This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MrDelirious View Post
    Wow, actually, I haven't played FF9 since...yeesh...6th grade? A while ago. I barely remember it. "Sarah" was just the name I pulled out of the air, and "Beatrix" was from Harry Potter (not really a reference, I just like the name).
    Bellatrix?

I was thinking Beatrix Potter of Peter Rabbit fame when I read your pseudo-name for coworker, actually!

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
      Bellatrix?

I was thinking Beatrix Potter of Peter Rabbit fame when I read your pseudo-name for coworker, actually!
      Yep. However, I didn't want to go all-out nerd on you. Also, she's not nearly as crazy.

Anyway, I'm tempted to call MasterCard to try and figure out how the hell a card could do that. Any ideas?
      Current Faith in Humanity Meter:
      {|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}

Comment

Quoth MrDelirious View Post
        Yep. However, I didn't want to go all-out nerd on you. Also, she's not nearly as crazy.

Anyway, I'm tempted to call MasterCard to try and figure out how the hell a card could do that. Any ideas?
        That's easy enough. I'd guess the card has a code on it that causes your register software to track into a bad place. When it gets there, error handling in the program fails for some reason, and the register locks/reboots.

It may not be malicious code, just something that affects your particular software strangely. I've run into a computer that would reboot everytime a certain video file was played on it, but other computers played it fine.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
          That's easy enough. I'd guess the card has a code on it that causes your register software to track into a bad place. When it gets there, error handling in the program fails for some reason, and the register locks/reboots.

It may not be malicious code, just something that affects your particular software strangely. I've run into a computer that would reboot everytime a certain video file was played on it, but other computers played it fine.
          That's why you should avoid the bestiality vids man, you never know what they're going to do to the comp
          If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

Quoth tangrid View Post
            That's why you should avoid the bestiality vids man, you never know what they're going to do to the comp
            Actually, it was an anime music video done to Paul Simon's "You Can Call me Al."

And just HOW would YOU know that about "bestiality vids?" Nevermind, I don't wanna know.

The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth solemnwarning View Post
              More eliteist programmer ranting:

The cards should only contain data, you would have to be an idiot for cards to be able to do that, what do the developers do? Ignore buffer overflow attempts? Use nil-terminating bytes somewhere? EXECUTE CODE FROM THE CARD?!
              Well don't you ever read thedailywtf.com? what you SHOULD do is not what they always do.
              I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Our brand-new registers run MS-DOS.
                Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Working...
                X