This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
    It sounds like she's fornicating with almonds.
    She isn't, I swear!

(Take a guess at what my last name is )
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Now I really want to see the email exchange! People are crazy!
      It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
      -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

My deal from a thirft store that I say was worth every penny is a nightgown/robe set. Doesn't seem impressive until you get into the details. I payed $2 for it, black velvet robe and gown. The robe looks like one of those smoking jacket-types. It has gold, red, and green silk cuffs, collar, and tie, the gown has matching accents at the straps. The gown is nice enough that if I wore a belt, it'd look like a little black dress.

The price for something similar? At least $50. Yeah the lady who checked me out said I got a really good deal and if she had seen it, she'd have grabbed it first.

Comment

Quoth Lady J'ssem View Post
          My deal from a thirft store that I say was worth every penny is a nightgown/robe set. Doesn't seem impressive until you get into the details. I payed $2 for it, black velvet robe and gown. The robe looks like one of those smoking jacket-types. It has gold, red, and green silk cuffs, collar, and tie, the gown has matching accents at the straps. The gown is nice enough that if I wore a belt, it'd look like a little black dress.

The price for something similar? At least $50. Yeah the lady who checked me out said I got a really good deal and if she had seen it, she'd have grabbed it first.
          Oh, to be skinny enough to find cool vintage clothing at thrift stores

I did however find a Macy's blouse a while back in my size, with the $45 price tag still on it, for a buck And I get jeans for my granddaugher a lot, the ones with lots of pink sparklies that she loves, for a fraction of their value.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
            Oh, to be skinny enough to find cool vintage clothing at thrift stores
            I'm actually a Marilyn Monroe figure and that just made it even better.

Comment

I've bought stuff at the local thrift shop that beats retail prices by a mile. Best find so far was a Land's End down coat. I think I paid about $5 for it. And I love their stuff.

You just never know what kind of goodies you might find.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I got a beautiful wool greatcoat by London Fog for $11 at Goodwill. That was my favourite coat for my last couple years at home and my first year of university. Then the Freshman 15 hit and I had to get a bigger coat. Haven't ever seen that good a coat that cheap since.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post

I hate you. Just so you know.
                  And for those who think that over my 1st season Dr. Who dvd find, boy are you all gonna be standing on your heads now

I found another ad to answer for UK videos, and this time didn't get a Crazy Lady, thank goodness. Ok, they were VHS, not DVD's, but I'm ok with that. Anyway, I bought almost 200 VHS tapes for $50, so about 25¢ each. About a quarter of them are normal movies and will go straight to Goodwill. About another quarter were UK tv shows, nothing to write home about (though 2 were actual travel videos, bought at the location (but for US systems) from two castles that I've been to, so that was cool.

Anyway, I also got just over 100 VHS copies of old Dr. Who episodes. Like I said, for about 25¢ each. I now have 97 of the original 163 episodes/story lines listed on the official BBC Dr. Who episode guide.

I am SO chuffed. DH used to watch some of the Tom Baker ones. I've never seen any of the old ones, and have wanted to ever since I got into the new ones. We have some of all the doctors now. And a couple of odd ones, like one with Rowan Atkinson doing the Doctor (done as a fund raiser for Comic Relief).

I just can't get over finding these, it was so weird cause I usually only check our local Craigs List, and for some reason decided to check the one in the nearest biggest city (about an hour away), I do that only once in a while. The ad had been posted earlier in the day, and already had a taker, but they were a no-show, so I got them

Putting up with CCLL must have given me some good Karma points or something

Please don't hate me

Comment

I've never seen any of the old ones, and have wanted to ever since I got into the new ones.
                    The bad news is you will likely never see most of the old ones. Most of the video got thrown out of the old BBC storage area and destroyed. The ones that still exist were cobbled together from tapes that escaped the cleaning, were still in storage from overseas broadcasts, or were "liberated" earlier by employees.

linky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_...ssing_episodes
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

And for those who think that over my 1st season Dr. Who dvd find, boy are you all gonna be standing on your heads now

I found another ad to answer for UK videos, and this time didn't get a Crazy Lady, thank goodness. Ok, they were VHS, not DVD's, but I'm ok with that. Anyway, I bought almost 200 VHS tapes for $50, so about 25¢ each. About a quarter of them are normal movies and will go straight to Goodwill. About another quarter were UK tv shows, nothing to write home about (though 2 were actual travel videos, bought at the location (but for US systems) from two castles that I've been to, so that was cool.

Anyway, I also got just over 100 VHS copies of old Dr. Who episodes. Like I said, for about 25¢ each. I now have 97 of the original 163 episodes/story lines listed on the official BBC Dr. Who episode guide.

I am SO chuffed. DH used to watch some of the Tom Baker ones. I've never seen any of the old ones, and have wanted to ever since I got into the new ones. We have some of all the doctors now. And a couple of odd ones, like one with Rowan Atkinson doing the Doctor (done as a fund raiser for Comic Relief).

I just can't get over finding these, it was so weird cause I usually only check our local Craigs List, and for some reason decided to check the one in the nearest biggest city (about an hour away), I do that only once in a while. The ad had been posted earlier in the day, and already had a taker, but they were a no-show, so I got them

Putting up with CCLL must have given me some good Karma points or something

Please don't hate me
                      I don't hate you. I'm inspired. I've got several boxes of VHS and DVDs that I want to get rid of. I was going to take them to the used bookstore, but they pay very little . . . I'm not sure I'd get 25c to the dollar.

Was there a list of titles in the lot you bought? Or did you buy them blind?
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        The bad news is you will likely never see most of the old ones. Most of the video got thrown out of the old BBC storage area and destroyed. The ones that still exist were cobbled together from tapes that escaped the cleaning, were still in storage from overseas broadcasts, or were "liberated" earlier by employees.

linky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_...ssing_episodes
                        Although a lot of them were lost, there's still SO many out there, I'll be happy for ages, LOL. BBC website lists 163 (or thereabouts) full storylines (many multiple episodes), and most if not all of those are available. I got 97 of those full storylines (with lots of episodes in some) in the batch buy, so that's a lot of TV watching).

Quoth Panacea View Post
                        I don't hate you. I'm inspired. I've got several boxes of VHS and DVDs that I want to get rid of. I was going to take them to the used bookstore, but they pay very little . . . I'm not sure I'd get 25c to the dollar.

Was there a list of titles in the lot you bought? Or did you buy them blind?
                        Their Craigs List ad menitoned British VHS tapes, and they gave an aproximate amount they had (which was way low, as it turned out), an estimate of how many Dr. Who, how many were "other" British series (with a few listed) and a note that some regular movies were included. From that, we set up an appointment to go by and look, and buy if we wanted (which we did, of course). They were looking to sell them all as a batch, and listed one price takes all.

In this area, you can usually sell British/PBS/etc. on Craigs List eventually, though it won't go for a lot, especially VHS (ebay would get you better prices, some of the British are hard to find, including the Dr. Who (not all of the older Dr. Who vhs have even been released on DVD yet). Regular movies on VHS simply don't sell, even at yard sales, you're better off donating them to charity and taking the deduction. On DVD's, it just depends on what it is, if you can find it in the $5 wally world bin, no one wants it used, but if it's a bit more rare, you can get a few dollars. And you can offer it on Craigs List either in batches or individually.

Comment

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Well, I'll at least see what the bookstore will offer.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                          X