X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIVE FURKING CENTS!

(without the extra R)

SC gets $10.05 of gas, and comes in to pay...

SC: *starting to hand over $50 note* Pump number 16 please.
    Me: OK, ten dollars and five cents...
    SC: OH YOU'RE NOT GOING TO CHARGE ME THE EXTRA FIVE CENTS! I DON'T F-INKG BELIEVE THIS! IT'S ONLY FIVE CENTS FOR FECK'S SAKE! *throws five cent coin, snatches $40 change, and leaves*

Of course I was going to charge "the extra five cents" (AKA the full amount) anyway, I was going to ask if she had some small change so I didn't have to count out $39.95.

Oi. People like that. No bet that she'd have screamed more if it had been $9.95, and you'd said $10 please.

But remember, it's still only 5 cents.
    Last edited by Broomjockey; 11-05-2007, 11:24 AM.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

It's 5 cents for her, but if you did it for every customer, that's a large loss for your business.
      Of course, if it were the OTHER way round, where you owed her 5c in change, she would most likely kick up a stinking fuss to get it...
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
        It's 5 cents for her, but if you did it for every customer, that's a large loss for your business.
        Exactly! Five cents times a couple of hundred per shift, times six shifts per day, and it adds up.

Comment

I'm actually surprised how few people at my new job have been worried about the one or two pennies I didn't have access to, but owed them for change. And it's a regular happening, too, due to the tax rate, most items in the store that aren't on clearance end in .99, so there's a lot of $XXX.X9 sales.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Yeah, if the situation was reversed, the customer sure as hell would care about that extra 5 cents.

I've had customers get bitchy with me before when I (ONCE in a blue moon - I am usually very careful when counting change out to customers) forget to give them the 3 or 5 cents they're owed. I mean, come on. I had one lady almost freak out on me because I accidentally forgot to give her a penny she was owed back. She started nearly shaking and saying "You forgot my penny! You forgot my penny!" I gave her her damn penny. Christ!
            My Myspace, add me!

Comment

Where I work there is a small "give a penny, take a penny" container for stuff like this. A customer needs an extra penny or five because they don't wanna break a larger bill, or are a couple of cents short, etc, may take it from this container. Likewise, a customer has a few pennies or small change extra they don't want cluttering up their pockets they leave it there for someone else to use. There is never more than a few cents in the container at any one time, but it sure does work and prevent such problems.

Comment

I saw an incident like this when paying for my drink at a gas station. The middle aged guy was berating the third shift staff because he thought they had shorted him a nickel. During my entire transaction, this guy crowded me and bitched as I tried to ignore him. Then he tried to berate me because I was trying to manuver around him to enter my PIN number. After flatly telling him to back off, he realized that he was about to screw up. I was still wearing my do-bak from class, complete with slightly worn black belt and "instructor stripes".

If I had pockets, I would have fished out a quarter, flicked it at him and said "Keep the change. You obviously need it more than I do."
                A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Whenever I used to find a nickel or dime or two orphaned at the registers, or occasionally when my register would start out over by a few cents, I would change them for pennies and set them aside (where only I could reach them). Then I could decide who deserved to get my pennies and who deserved a handful of change back...
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

From back when I worked as a pump jockey, I used to get people who insisted on pumping their own. Since I wasn't in New Jersey or Oregon, and since I'd either get bullied into letting them pump or told by my manager to let them, or both, I had to let them.

Of course, when I pumped a couple cents over, I let it slide...but when they pumped a couple cents over (or more), almost all of them would refuse to pay and/or tell me to go fuck myself. (And people wonder why I haven't set foot in that store in ten-plus years.)
                    "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

If people don't want to pay the extra five cents, they need to learn to pump gas properly. Or keep a few pennies on hand for accidents like that. It really is NOT hard to pump an even dollar amount of gas. Don't blame the clerk because you're an idiot.

People used to do that to me, too. They'd pump like $10.06 or something and throw a ten dollar bill at me and say "I ain't givin ya da extra cuz your pumps are rigged and rippin us off!" or "I ain't paying da rest because da pump wouldn't stop!"
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I have people who do this quite often:

They pump, say, $10.01 or $10.02. They're coming in to get other stuff, but will pay for the gas first with just a $10 bill. They make it clear that they're not going to bother with the change because they expect to take it from the penny tray or "always leave a penny in the tray." I never leave change in the penny tray because I see too many jerks who practically steal change from it, and that just annoys me. I just put all the pennies in the register as people leave them. That way, if someone does go over and won't be getting anything else, it will balance. So, I usually just set the $10 bill aside, and wait for them to get the rest of their stuff. Then, I ring it all up at once, and take the $10 bill off before I tell them the total. Most people don't even notice. Occasionally, someone will say something about it, but they soon realize that it's not worth their effort to complain.
                        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

My favorite it's only moment was today, at our JFK location we have 2 airline rates, a crew rate and an industry discount... crew rates must be reserved in advance by the company while the industry rate can be booked at any time by the employee... usually it's only a $5 difference, but oh how people get upset... it's like, damn people, your still paying half as much as anyone else is paying, stop bitching and realize just how good you have it.
                          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
                            I have people who do this quite often:

They pump, say, $10.01 or $10.02.
                            Because our smallest denomination coin is $0.05, people are entitled to the free 1 or 2 cents. And a lot of people "take advantage" of it (how far can you go on 20ml?). Sometimes they go to $10.03 or $10.04 (which both round up to $10.05) and most of the time they have the extra 5 cent coin. I think some of them keep 5 cent coins in their cars for when it happens.

Comment

Working...
                            X