This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazies Abound

My last full-time gig was as a telesurveyor for a small marketing company. We got a lot of different contracts, and one of them was to do follow-up satisfaction surveys for a lot of different universities throughout western Canada. These were easy and fun, because most people enjoyed reminiscing or giving their alma mater a good score. There are always a few, however...

Me = plucky telephone magician
    SC = a beautiful mind
    PW = poor wife
    SF = sucky father

A Planet Short Of A Picnic

Me: Hi! My name is the_std and I'm calling on behalf of Boring University! *shpeal shpeal shpeal* Would you have a few minutes for some questions?
    SC: Wait... Did you say you were calling from Boring University?
    Me: I'm calling on behalf of them, sir.
    SC: Wait... I bet you that... THEY told you to call me, didn't they?
    Me: Uh... I'm sorry?
    SC: THEY! They told you to call! But that's wrong! I'm supposed to be a national treasure! My work is very important! I was going to remain... *whisper mutter whisper* I was going to remain anonymous! (he paused to take a deep breath at this point, while I was trying to figure out what the good farking moon was going on here) I'm VERY disappointed in you... Wait, what did you say your name was?
    Me: My name was the_std, and, sir, if you don't have the time to do this right now I can call back later or you can fill it out online if you-
    SC: ONLINE?! But that's even less safe! Oh no no no no I don't want to be found. You can't find me! I refuse! I can't do this! No! Then you will find me! I cannot be found! I am a NATIONAL TREASURE!
    Me: But sir, wouldn't they value your opinion on this if you were so important?
    SC: ...... No. NO! You're just TRYING TO FIND ME! Never call me back! Never ever! Good bye and God bless! *click*

This was one of my monitored calls for the night, and the supervisor told me I did a very good job of trying to retain a client, even one so obviously off his meds. I got a one-dollar bonus and three chocolate bars for that.

Extra Education

Me: Hi! Can I please speak to Blanky McBlankerson?
    PW: Oh, who's calling, please?
    Me: My name is the_std and I'm calling on behalf of Crapola University.
    PW: Well, Blanky doesn't live here anymo-
    SF: WHO IS CALLING?
    (I jumped a bit when he yelled this in the middle of his wife's sentence. I hadn't realized there were two people on the line. Oh, and all caps cannot convey how absolutely loud this man shouted. I was amazed I could hear after this phone call.)
    PW: It's just someone for Blanky, hon-
    SF: NO! You're calling from that goddamned university, aren't you? You FUCKER! How DARE you call this house? After all those letters I've sent you! How dare you?
    PW: Honey, no, they just want to talk to Blanky and-
    SF: NO! How fucking DARE you! I refuse to deal with you people!
    Me: Well, sir, I need to talk to Blanky in order to-
    SF: No. You will never call here again. Now, Wifey, give me the phone...

There was a bit of muffled noise, and then a loud click. He'd hung up both lines at once. I wish I could say that was the end of that, but nope. Policy was that we weren't allowed to accept refusals from ANYONE but the student. No one. Not even if they threatened us with anything and everything. Most unwilling parents realized this and either caved or blocked our number. So someone was going to have the pleasure of calling this number back. And guess who that lovely someone was, three nights later?

Me: Hello, can I please speak to Blanky?
    PW: Oh, is this Crapola University again?
    Me: Yes, m'am, I was the one who called a few nights ago. Can I-
    PW: I'm so sorry for the way my husband reacted when you called the other night... See, Blanky came out of the closet while he was attending your university and my husband has always blamed you for it. I'm so very, deeply sorry.
    Me: That's fine, m'am, no harm done. You said last time that Blanky no longer lives here? Can I have a number to contact him at?

The rest of the call went fine. I guess Sucky Father wasn't home to monitor the phone. I got Blanky's number and he did the survey. He was a very nice man. I made sure to be extra nice to him.

Yeah, I tend to attract the, uh, differently balanced more than the outrightly sucky, but it's amusing none the less!

Quoth the_std View Post
    This was one of my monitored calls for the night, and the supervisor told me I did a very good job of trying to retain a client, even one so obviously off his meds. I got a one-dollar bonus and three chocolate bars for that.
    I approve your boss' idea of what a bonus is. Now tell me more about the chocolate bars.

Quoth the_std View Post
    PW: I'm so sorry for the way my husband reacted when you called the other night... See, Blanky came out of the closet while he was attending your university and my husband has always blamed you for it. I'm so very, deeply sorry.
    ....I didn't know universities could make you gay. Was he a theatre major?
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

yeah... ditto... what Soulstealer said...
      Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Quoth the_std View Post
        I should NOT have been drinking when I read that. Of course it's the University's fault - it's those additives they put in the water.
        "If life ain't just a joke, then why are we laughing?" - Gerard Way

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
          ...I didn't know universities could make you gay. Was he a theatre major?
          Hah! Good one.

On a more serious note, though, that father was... special... and by "special" I mean "one of those who will be first against the wall when my empireship of the world becomes public." This is in comparison to the guy from the first story, who was "special" meaning "mostly amusing, but I wouldn't want to let him near any sharp objects".
          Last edited by JustADude; 11-09-2007, 05:46 AM.
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

That doesn't sound too different to what I'm used to. I heard some kid from a small rural, conservative town in Texas goes to the state university down in Austin. Now for those of you who don't know, Austin, the capital, is also the most liberal part of a conservative state. Kid goes home for Xmas break...and you guessed it, he's very liberal. Dad pulls him out of fancy state university after numerous debates at the dinner table and he ends up at a local community college.

Olive juice you too.

Comment

Quoth BrassCowboy View Post
              Dad pulls him out of fancy state university after numerous debates at the dinner table and he ends up at a local community college.
              Sigh... Ya know heaven forbid a University actually teaches your kid to think for himself... oh no... we can't have that...

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                Sigh... Ya know heaven forbid a University actually teaches your kid to think for himself... oh no... we can't have that...
                Yeah, and heaven forbid parents let their (presumably at least 18 if they're in college) kids make decisions on where they want to go to school...

(f course, dad probably said "I'm paying for it, you'll go where I say"...)
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

See what happens when you educate people? They fall OUT OF YOUR DIRECT CONTROL!!!

(I smell a pathological narcissist!)

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                    ....I didn't know universities could make you gay.
                    When I was going to University, I became friends with a guy who invited me to a church thing, and I kept going to church with him for a while. When I met his fiance to be, I asked her if she went to University, too. I can't quote her exact reply, but it was basically that Universities are a giant drug-induced orgy-fest and by attending one it would be hard to stick to your morals.

Not the least bit surprised that someone thinks being out from under parental thumb made a student gay.
                    The icon is a bunny with a spiked collar from some carpet ad.

Comment

Heh, this reminds me of a story from my first year away at college: I shared an on-campus apartment with 3 other guys, one of whom was a foreign-exchange student and was friends with all the other foreign exchange students. I noticed that they seemed to behave like they had just been let off the leash, and were engaging in the "college as an orgy of parties and sex" thing to a greater degree than most of the other students. But I digress...

Spring Break had just ended and I stepped into my apartment with my clothes and all my other stuff and was greeted by one of my roommate's foreign exchange friends:

FES: Did you have a nice Spring Break?
                      Me: Yeah.
                      FES: Did you have a lot of sex?
                      Me: Ummmm, some
                      FES: Really? One girl or lots of girls?
                      Me: With my girlfriend.
                      FES: Aww man that's boring!
                      Me: (thinking "Shouldn't you be scheduling an appointment at the free clinic? How many girls have you been sleeping with if that question even comes to your mind?")

Okay, maybe not too relevant but it speaks to that whole "being out from other your parents' thumb" thing
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                      X