This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been 12 years.

I've been in this apartment for a long time because I hate moving, often didn't have the money to move if I wanted to over the years, and other reasons. I've never missed a payment, even when I didn't know if I had money for groceries. I've been on month-to-month for several years. I did have to sign a new lease one time because they changed management companies. Would have done so several times over.

My mom is moving here from another state, intending to buy a house within 2 months of arriving on my state's ground. She is staying with me. I had already emailed the previous manager to see if longer than 2 weeks was OK because there was an issue a few years ago where guests were acting like they lived here and I heard something about them having to be added to leases and pay extra. I was fine with this idea so I asked if we needed to do so and she said never answered.

I now know why; she's been replaced by a new guy. I emailed him once I realized that and asked the same. He said that yes, it's 2 weeks in a 3-month period as a guest and then they have to be added. So far this makes sense to me. What is weird is that, he says, she can move out when she buys a house, but then he has to vet me to make sure I can carry the rent without her. OK, hold up. I've BEEN doing so for 12 years. I'm not having her here to pay my rent. She just needs a place to be. And they already vetted me before I signed a lease. Not to mention, again, 12 years. Apparently it's some kind of policy. I understand that people get a lease together and qualify together and then one moves out and there's a problem, but that is not the case here. We're not going to be signing a brand new agreement and I don't need her rent. And she's here temporarily. So if she moves out and they decide my credit isn't good enough or my 12 years of payments don't wash, I'm out? Also, we have an email conversation going and he asked today if my mom has income and said he needs a rental history. I assume hers. She's not working anymore due to Covid and because, well, she's moving halfway across the country. Also, she didn't rent; she owned a house. I mean....

Has anyone ever run into a policy like this? Methinks they see this as an opportunity to get rid of me because my rent is just a bit cheaper due to being off lease now. That's irritating. It's a good thing I'm moving with my mom (I will inherit the house), but that's just dismissive. I've been an excellent tenant. I know people say "I'm a valued customer blargle!" but in my case it is true.

Oh, and let me add: he said that things weren't run right before. I think they fired the old manager and I'm ticked. After 12 years it was FINALLY getting better--quieter, drug pushers being kicked out, no more yelling in the courtyard at 2:30 am, slam-furniture-into-walls guy gone. She was fantastic! I hope it's that she quit, actually. I don't think I want to rent from this company anymore anyway.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 08-05-2020, 05:18 AM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Can't say I blame you in the slightest. It does sound to me like they're trying to establish a paper trail to get rid of less-profitable renters.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The re-vetting is a very common practice. Any time someone leaves the lease, the auditors are going to want to see the verification that the remaining tenants can pay the rent. You can't have exceptions all over the place.

Look at it this way. How can they be certain that this new tenant is not there to help pay the rent? They can't trust everything that they are told.

Personally, I would do whatever I could to keep your Mom off the lease. Unfortunately, I am not seeing many options.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

If she is only going to be there for two months I'm sure you can manage a bureaurcratic entanglement that will last that long.

It may be that when they re-vet you after she moves out they will insist on a new lease at the higher rent.

And there are laws all over the place against evicting people during the Covid panic.

So get the government involved.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          Look at it this way. How can they be certain that this new tenant is not there to help pay the rent?
          Yeah, I can see how that would be the case sometimes. Can't pay rent? Move someone in. I didn't think of that. I'm moving with Mom so they won't have to do any of the vetting. I am concerned that I'm going to pay to have the carpet cleaned as required by lease, only to have them replace it. Things like that are stressors. So our goal is to find a house and move by Nov. If my part-time job doesn't end at the end of this month, I'll quit so I have weekends free to get rid of stuff and do some deep cleaning. I forsee several trips to the dump and Goodwill, if they're taking anything.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
          X