Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I Totally Have Control Over That.

I don't usually have grouchy or rude people go through my line (lucky me! ), but this time I've managed to get a couple. They're mild, but worth telling.

Bad Timing on Your Part, Bud

On this day, our manager up front was G, who is named such because she's usually the grocery manager. She doesn't like working registers much, but she does her job good for someone who doesn't like it.

Up comes a man with two individually wrapped icecream treats. I instantly realize that they're supposed to be in a box, since they have no label, UPC, or general mark of purchase. So I put on my 'politely confused', face and tell him the bad news. Now this has been a while, so I'm not sure if I spoke first, or if he did, but the words are all the same.

Me: I'm sorry, this icecream is supposed to be in a box, not individually sold.

Man: I know! But someone took the rest out of the box and I was wondering if I could just buy them like this.

Me: (Yeah right, buddy. Not gonna happen.) That's unfortunate, but I can't do that. Would you like me to get a manager to see what we can do about this?

Man: Yes, please.

(G comes up after I call for assistance, and after seeing the guy, gives me a funny look)

G: What can I help you with?

Me: Someone apparently opened up a couple boxes of icecream and took some, and he wants to buy what's left. *points to the two treats*

G: Sorry, we can't do that. Just throw them away.

This is where I get confused. Usually we just put the items in a bag as 'evidence', but I guess since it's icecream it makes more sense since it would just melt. She's also more abrupt than normal. It doesn't bother me, but does get me curious. I find out why later.

Me: Are you sure we don't keep them for evidence or anything like that?

G: Nope, just toss it. And if you want individual icecream, they sell them at the snack bar. (to her credit she doesn't yell at me for asking a stupid question)

Man: *dramatically and somewhat jokingly* Okay! I did it! Arrest me!

Me: Sorry about that, sir, it's just that I don't know what's running through Corporate's head sometimes, so I just like to make sure and double check. I didn't say you did it.

So he leaves to buy an icecream from the snack bar, and G tells me that he opened the boxes and took out the icecream on his own. She could tell because she had to go back to the backroom near the freezer section and he had asked if there were any individual packs. Back luck on his part, because we wouldn't have known it was him if she wasn't back there!

There's Always That One Kid

Now I know that some kids are tired, grouchy, and just plain don't want to be there, and as a cashier I expect that. I also see plenty of sleeping, and happily awake children who behave perfectly fine. This kid doesn't misbehave, but BOY is he annoying. You see, from what I have gathered, his mother didn't teach him about indoor voices and when to use them. She also didn't teach him to not beg and plead for candy. Thing is, I'm USED to kids doing that. But his case, just...ugh. I'll give you a snippet.

"MAH-MUH, WE'RE AT LANE NUMBER FIVE"

"Uh-huh, sweety..."

"MAH-MUH, I WANT CANDY" *points to gum*

"No, you're not getting gum. You can get candy."

"MAH-MUH, I WANT GUM. MAH-MUH."

And whenever he screeched 'MAH-MUH', it was so high-pitched that I had to grate my teeth and cringe. He'd 'call' to his mother over everything, all with his loud voice and lack of manners. And mom would mostly just ignore him... Wonder why he shouts, huh? She comes in pretty often, and once was checking out when a manager was in my line buying something. The look of 'wtf am I hearing?' on her face was priceless. It made me feel better about dealing with it.

Sir, We're Not the Manners Police

This one surprised me, but I have no doubt that it was an exaggeration. An older couple came through my line and after my general 'How are you doing?', mumbled back a threat I haven't heard in a while.

Man: If you guys keep up with what you're doing, we're not going to shop here again. We had a lady cut in front of us, and give my wife a nasty look! You should have more security!

Oooh, they 'cut in front of you'? I wasn't aware that we had so LITTLE room in our store aisles! We're not talking about someone cutting in line ahead of them to the register (which I can prevent), but IN STORE, as in, walking around. And I'm pretty sure we don't control what other people do. Besides, what are you going to do if you 'quit' our store? Go to Malwart? The shoppers there are SO much nicer! Regardless, damage control...

Me: I'm sorry about that! We only have one Security Officer, and usually he's only here during the weekends. Would you like to speak to a manager about this?

Man: No! They're just going to tell us that they can't do anything! Useless! I'm going to contact *Home State Store* and have your manager see the complaint, THEN things will change! If not, I'm not coming back here again!

Me: (If you don't want to accept my help, then FINE) Sorry about that...I hope you have a great day.

After that, he just sorta left with his wife after paying. I've debated telling my managers, but they'd tell me that they're just a bunch of nutcases who expect us to be everywhere at once. My managers all (thankfully) have a bunch of common sense, and know that we're not here to be The Politeness Police, so maybe, just maybe, I'll tell one of them if I meet up with them. Just for the lulz.

Nice Try, Squirt

Had two kids come through my line. One holds a can of cat food up to me.

"Do you know if this would taste good with Mountain Dew?"

I tried to reply, but the 'prank' was so lame that I couldn't even play along! I just told them that while I'm a cat enthusiast, *I* don't even like cats that much! His friend told him to stop while he was ahead.
    My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Quoth Amusement Gal View Post
    Nice Try, Squirt

Had two kids come through my line. One holds a can of cat food up to me.

"Do you know if this would taste good with Mountain Dew?"

I tried to reply, but the 'prank' was so lame that I couldn't even play along! I just told them that while I'm a cat enthusiast, *I* don't even like cats that much! His friend told him to stop while he was ahead.
    "I don't know. Why don't you buy it and try them together and let me know how that works out?" I don't know if I'd have been able to resist giving the kid that answer.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

That reminds me of an exchange I had with an old fuddy duddy when I used to work at Awful Mart. He went on a tirade how there needs to be someone working in EVERY AISLE in EVERY DEPARTMENT and EVERY REGISTER needs to be open ALL THE TIME!. I tried explaining to him that while I agree that sounds like a fabulous idea, it's just not feasible. And when he wouldn't listen to me I finally said "Sir, we can do as you request but I don't want to hear you complain when our prices skyrocket to make up for all that extra payroll' He finally shut up

Comment

Quoth Amusement Gal View Post
        There's Always That One Kid
        I'm reminded of this one kid that I dealt with once at the wholesale club.

Kid had discovered that saying "WHOA WHOA WHOA!" in a loud voice to anything someone said to him really annoyed his parents. So, naturally, he was doing it constantly, much to his parents' exasperation.

They're coming up through my line for checkout.

Kid: "WHOA WHOA WHOA!"
        Mother: "[Kid], use your indoor voice, please."
        Mother: "[Kid], quiet down."
        Father: "[Kid], be quiet!"
        J2K: (to Kid) "Hi!"
        Kid: (normal tone of voice) "Hi!"

Everyone burst out laughing, and the parents looked relieved that I'd finally stopped the broken record.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
          "I don't know. Why don't you buy it and try them together and let me know how that works out?" I don't know if I'd have been able to resist giving the kid that answer.
          Haha, I wish I could have thought of that. But he was so nervous that he wrecked his own prank, lawl.

Quoth drjonah View Post
          That reminds me of an exchange I had with an old fuddy duddy when I used to work at Awful Mart. He went on a tirade how there needs to be someone working in EVERY AISLE in EVERY DEPARTMENT and EVERY REGISTER needs to be open ALL THE TIME!. I tried explaining to him that while I agree that sounds like a fabulous idea, it's just not feasible. And when he wouldn't listen to me I finally said "Sir, we can do as you request but I don't want to hear you complain when our prices skyrocket to make up for all that extra payroll' He finally shut up
          I was mostly just hoping the man in my story would go to Malwart from now on. He wants rude people out of the store, so why not follow that example, eh?

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
          I'm reminded of this one kid that I dealt with once at the wholesale club.

Kid had discovered that saying "WHOA WHOA WHOA!" in a loud voice to anything someone said to him really annoyed his parents. So, naturally, he was doing it constantly, much to his parents' exasperation.
          Well at least in your story, the parents CARED! Seriously, every time she's there, wandering the aisles or in the checkout lane, he just keeps screeching 'MAH-MUH'. I've seen people swerve to avoid them, it's that bad. I don't bother talking to the kids if they're annoying, though. Mostly 'cause I was too busy cringing from his calls for attention.
          My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            Mother: "[Kid], use your indoor voice, please."
            <snip>
            I hate parents who simply repeat "Be quiet!" or "Shut up!" in an increasingly loud voice when their kids start acting up, instead of getting down on their level and trying to reason with them. You treat your kids like shit, they'll just return the favor.
            Last edited by EricKei; 05-08-2014, 08:14 PM. Reason: EQ

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
              I hate parents who simply repeat "Be quiet!" or "Shut up!" in an increasingly loud voice when their kids start acting up, instead of getting down on their level and trying to reason with them. You treat your kids like shit, they'll just return the favor.
              I didn't really make it clear, but these parents weren't yelling or treating Kid like shit. They were getting down on his level, being reasonable, and clearly getting exasperated with Kid's constant "WHOA WHOA WHOA!"-ing. They were trying to actually parent, and it wasn't working at this time.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                Probably wise not to. If they do it and get sick...
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                  And that's probably the kind of answer I'd give to someone who asked such a question.

There again, I'm now wondering if this is a direct descendant of Vinegar Boy . . .
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Dafuq? Aisles are not lines. There is no 'cutting' in aisles because that would require there be a line, and there are no lines in aisles.

Crazy old coot.
                    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Cut them off in the aisle, huh? So was there a traffic light and lines painted on the floor, and stop signs, etc? No? No complaint, go away, old coot. Some people will complain about anything. I'm sure it was a bit annoying, but I doubt it was the worst thing that every happened to him.

As for the kid - argh. I can't take extremely noisy kids. There was this one kid in the grocery story once who was screeching in a voice high enough to cut glass. And his idiot parents were encouraging him. It literally gave me a headache. Some people.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Nothing like sitting up in the break room and hearing some Junior Air Raid Siren wailing down on the salesfloor to remind you how shoddily constructed the swamp is.

Quoth drjonah View Post
                        At my store, the people who complain about lack of staff are the same people who will do their shopping a day or two before a big sale starts, then sit in the parking lot the day the sale starts waiting for us to open so they can dash in and do a price adjustment.

It's just so cute how they think that doesn't count against our sales. You're returning the item you bought for thirty bucks a couple days ago and repurchasing it for twenty today. That's a net loss of ten dollars. You get enough people doing that and it can be the difference between earning a little bit of extra payroll and having to cut hours at the end of the month.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Whenever I go to the supermarket, there are people in the aisles comparing peanut butter, picking up a bunch of products at once, or simply moving very slowly. I've passed these people to go through the aisle at my own pace. I never realized what I was doing was so rude and should have stood there waiting for them to finish!
                          Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                          Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                          Fiancee: What?!
                          Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                            Dafuq? Aisles are not lines. There is no 'cutting' in aisles because that would require there be a line, and there are no lines in aisles.

Crazy old coot.
                            By 'cut in front' I think he meant something similar to cutting someone off on the road. But it's still BS.

Comment

Working...
                            X