Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember years ago, my parents had a garage sale, and early birds were a problem. However, they came up witha creative solution...at the time, we had a dog. Not just any dog, but a LARGE, 140 lb mastiff, who, although you wouldn't know it, was afraid of her own shadow. Their garage was detached, at the back of the driveway....

So mom decided the best way to deal with the early birds was to tie the dog to the garage door, and while she barked, and was afraid, was a really good deterrent, and allowed the folks to get everything ready so they could start at the designated time!

Comment

I love mastiffs. They're such babies at heart, but when they bark, it sounds like the gates of hell have opened. They can actually shake the walls.

I want one.

/off topic blabbering

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth xlr82xs View Post
        not to induce paranoia, but are you sure the cheap bastard didn't just hide one of the bluetooth headsets inside the mason jar be bought ?
        Yeah. The jars were on a flat (piece of cardboard) and plastic-wrapped. We had the bright idea to do some home canning ages ago, and never got around to it. Plus, I only had 2 headsets left (what didn't sell on eBay), and they were both sold.
        "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

You know what the worst kind of garage sale SC there is . . .

Metal Scrappers.

When my mom and I were running our last garage sale (August-ish) a scrapper came through, plucked out EVERY single bit of metal item in the sale, set it aside and then offered some un-Godly low amount for it all (not even enough to consider). The fact is, a lot of merchandise he gathered was still very useable (a tea kettle, set of very nice chome plated dog bowls, pots, pans, etc.).

My mom declined, saying the tea kettle alone is worth such-and-such amount. He gave us an offer on all of our random cords (you know, power cords and charger cords for stuff lost/broken long ago). We opted to take the offer since a lot of people aren't interested in a random cord or two.

He left, but not after spouting (I'd really hate to say this and start a debate, but it really upset me) well, very Christian Religious statements to both me and my mother (which was completely uncalled for).

And he left the whole pile of merchandise just sitting in a pile, right where he left it. I got the task of putting it all away.

Needless to say, naught but a minute later, a lovely mother & daughter came and snapped up the dog bowls for half the price the guy offered us (saying it was a great deal).
          This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
            I love mastiffs. They're such babies at heart, but when they bark, it sounds like the gates of hell have opened. They can actually shake the walls.

I want one.

/off topic blabbering
            Me too! I want another one! They are sweet, but scary....as you said, when they bark...

The drool, however, I don't miss....but I got used to it...

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
              I should point out that as she was looking at the dresses, I was critiquing her trashy apparel. She had butterflies on her back jeans pockets, but one looked a little off. It was like, half a butterfly, then just blue. Hey, that looks like skin. Wait a minute. That's a hole in her jeans. I'm looking at her panties and buttcheek. I almost considered letter her take all the dresses for a dollar, just so she could wear something that didn't have her ass hanging out for the world to see.
              I will never understand why that's okay. If you want to expose yourself, there are more fashionable ways to do it.

Tripp goth pants seem especially apt to tear in the crotch or butt after several months (especially among guys who never see the problem with walking on the hem). A couple guys in anime club would regularly suffer from this. In one aweful case, there was a guy who was built a bit like Hagrid from Harry Potter and was sitting in front of me (with his back to me). When he stood up, a rip about 8-10" long opened to show me his hairy nasty boy parts! EEEEW!

On another occasion, my ex had ruined his pair, and finally angered me to the point that I demanded he take them off right then and there so I could fix them. So when his friend came by a little while later, he had to explain why he was answering the door in his boxers. Friend: "Why? I have giant rips and tears in my pants." Me: "We can add that to the many reasons why I'm not dating you."

It doesn't matter how poor you are! Goodwill has awesome clothes! Yard sales can have good finds! And things are even cheaper if you learn how to sew! Why in the HELL must people wear holes in their pants? GAH!
              The icon is a bunny with a spiked collar from some carpet ad.

Comment

Britney was at your garage sale? Lol!

I love going to yard sales, even if I just look around. We had one a few years ago and of course we had the sc's who would come up and tell us we didn't have much to sell, which is just rude!

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                  Am I the only one who read the White Trash Queen story and thought "holy crap, Britney Spears was at Kara's house"?
                  ...no. ><

But dear God, I'd go straight to eBay with everything. ;p My mom had a garage sale there a week or so ago and her complaints are erieely similar. She lives in Hope, BC. Not quite as bad as Qualicum Beach, but still a fair amount of retirees.

Quoth napoleana
                  Tripp goth pants seem especially apt to tear in the crotch or butt after several months (especially among guys who never see the problem with walking on the hem).
                  I find most designer clothes just fall *apart* under any sort of actual use aside from walking through the mall. I had an ex who took it upon herself to "correct" my nice casual comfortable Levi's and t-shirt combo. The "fashionable" pants she put me in fell apart inside of a month or two even though all I did in them was walk around. Same with the shirts.

Needless to say I went right back to my Levi's. You can wear a pair of Levi's until you die.. -.-

Comment

They used to have quality, back when they were slightly cheaper and not everyone was wearing them. I had a couple of girlfriends that each had one pair when I met them, and they both wore their pair as often as possible for all the years I knew them. The only reason one of them can't wear that pair now is because she's lost a ton of weight.

But now they are cool and don't have to try because people will spend whatever they have to no matter how many fall apart on them, because they would never dream of dying their own pants black and adding "bondage" straps themselves.
                    The icon is a bunny with a spiked collar from some carpet ad.

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post

SO: Wow, he bought almost all the movies.
                      ME: Yeah, he pretty much wiped us out there.
                      SO: Good.
                      ME: Hehe, but he also bought X: The Movie, the poor bastard. May God have mercy on his soul.
                      Okay, so X: The Movie isn't all that good but I didn't think it required divine intervention. Damn, now I'm gonna have to dig out MY VHS copy and watch it again since I haven't seen it in 10 years. Maybe I'm forgetting something.
                      You mess with me, you dance in the dark!

Comment

Quoth napoleana View Post
                        But now they are cool and don't have to try because people will spend whatever they have to no matter how many fall apart on them, because they would never dream of dying their own pants black and adding "bondage" straps themselves.

but that's so fun to do! plus you can get some neat colours with dye.... *notes the glaring mods* okok, back on topic then....

i remember we had a barn sale once... never again. some people were trying to buy the freaking tractors (that we were using to block off the back of the barn so noone would steal the equipment. )
                        Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                        X