This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP SP3 issues

Did Windows XP SP3 kill off support for a lot of Win95/98/ME application support?

I reinstalled Windows last weekend and went up to SP3 but now a lot of my older games, which worked before. do not work now (like Icewind Dale).

Video drivers are as current as they can get, latest version of DirectX is on the system...

Installer pops up, I click install and Setup.exe is in the task manager but doens't do anything (uses like 3MB of memory and 00% CPU usage).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Have you tried right-clicking the setup.exe and going into the compatability tab and run it as win98 compatability mode?

Failing that, check that you have all the windows updates. (manually do windows update with custom rather than express so you can choose the recommended/optional updates plus any driver updates it picked up on) ^_^

Comment

Found some specific advice for Icewindale.

Perhaps you could poke around on there and see if you can get some help.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/ic...-xp-65250.html

Suggestions were to roll back video card drivers.

I would also ask if you have tried running in compatibility mode? Right click on the exe > properties > compatibility > put a check on run in compatibility mode and then select the appropriate OS from the drop down menu.

Another issue you may run into... Do you have a multi-core processor eg Dual or Quad-core? This might be causing issues since older applications weren't designed with such processors in mind.

I use a program called SetAffinity which runs in the system tray and will let you set it up so that when an application launches it automatically sets the application to only use the specified cores of your processor.

You can download it here:

http://edgemeal.110mb.com/SetAffinity/
      Last edited by Chanlin; 05-07-2009, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X