This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two airheads walk into a store

We're a small store and have limited amounts of money on site. Often we get people coming in wanting $50 in ones or $100 in tens. We have to tell these people no as per store policy.

The two girls walk in and demand $40 in ones because they are having a yard sale the next day. I explain the policy to them and seconds later, she begins to pester my co-worker for the same thing. Co-worker also explains policy to her.

The girls head outside and a couple minutes later, one of them returns with this uber-proud smirk on her face. She grabs two candies that cost about .50 cents. She puts them on the counter, holds out two twenties and then says "These will be separate orders."

I played along and sure enough as I counted out the change I hear "Can you like give me my change in ones?" She's smiling like she's the smartest person in the world. I decline and tell her that it's against store policy.

"But I'm a customer now, you have to give me the ones." Again, I explain the policy. She snapped that she doesn't want the "stupid candies" and demanded her twenty back. I gave it to her and she stormed out still whining that she's a customer and I should do what ever she wants.
    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
    two girls walk in and demand $40 in ones because they are having a yard sale the next day.
    Have these girls not heard of a bank???

It used to be that you could go into most stores and get change for a $5, $10, etc. pretty easily but that's pretty rare these days. I think the bill change scam has a lot do with that, as do people like the girls in this story who would come in and clean a store out out of a certain denomination, making it difficult to conduct business.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 05-08-2012, 06:57 PM. Reason: please do not quote the entire post
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I used to get that at MalMart. If a customer asks for a couple dollars in quarters, I was usually okay with it. But please, for goodness sake, don't ask if I can give you an entire roll of quarters. One woman gave me a look like I was something very sad and disappointing and then said "You know, *competitor* is more generous*. Um, go there then? At 7:30 in the morning, they probably wouldn't have rolls of quarters either.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

How stupid. That's what banks are for.

But don't worry. You know what's going to happen? Some customer at their garage sale is going to present them with a $50 or $100 and want the change in ones.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

No harm in asking, the suck is in getting pissy when the answer is no, right?

I used to HATE it on Tuesdays when I'd be opening the store and the first person wanted to pay with a $100 bill - I don't HAVE that much cash in here! I JUST GOT HERE! YOU just got here! The store's been open two and a half minutes, and you think I can deal with a $100?! GTFO.
          Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Comment

I HATED that at Malmart. Once I was cashiering for what would pass as an opening shift anyplace else (started at 6:30). I think I got TWO people, close together, within about the first hour...wanting to buy cheap stuff with their $100 bills. My register was all but empty after that.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

"I'm the customer & you should do what I want!" - I hope they learned to rue those words during their yard sale!
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                How stupid. That's what banks are for.

But don't worry. You know what's going to happen? Some customer at their garage sale is going to present them with a $50 or $100 and want the change in ones.
                You know, I went into a local bank once to get a couple rolls of quarters for a $20 (laundry day). They asked if I had an account there. I said no. They said "Well, we really only provide that service for people that have accounts, because we're a corporate bank and we don't carry small change like that." But, she went on, if I'd like to open an account then I could get quarters.

I said "I think I'd rather not have an account at a bank that doesn't have money."

Comment

We get that at the thrift shop a lot, thanks to the fact banking machines no longer give anything smaller than a $20. We start the day with $25 in the till: one $10, one $5 and the rest in coins. Get two customers buying small items, each with $20, and either the customer or a volunteer has to make a mad dash to the bank ...
                  (Luckily it's just a few doors down. )

Comment

Since my store is 24 hrs, we get a lot of cash flow. But when the managers do a cash pickup, people will bring in 100 dollar bills and have nothing else. Or if I get change from the manager, my larger bills are gone. I may have enough for the person, but not for the rest of my shift and have to call the manager back again for change. They go to a different register.

Comment

I'm guessing showing up at the yard sale with a $50 would be 'bad'? And then delivering the same line to them, in a nice cheerful tone?

Comment

At every store I worked at I would have kids and parents come in and ask for change for a dollar. If the register was already open then it wasn't an issue. The problems would come when they wanted me to open the drawer to do it. Sorry it wasn't going to happen. Having to do a no sale raises red flags at corporate and we had to do them every day to count down the tills in between shifts. I was not going to add one more to that list just so jr. could go play a video game. I even got a "I will not shop here again if you don't give me change". Really? You would rather me get in trouble or get fired so you can have some quarters I don't think so! Customer was back in the next week buying the new line that had just come out.
                        "The old saying "The customer is always right" is Bull S*it, but you should always treat the customer with respect."~ Professor of Management at UTA

Comment

That line "I'll never shop here again!" is beginning to amaze me, considering how often it's used by people who aren't shopping at the store at that moment. Wanting change =/= shopping!

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                            You know, I went into a local bank once to get a couple rolls of quarters for a $20 (laundry day). They asked if I had an account there. I said no. They said "Well, we really only provide that service for people that have accounts, because we're a corporate bank and we don't carry small change like that." But, she went on, if I'd like to open an account then I could get quarters.

I said "I think I'd rather not have an account at a bank that doesn't have money."
                            I had something similar happen, except I told her, "I just spent $3 for the privilege of using your ATM." They gave me the quarters.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                              "I'm the customer & you should do what I want!" - I hope they learned to rue those words during their yard sale!
                              LOL. Or better yet...

"If that's what you think... where's your garage sale? I'd love to stop by and be your customer!"

Comment

Working...
                              X