This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
    a note from your parents can't even get you excused from school anymore (at least around here). You need a Doctor's note.
    I had it worse back at my (very straight-laced, over-"disciplined") high school back in the early 90's. They had a policy that required that people who were absent for illness or other medical reasons have a doctor's note, filed with the office, immediately upon returning to school. Not TOO unreasonable, but this even applied if it was a minor cold or something else where you would not have gone to the doctor anyway. A parent's note did not suffice -- and failure to have it when you walked into the door meant an automatic PH (Penance Hall/uber-detention). It gets better -- if you were gone for three days or more, they expected such a note in advance of your absence...
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth justunhappy View Post
      Even if it is "legit" (as in, actually signed by parents), did he really think they could give permission for him to break the law?
      How brain-damaged do you have to be to honestly think this is going to work? What's next, a 8-year old with a note giving him permission to buy cigarettes for mommy and daddy?

I would have called the cops and let him explain to them the "logic" of this situation, somehow I don't think they'd buy it either...

Comment

From what I've seen here, iots (what else would you call idiots with no ID - but plenty of ego?) are the bane of anyone selling age-restricted goods.

Quoth EricKei View Post
        They had a policy that required that people who were absent for illness or other medical reasons have a doctor's note, filed with the office, immediately upon returning to school. It gets better -- if you were gone for three days or more, they expected such a note in advance of your absence...
        WTF? "Please excuse Johnny's absence from school. Tomorrow he will come down with acute appendicitis, and will need to remain in hospital for a week. Signed, Dr. Premonition".
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

wolfie -- yeah, pretty much. They were a bit hardcore on what they theoretically considered to be discipline (Jesuits), even on preposterous things like this. The net result is that they assume we are lying unless we can prove otherwise *immediately* (we were all young teens once. We were all saints and would never ever even consider deceiving them, right..? Right?). Note that if someone was out sick for a day, forgot to turn in their note first thing, and turned it in on the break between Homeroom and first period...BAM! PH-detention.

To be fair, tho, after that school spent years failing to teach me quote-unquote "discipline", college/university was a cakewalk. Tough place, academically. This was a good thing.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
          X