This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dub thee; THUNDERC****

I'm so impressed that I handled this one quite well, but still miffed that the incident got under my skin all day. I'm ringing register when this lady on a motorized cart comes to my line and says, "Hi. I need you to ring me up a box that's in lawn and garden."

I don't know where she was going with this. With all of the products in our hardware store, it's impossible for me to memorize everything.

I say, "A box? Do you know the item number or UPC code?"
    TC: "No. You'll have to call them.."

(Okay, you have something, but you have no description, no item number or UPC code and you want me to call them? You know how long that will take?)

So I take initiative and say, "You know what? Maybe they put an order in your name in the system. What's your phone number so I can look it up?"
    TC: "They didn't put it in the system."
    Me: "Okay, well in order to complete the sale I need an item number or UPC code, or something off of it to ring it up.."
    TC: "You know what? I'll just go to someone/somewhere else and--"
    Me: "Okay... yeah, that's probably a good idea..."
    TC: (driving away on the cart) "You're useless..."
    Me: Um, thank you? (starting to raise my voice so she can hear me as she's driving away) But I'm also not a mind reader!!!"
    TC: (yelling) "YOU (unintelligible) SMART SHIT!!"

I just blew her off. I had enough abuse from working retail before and I wasn't going to sit down and take it. The next guy in line was a regular who comes in at least 5 times a day to buy stuff, knows the managers well, and even he couldn't believe what just happened. He was just startled, but laughing at it too. He said though that I didn't do anything wrong, and that he would back me up if managers approached me about it. Since Saturdays are usually the busiest of the week, all but one of the managers were there, and not one came to talk to me about it. There were even slow periods after that, so they had time to approach me if need be.

A few Sundays prior to this, I had a lady get impatient with me at the checkouts while waiting for a price check from the customer ahead of her. She asked if I could suspend the order, but previous attempts taught me that I can't always bring the previous order back up if I try to. I advised her that other registers were open, she said they had people in line, and I said, "well yeah, we're busy so they're all going to have lines". She didn't like that answer, called me an asshole under her breath, but I just blew her off. Later in the day (this is still two Sundays prior) I asked one of the asst managers on how to deal with it, explained the situation, and also explained how I wasnt always able to bring back up a suspended order. He told me that she did go to him and that he would talk to me about it. I told the asst manager that I wasn't ignorant about it, that i was aware that i couldn't suspend the order nor that I knew I got into it with the lady, but he basically took my side by saying that there's only so much we can do to keep the line going. No warnings. No write-ups.

Now back to today. I had a mother/daughter come in with an order for all this tile and carpeting. Their big order is on a series of papers in a portfolio. the bar code wouldn't scan, and typing in their phone number didn't work either. Turns out 10 minutes later that we discovered a mistake where 12 ft of carpeting was put down instead of 15 ft, and this offset the pricing. While they were waiting I joked to her and the guy beside me (I was training a new girl and she was also waiting long for a price), that any customer could probably play a few rounds of Angry Birds or Candy Crush to pass the time. Some laughed, but the mother/daughter didn't, and I tend to use humor a lot to break up the stress. The mother/daughter left after a while, then came back in and got in another line. They had me hold some light bulbs they got at the last minute. I looked over and saw they had them, but played dumb and walked over to enure they had them. The daughter was more apologetic then, even said "Thanks" (then my first name). So, I knew, from her using my first name, that things were less tense. Even though she wasn't as patient as I was hoping, I told her that I appreciated her patience compared to TC (didn't give her the story), and how rude she was with me, and the daughter appreciated that too.

Now, if I ever see TC again, I'm just not going to wait on her and throw her words back at her, that I was a smart shit and useless. If she still gets a manager, that's time she has to waste to flag down a manager and have a manager force me to ring her up again. Perhaps I'll just have a head cashier do it instead...
Working...
X