Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welp...mom's getting married...again...

This is #5 for her. It came as a complete surprise to me.

I found out just this weekend. My sister emailed me, and told me. I've never met this guy, and I didn't even know my mother was dating.

My sister said there's an invitation on the way. My mother is apparently having this wedding at her own house. That's 2 hours away for us, and we've decided that due to the pandemic we're not going.

So we're going to RSVP no, once we get the invitation, and then we (my wife and I) anticipate the stuff hitting the fan at some point.

But we figure it's safer if we don't go.

Not really advice...just more of an opening this thing up for any comments anyone may have kind of thing.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

She has a ways to go. Mickey Rooney was married eight times.

Send her our best wishes.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
      She has a ways to go. Mickey Rooney was married eight times.

Send her our best wishes.
      I'll second this.

I had a former coworker who was planning a wedding when COVID stamped all over it. I was originally invited, but have heard nothing since then. For all I know she's been married in a ceremony with only their closest friends and family members attending ... and I can't see any reason to be upset about that. I'm sorry to hear your mom will apparently think a global pandemic is insufficient reason for you not to attend the wedding that you only now just heard she's having ...

Can you phrase it so as to sound noble? "Oh, we've both just developed this awful cough and fever, and we're going for COVID tests, but without the test results it would just be a terrible idea for us to come ..."
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

At this point, I have no idea who the guy is, and I know nothing about him. I'm very indifferent about him, as long as he's not a felon like #4 was.

Anyway, with the pandemic going on, we're going to decline via RSVP. If I get any push-back on it, I'm going to tell her that she knows I have an underlying medical condition, and that it's safer if my family doesn't go.

Honestly, this is #5 for her. She could have just sent me an email or called me and said "BTW, I'm getting married to So-and-So. I met him at (blah blah blah) and such...and we're going to the courthouse to sign the papers on X date. Just wanted to let you know..."

Comment

I was wondering if that was you who'd had problems with a parent's questionable taste in new partners. Sorry to hear it, hope she learned at least something from the last trainwreck.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Since this is her 5th, I guess the the next one fills the card and should be free...

Seriously tho.

Even without the pandemic, if you don't have enough communication between you and your mom to know she was seeing someone, let alone getting married, before your sister sent you the email, I would question the need to go at all.
            Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
              Since this is her 5th, I guess the the next one fills the card and should be free...

Seriously tho.

Even without the pandemic, if you don't have enough communication between you and your mom to know she was seeing someone, let alone getting married, before your sister sent you the email, I would question the need to go at all.
              I'm not really surprised that my sister informed me via email before I got the invitation in regular mail. My sister kinda likes being a "topper".

That said, my sister is mom's "favorite" right now, and I'm fine with that. Heck, apparently, a cousin of mine even knew. I think I was probably thelast one to know.

Mom sometimes has this bad habit of being a travel agent for guilt trips.

My wife and I said that if it weren't in the middle of the pandemic, we'd go just for the amusement value.

We're going to send a card, but what kind of card do you send to someone who's getting married for the fifth time?
              Last edited by mjr; 10-19-2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                ... what kind of card do you send to someone who's getting married for the fifth time?
                Taped to a refreshment of that quantity?
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My mother (born 100 years ago I might add, and long dead now) married and divorced 5 times before I was even BORN! And no she was NOT married to my father, I never even met him.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post

Seriously tho.

I'd be horribly tempted to ask if the words "till death do us part" are still going to in the ceremony but ... it sounds like you and your mother don't have much of a relationship to start with and that would certainly only make it worse ...
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                      We're going to send a card, but what kind of card do you send to someone who's getting married for the fifth time?
                      Make it a punch card with five of the boxes already punched.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        AS my old math teacher would say: There's nothing like a good fifth.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                          AS my old math teacher would say: There's nothing like a good fifth.
                          Funny... that's what my lawyer said...
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Fifth? That's pretty deep in "the only common denominator here is you" territory. I take it her taste in men is questionable at best?

I don't even have one. I just own a cat.

Comment

I wish the best for your mom, and hope she's found someone good for her.
                              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Working...
                              X