This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure, let me get fired for you

I'm installing keyboard trays in an office. I could tell just by looking at this woman that she was going to be a treat and she didn't disappoint. I stopped in front of her office and saw she was on the phone. It was clear that this was a casual conversation with her daughter, but still I didn't want to interupt so after giving it a second, I began to move on. I'm stopped by a rude sighing of "excuse me... you may as well come in now" and she cuts off her conversation saying that someone just came into her office and has to do some work right now.

We're off to a splendid start, but I put on my cheerful face and let her know what I'm there for. One thing about this office, they have strict regulations about where keyboard trays can go that I am 100% obliged to adhere to. If management would advise persons ordering keyboard trays of these regulations, it would save me a tremendous headache, but that's another rant. One such regulation is that the trays can never be installed on the 90 degree corner joint of the worksurfaces. So naturally this is where the woman wants it installed. I keep my cheerful face on and let her know that this is not allowed which prompts a reply of "really!?!" I do my best to keep the cheerful face going and explain the situation to her, even offering to show he the documentation clearly illustrating this regulation. With a roll of her eyes, she says "so you won't put it on the corner even though that's where I want it?!!" I apologetically tell her no, which gets me a "fine, just put it where you want then."

I assumed she didn't mean what she said, so I didn't ram it up her ass, instead opting to go for the standard, approved installation. It took me less than five minutes but in her little world, it was hours that took her away from the most important work on the planet. But I'm done, I'm free... or so I thought. She stops me as I'm trying to escape:

SC: Excuse me! Aren't you going to put the keyboard and the mouse on the tray?
    Me: Oh, I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to touch any of the computer equipment.
    SC: So you expect me to unplug them and run the wires through?
    Me: Well, you can contact you IT department if it's a problem for you, but as I said, I'm not allowed to do that kind of work
    SC: So you're not going to do it?
    Me: I'm sorry, I can't, I am not allowed to do that kind of work
    SC: Hmmmffff!
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Boy, you do get assigned the real friendly types...

Comment

Wow, she sounds "special" (in her own mind). The only think I sympathize with is the wires. Where I work, I.T. HAS to do that part, I'm not allowed to do it - sort of the reverse of your situation - and when they installed a new CPU they ran the wires down the front of the desk instead of over the back. Annoying, but not the end of the world.
      Last edited by MoonCat; 05-14-2014, 07:58 PM.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

In a situation like that, I'd probably wait for the installer to finish and leave, then get out my screwdriver and move the tray to where I wanted it.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
          Boy, you do get assigned the real friendly types...
          Most are okay, I just get some real winners sometimes.

Quoth wolfie View Post
          In a situation like that, I'd probably wait for the installer to finish and leave, then get out my screwdriver and move the tray to where I wanted it.
          That's happened on multiple occasions, and I was asked about it the first couple of times. The second time I was asked I only responded with: "do you think I'm an idiot and was the workorder signed 'completed properly'??? Then don't ask again." I've never been asked again.

It would really be no big deal for me to run the wires for her, but I'm not allowed to. It's unlikely that unplugging the keyboard and mouse would cause a problem, but if data were lost and/or something got damaged, I'd be in deep shit. To say nothing of the strict timeline that I've got to answer to whenever I go over the (under) estimated time to do the job.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Personally I believe work order forms should include an area / box that says "Customer requested unauthorized services which were refused". That would be a useful CYA.
            "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Working...
            X