X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
    ... wanted some extra RAM instead...
    Gonna be surprised when it gets all wooly and baa'd!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

You almost* can't go wrong with more RAM. A full rack of matched sticks tends to make things run just a little better.

*unless you do strange things with mismatching capacities, types, speeds...

Comment

No worries about "thread necro." If the system hasn't auto-locked the thread, it's fair game

And Buzzard is correct on the RAM. If you have RAM sticks with two different speeds, all of your RAM will effectively be throttled down to the lower of the two speeds.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          No worries about "thread necro." If the system hasn't auto-locked the thread, it's fair game

And Buzzard is correct on the RAM. If you have RAM sticks with two different speeds, all of your RAM will effectively be throttled down to the lower of the two speeds.
          Got it! Actually Lil'Zel did get some extra RAMs from Santa - a 8 GB stick exactly same kind as the RAMS originally installed (Samsung 2066 Mhz as far as I recall). So we spent most of our Xmas Eve helping him unscrewing the PC case so it could be installed right away
          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Just out of curiosity (I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner) -- Does your system require RAM to be installed in pairs, or will it accept an odd number of RAM "sticks?" It sounds like you purchased one stick. If the system refuses to boot into Windows with the new stick installed, that's why.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Just out of curiosity (I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner) -- Does your system require RAM to be installed in pairs, or will it accept an odd number of RAM "sticks?" It sounds like you purchased one stick. If the system refuses to boot into Windows with the new stick installed, that's why.
              Dunno - I just saw that there were 2 RAM slots of which one was already "occupied", checked the specs and ordered a stick - and the pc booted fine after we made sure the new stick "clicked" correctly in the slot. (Yes, we did have to de- and re-assemble the computer twice )
              A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Comment

Cool. If the system was working just fine with only one slot occupied, then one stick at a time should work. Systems that require RAM to be inserted in pairs usually have color-coding (e.g. one pair of black slots and one pair of blue slots). You should be good to go ^__^

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Cool. If the system was working just fine with only one slot occupied, then one stick at a time should work. Systems that require RAM to be inserted in pairs usually have color-coding (e.g. one pair of black slots and one pair of blue slots). You should be good to go ^__^
                  Yeah, until Lil'Zel starts bitching about upgrading from 16 GB to 64 GB. He's already upset seeing that the inside of his PC didn't match the flashy and flourescent quadruple-fanned special builds he happened to do a Google Image search on

Comment

Ask Lil'Zel which is more interesting to watch: the inside of a computer case, or the computer monitor where the games are running?
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

LOL!!! But actually,I have to say that his PC's hardware is WAY more compressed than the one on my ancient office pc. So I understand his confusion while I at the same time say "look at it this way, then you've got a better overview of which cable goes where"

Comment

Oof. I remember the old ribbons of spaghetti in the older machines. IDE drive ribbons, and the un-bundled power leads... everywhere.

Comment

The horror...THE HORROR!

Comment

Working...
                          X