This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How mean can you get?

Most of this story happened between a co-worker and an SC. If we had been aware of what was going on earlier, we would have stepped in and stopped it. What makes this story extra infuriating is that the CW involved is probably the nicest human being on the planet. Everyone in the pub loves him and wants to be his best friend.

SC walked up to the bar. CW was on his own and went to serve him.

CW: Hi there pal. What can I get you?
    SC: Pal? Pal? I am not your pal. You don’t get to address me in that manner.
    CW: Oh...I’m sorry.
    SC: That is so rude. What does pal mean in your special little language? You do not walk up to me and say “Hi there PAL.” I am not your pal.
    CW: *shocked and stuttering a little bit*
    SC: When I walk up to this bar, you address me as Sir, and you say “How may I serve you today?” Do you understand me?

CW is stood with a look of utter shock on his face. Like I said before, CW is unbelievably nice, but he also has a tendency to blame himself when things like this happen. CW believed he must have done something wrong to upset this horrible man.

CW: I’m sorry sir.
    SC: Good. I want to order some meals and drinks. Do you think you can manage that without being impolite?

The SC orders his meals without making any further nasty comments. Once his order is complete

SC: Well that took you long enough. Well, I shouldn’t be surprised. You look as though you spend most of your time staring into a mirror anyway. How long did it take you to get ready for work?

CW ignores and makes drinks.

SC: I can quite clearly see you spent far too long on your hair, because you clearly forgot to purchase a belt. Or can’t you afford one?

The names have been altered to protect CW. CW finally presented the drinks and handed SC his receipt. A different co-worker appeared at the end of the bar.

CW2: *to co-worker* Hey Dan, I’m just heading to the cellar. Is that OK?
    CW: Yeah that’s fine.
    SC: Your name is Sam??
    CW: No it’s...
    SC: The receipt says your name is Dan, but she just called you Sam. So you’re a liar as well?? Changing your name to protect yourself in case I make a complaint??
    CW: She didn’t say Sam.
    SC: Shut your mouth. You’ll be lucky to still have a job when I’m through with you PAL.

He walked away from the bar. CW walked into the kitchen and was very upset. He told us everything that happened. We were outraged.

CW: I must have done something wrong.
    Me: You clearly did nothing wrong.
    CW: But what if he asks to see the manager?
    Me: Seriously, don’t worry. Everyone in this place knows you and knows you are not like that. He’s quite clearly just an arsehole. Don’t worry.
    CW: This is going to ruin my chances of getting a promotion.
    Me: Stop worrying. If he comes back, you get me or CW2. We’ll serve him, take his food out and you don’t have to have anything else to do with him.

Even though I had absolutely no authority to do so, I sent CW on his break. I was livid. Being mean to CW is like being mean to a puppy. I got the honour of taking his food out.

Me: I’ve got *burger meal*?
    SC: Well, that’s no way to address a customer! You should say “Good day sir, I’ve got-“
    Me: Save it.

I slammed the meal down on the table and walked away. He could complain about me all he wanted. I didn’t give a shit. I was going to give him something to complain about to take the heat off CW.

About ten minutes later, I was stood at the bar talking to CW and CW2. We were still trying to reassure CW that he had done nothing wrong. He was seriously upset about it. He’s been working damn hard to try and impress the managers. Two managers have just left the pub in the past few weeks, so a couple of positions have opened up. He’s hoping he will be picked. He had now absolutely convinced himself that he had ruined everything. I saw the SC approaching the bar.

Me: CW, can you go to the cellar and bring up a couple of crates for me?

CW hadn’t noticed the SC approaching, so he kindly went.

SC: *to CW2* Just to make you aware, as you are the only person in this building who hasn’t been unspeakably rude to me, I am going to be writing a severe letter of complaint regarding *points* him and Sam.
    CW2: Sam?
    SC: Yes. What are your names?
    Me: Well you’re not getting my name.
    SC: Give me your name.
    Me: No.
    SC: Well it doesn’t matter because I’ve got a description of you anyway. Good luck when your manager reads this.

Two days later, and the letter arrived.

To whom it may concern.

I recently visited your establishment and was served by your barman Sam, a five foot tall well groomed boy. I have to say I was shocked at how common and impolite the service was. After making suggestions on how he might improve relations between customers and himself, I was met with a blank face and indifference throughout the rest of the order. I also strongly suggest that Sam buys a belt, as I caught a glimpse of the elastic around his boxer shorts. Sam has also been impersonating someone else, as the name on the receipt differed from what his friends addressed him as.

I was further dismayed when the waiter came over and presented me with my food. After again making a polite suggestion, I was shocked when he told me to “Shove it” I ate my meal feeling very hurt that I had just been attacked without provocation.

After finishing my mediocre meal, I approached the bar and asked for the young man’s name, which he refused to give. I can only describe him at four foot tall with brown hair and was not wearing glasses.

I trust that someone in this establishment will take action against these horrible human beings, as they quite clearly should not be allowed to have contact with the general public.

Yours

SC.

Oh my. Where to begin. Well for starters, this guy cannot describe people. Both CW and I are six foot tall, not five or four foot! I also didn’t tell him to “Shove it” I also love the way he pretends to be all sweet and innocent.

Boss thought it was hilarious and pinned it to the staff notice board with a post-it that said LOL on it.
    Last edited by customersruinmylife; 04-30-2012, 12:04 PM.

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
    Boss thought it was hilarious and pinned it to the staff notice board with a post-it that said LOL on it.
    Sounds like you have an awesome boss
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

a. You are awesome for backing up your CW & dealing with the SC. You seriously rock.

b. Your boss is cool.

So much win!

Comment

Super-cool boss and a truly entitled hemorrhoid. Glad the complaint letter was treated with all the dignity it deserved.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Boss who knows what's up, For. The. Win.

Good on ya for sticking up for Sam Dan.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Clearly he got lost on the way to Le Snobby's Cloth Napkin Bistro. I can't imagine how he'd react to Chotchkies from Office Space.

Brian: "Sounds like a case of the Mondays."
            SC: "That does it..." *beats Brian to a pulp*
            Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
            Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
            Fiancee: What?!
            Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post

CW: I must have done something wrong.
              Me: You clearly did nothing wrong.
              CW: But what if he asks to see the manager?
              Me: Seriously, don’t worry. Everyone in this place knows you and knows you are not like that. He’s quite clearly just an arsehole. Don’t worry.
              CW: This is going to ruin my chances of getting a promotion.
              Me: Stop worrying. If he comes back, you get me or CW2. We’ll serve him, take his food out and you don’t have to have anything else to do with him.
              Been there and done that. I've been in CW's shoes so many times I think I must have worn them down to the inserts. At least he has coworkers who back him up. Unfortunately that customer won't be the last and it certainly won't be the worse he ever has to deal with.

I also love the way he pretends to be all sweet and innocent.
              Oh of course. It's why I hate it when people take crap like this letter at face value, because it never occurs to them that the "offended" party could be embellishing.

Comment

The thought has obviously never crossed his tiny mind that you get the service you deserve.
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

My first thought is "Who shoved the nasty stick up his ass" and then when reading the letter, did he fall out of a Dickens novel? Is he the reincarnation of Ebeneezer Scrooge?!
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

It'll be funny when the SC comes back full of unrighteous superiority and sees that both you and "Sam" are still employed.

Comment

What a douche! He apparently has a hearing problem, so he's a deaf douche!

Good on you for backing your co-worker, and for not bowing to this wretched man! High Five goes to your boss!
                      "You're perfect yes it's true, but without meeeee you're only you!"

Comment

Just makes you wonder how many times he must have pulled this nonsense on other establishments to believe so thoroughly that he'd win.

Your boss is awwwwwesome, and I'm so glad you backed up your CW. You are awesome as well, dude! <brohoof>
                        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Only thing CW needs to change is to accept that you simply cannot please everyone. If you try to be friendly, some people will complain you aren't treating them with enough respect. If you are very respectful and call everyone sir, someone will complain that you're too formal. That's why I hate managers/corporations that have a no tolerence policy on complaints - even should they all be based on total truth (which we know doesn't happen) without esp and a few super-powers, it's impossible to please everyone, as some people want the opposite of what others want.

Madness takes it's toll....
                          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I don't know about you all, but I don't walk into a pub to be treated like some anonymous bigwig - has this man never seen Cheers? If you don't actually know people's names, you can at least be friendly towards them!
                            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
                              It'll be funny when the SC comes back full of unrighteous superiority and sees that both you and "Sam" are still employed.
                              or if he finds out that the boss laughed at the letter.

Comment

Working...
                              X