Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What part of "deceased" are you having trouble getting?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mother got pissed at the cable company for trying to push her to take over my grandfather's service when she called to let them know it needed to be canceled due to his death. I pointed out that there is one legitimate reason for them to at least ask: they don't know who's living with the deceased, and another person in the same household could very well want to take over the utilities/services.

Reading this story, though, I'm wondering exactly how stubborn they were before she got off the phone with them.

Comment

I would be going to the local media about this - if there's a US version of watchdog then let them know too.
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
        My mother got pissed at the cable company for trying to push her to take over my grandfather's service when she called to let them know it needed to be canceled due to his death. .
        A similar thing happened to my grandmother many years ago when my grandfather passed awey. She wasn't trying to get rid of the service, she was trying to downgrade it and they wanted to say that since it was in his name, she couldn't (I guaran damn tee had she tried to upgrade it, that would have been okay). We got it straighted out, but we had to get nasty about it.

Comment

RK I am so sorry for your family's loss.

I think giving the number to the cemetary would be a great idea. I think the look on the call reps face would be priceless. I wonder if anyone here has done that and if so did the rep call back.

However I would have to say one would be so upset that the idea probably wouldn't occur to them until later.
          Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

RK, also want to add my sympathies.

Had a similar problem when my grandfather passed away - My grandmother survived him, but my mom had her POA - grandma is moving in with us (yay) so mom calls the Cable company (anybody else seeing a pattern here?) to cancel service
            "only the acct holder can cancel service"
            "He's deceased, I have POA for my mother..."
            "well do you have Mr. S' POA?"
            "No, his wife would've had that and i have her's..."
            "well we need authorization from Him to cancel His acct...."
            "He's deceased... I'm calling to take care of...."
            round and round we go... finally
            "So, if we just stop paying for the service, you'll just cut it off, right?"
            "Well you can't do that, the acct will go into collections"
            "GOOD LUCK COLLECTING FROM A DEAD MAN!!!!" *click*
            I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

I handled all of the family stuff when my dad died summer before last. I had the death certificate straight from the hospital that day, and I immediately faxed it to every single account that I could find - cable, phones, electricity, the town [taxes and utilities] - *everybody* the certificate and power of attorney and a cover page.

Worked like a charm, my cover letters explained exactly what we wanted done with each account, and who the lawyer of record and executor were, and contact information.

We had some inkling that things were not going well for him for about 2 weeks before he died, and I had been telecommuting from Moms house for the roughly 3 months before he passed, so I had plenty of time to decide how to handle things.

I will mention that hubby and I already have things sorted out, wills and all so when either of us drops dead we have a plan. We have a folder with all the information on what we want done with our bodies, where the wills are, and all our account information.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss.

We must have been getting calls/mail for 3-years after my 92 yo Grandmother died. We finally took to 'forwarding' her mail to the address of the cemetery where her plot was located
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                X