me to have it for emergency money. My credit score is in the tank. I can't get a $200 loan to get my teeth fixed. I am now getting bills for her Macy's card too, I never signed any paper work for either card. She filed for backrupcy so the debt has been written off as a loss. But they can still bill me for it! WTF?!
                      Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
                      The following is subject to change:
                      If Your Going Through Hell,
                      Keep Going...

Comment

Not to completely play Devil's Advocate, but lack of economics education in school + credit card companies' predatory tactics towards first time card users + constant advertising that cards should be used for any and every purchase = a gigantic clusterwhoopie waiting to happen.
                        "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

I think the credit card companies rely on that very clusterwhoopie.

For example, I got a letter chastising me for not paying the mandatory minimum amount on the date it was due. And in the same post, in another envelope, the bank told me that it had increased my CC maximum by 1000 pounds.

That is to say "We know that you can't afford to repay your current debt, so we are giving you the opportunity to increase that debt"

Comment

Rather than blaming the economics/business classes as schools, i blame the english classes.

credit != "pile of free money"
                            It is better to be the hammer than the nail.

Comment

Quoth Killer Bees View Post
                              One of my banks (I've got accounts with 2) gave me free money. Sure it was only $15, and only when I first opened the account, but it was still free money. I'm now hi\oping they'll give me a free laptop for switching to online statements.

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post
                                if she'd used the card to pay for purchases, she'd have had the first 55 days interest free.
                                That is a VERY generous grace period if you ask me. Most places are 25 to 30 days at most.

Comment

Working...
                                X