This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I actually had a SC today

Well I've been workign as an Independent contractor with the county HEAP program winterizing low income people's homes. The job is about to end as the county funds are drying up so they are definately wanting to keep costs low and so that limits what exactly I am authorized to do. Basically anythign that involves construction or repairs of furnaces or other heat sources are not covered by the program or the insurance I work under from the county. This is important.

I stop by the office to get my work sheets for the day. Nothign major just putting skirting up on several trailers in a trailer park. *sigh* first 3 go well. The last one of the day had a note on it sayign the person was to receive minimal services and thats it.

I get to this trailer and go up to the door ID hanging on the jacket pocket and clipboard with the papers I need signed out. The "lady" who finally answered the door was rather unpleasant. Remember Mr Furious' boss at the junkyard from mystery men? This was her ugly sister I think. I would like to grow as good a moustache. Not to mention she was smoking a cigar. Not a cigarillo a cigar! I tell her who I am and what I'm here for. She grunts somethign that sou like "guahed" So I hand her the paper she looks at it and sighs heavily like I'm askign for her soul and scrawls something in the right areas.

I do the work. Just placing skirting is all I'm authorized to do here. Get done. Clean the work area get everythign ready and go up to have her sign the work acknowledgement paper. She answers the door again in her cheerful manner. Looks at the paper and screeches "I signed all your papers already." "Just one more ma'am."

This apparently set her off as she starts griping about how I didnt finish the job and how she didnt get her furnace fixed and how I was supposed to fix her furnace and she was going to get us to fix her furnace and on and on about the furnace. And she wasnt signing any GD papers until I fixed her busted furnace. I just smiled said I'll go use the phone in the truck and see what I can do about that.

Calling the boss. They said that they'll deal with it and to just bring the papers in and call it a day. So thats what I did with the "lady" watching from the front door as I drove off into the fading sunset. Sometimes its good to be an independent.

Nothing major compared to some people around here. But I dont get them as often as you guys do either so each one is a bit more disturbing I guess. Oh well out of probably several dozen people I've dealt with this being the first one is not a bad ratio.

Americans have furnaces in their trailers? :O
    No wonder all the crude oil is being burned up...
    Linux user (Debian and Kubuntu)
    Programmer in C and perl!

I'm "only" 16 but do NOT try and outskill me with machines

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
      So thats what I did with the "lady" watching from the front door as I drove off into the fading sunset.
      If your life were a movie, that would be the hero shot.

Must have felt good.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth solemnwarning View Post
        Trailers they live in, that never go anywhere unless a flood, hurricane or tornado comes through.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I must add that not *all* trailer parks are trashy . . . I live in a trailer park and it's very nice

And our furnace is electric and works quite well (a little too well) . . . In fact, ours is the only trailer in the park without a woodstove
          This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
            I must add that not *all* trailer parks are trashy . . . I live in a trailer park and it's very nice
            I've seen some pretty nice trailer parks, I have to admit.

There's one near where I live, and every time I drive by I see all these full-grown trees, neighbourhood children playing together, and people barbecuing around a group of picnic tables. I always thought it seemed like such a nice community.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

trails can be nicer than houses, england has some million dollar trailor parks (or million pounds to be right)

Comment

It all depends on where you go.....around here there are trailer parks that seem to be fricken condos and it looks like paradise the average joe would never be able to afford.

On the flip side, in some areas, there are still trailer parks that scream "Jerry! Jerry!" with multiple dead vehicles on cinder blocks, garbage and toys all over the yard, and people constantly fighting.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Good think I checked in before going to bed.

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was dismissing trailer parks. believe me I'm not. I live in a mobile home/trailer/manufactured home whatever you wanna call this thing (considering how I have it permanently mounted I dont call it mobile anymore) and know a lot of people in trailers/trailer parks I try not to judge based just on that. I wasnt exactly clear (as usual) with my *sigh* in my OP. There are nice parks and then there are parks that are well not so nice and then there are ones that make jerry springer look like masterpiece theator. The one I went to today was somewhere in the middle group. Most of the people are nice hardworking folks just not exactly high on the social class ladder. But they have a definate group of bad apples in the bunch that make up for all the nice ones there.

So it winds up being prudent to keep my tools and truck keys close to me at all times. No sense in being too tempting. I was goign to say the name of the place but since no one would know what I was talking about anyhow I edited thigns out and I guess didnt make it sound as clear as I should have. It wasnt really trailer parks in general as I've had some good jobs in trailer parks recently (one nice older couple invited me and gave me freash homemade lemonade and cookies while she read and signed the paperwork and he and I chatted about the local elections quite amicably)so I know not all trailer parks have bad people in them. Sorry if I came off sounding like I was being insulting.

Boozy: Oh yes it did. One nice thign about being an IC and workign out of my truck is that if people give me too much hassle I can always drive off.

solemnwarning: Yeah furnaces, big honking space heater furnaces contributing to global warming too.

Comment

You have to consider that the definition of a trailer is also referred to as a mobile home. Dimensions are usually 16 feet by 72 feet or larger.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

As mentioned, trailer = mobile home. "Like a cave, that moves. Only ours never goes anywhere."

Quoth Rahmota View Post
                      solemnwarning: Yeah furnaces, big honking space heater furnaces contributing to global warming too.
                      Fun fact: The Chinese have records of warming and cooling trends that speak of the whole "global warming" thing being just a normal cycle. Oh, and they have data that directly contradicts things that Gore tells as fact, which he knows.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        Fun fact: The Chinese have records of warming and cooling trends that speak of the whole "global warming" thing being just a normal cycle. Oh, and they have data that directly contradicts things that Gore tells as fact, which he knows.

^-.-^
                        Seeing as they're the only civilization whose record-keeping goes back, uninterrupted, for about 2,500 years... yeah, I'd believe them. *sigh* Where's a cheeky, politically-incorrect smiley with a mandarin goatee and one of those cone-shaped hats when you need it?
                        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

It'd be interesting to see how the Chinese records compare to the ice cores and tree ring records.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

As always, let's please keep the political discussions for Fratching! and stick to the much-more-fun SC-bashing.
                            Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Working...
                            X