This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn when to call the police!

These two stories were told to me by a co-worker and a manager.

First one happened last weekend. I was working during the day on a cash register (which doesn’t happen very often. I normally close at SCO). Earlier in the morning a customer comes in and hands an iPhone to a bagger, saying he found it in the parking lot. The bagger hands the phone to the guy working the SCO. Co-worker at SCO does some digging around in the phone to try and figure out who it belongs to, finally figures it out and calls the lady. She comes in and gets the phone, and then proceeds to call the police. Why? Who knows? Her phone had apparently been completely wiped out and I guess she thought that the police could do something about it. Or maybe she blamed the SCO co-worker or wanted to find out who wiped her phone. Later that day, the police are in the store because two teenagers had been in Wally World across the interstate, I think doing some shoplifting, and for some reason speculated that they may have been heading to our store.

Second story was relayed to me by my manager. I opened Saturday morning and spent the entire morning working SCO. Around 8ish, I find myself removing change from one of the machines because it was in places it shouldn’t have been and wasn’t giving people change. My manager came over to help for a few minutes before he was called away to speak to a customer. Later I asked him what happened and he said the customer had left $50 in one of the SCO machines the night before and I guess wanted his money. When people leave money, sometimes the next customer is nice and gives it to me but a lot of times, people just take it for themselves and there’s nothing we can do about it. People leaving money seems to happen a lot, which I never understood. They JUST asked for that money off their debit cards then they go and leave it at the machine. My manager and I were talking about this and he told me this story of a lady who had done this. She had come in one morning and left some money in a SCO register. Someone had taken her money and she came back to try to get it. She threw a fit because the store wouldn't give her the money (wasn’t our fault she left her money and someone else took it). She then called the police and they came to the store and basically told her she was wasting their time. She proceeded to work and then came back by after work, maybe hoping that since it there were probably different people working, she would get a different result (getting money from the store). They told her the same thing and wouldn't give her any money. She threw another fit and called the police AGAIN, who told her AGAIN to quit wasting their time.

*side note* Closed at SCO. Our SCO has 6 machines, but for maybe an hour, only 3 of them were working AND we were busy. The customers weren’t bad, but it was just a generally sucky situation.

I've had a problem with the SCOs at Wal-Mart getting some of the bills stuck in the dispenser coming out. One of the associates told me to keep reaching upward with my fingers/fingernails, if I didn't get all of my change back (I usually take $20 or $40 back when I grocery shop, my bank doesn't have any ATMs that aren't in the bank themselves and I get charged for any, any ATM, even the ones that say no fees).
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
      I've had a problem with the SCOs at Wal-Mart getting some of the bills stuck in the dispenser coming out. One of the associates told me to keep reaching upward with my fingers/fingernails, if I didn't get all of my change back (I usually take $20 or $40 back when I grocery shop, my bank doesn't have any ATMs that aren't in the bank themselves and I get charged for any, any ATM, even the ones that say no fees).
      In your case that really does suck, and I have seen that happen a handful of times. In that case, customers would usually come up to me right after it happened and tell me. A lot of times though, the machines will just tell us if a dispenser isn't working and the customers would have to come to me to get their change (then I proceed to figure out how to fix it). More often than not though, we've had customers that would get cash back, it would come out but they'd just forget to grab it and walk off and the next person to see it would take it (or if they were decent customers, hand it over to me).

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
        I get charged for any, any ATM, even the ones that say no fees.
        Unfortunately, "no fees" generally means that the bank that OWNS that ATM won't charge you. Your bank is likely charging you its own, separate fee for the heinous crime of using an ATM that isn't theirs >_< If you're getting charged by both banks at a "no fee" ATM, yeah, something's wrong.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
        X