This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny: Do you know who I am?

So, this requires some background, but was entertaining at the time. I worked for Borders in a mall - they had opened up a second storefront in the mall just to sell their bargain books. That location never got internet access, so to run a credit card, the data actually got stored and ran later that night. Thus, carding on credit was important. (At least, that's how I took it.)

Also, at this time, the TV show about Bam on MTV was still popular. (I never watched it myself, so I have no idea how popular at the time.) The mall just so happens to be relatively close to where Bam was doing his show.

Finally! Done background.

A man & woman come into the bargain books store. They look around for a bit, pick out some books, and come to pay. The man's card wasn't signed, so I asked for ID. He just looks at me and asks if I knew who he was. (In a kind of, "You have no idea? Wow..." way. Not sucky.) I told him I had no idea, and he told me he was Bam's father. He was great about it - not offended at all.

Just thought I'd share. Sometimes "Do you know who I am?" can be entertaining.

Back in the mid 70s or so Mom had a job at JCP catalog dept. One customer came in to use a check... I don't remember if he had ID or not but the employees were allowed to authorize a check without ID if they knew who the customer was personally.

One customer didn't have the ID but the employees didn't recognize him... except for Mom who vouched for him. It somewhat astonished her that her coworkers didn't know he was the town mayor.

Comment

i wouldn't have known who it was either, or cared. i've heard of the show but i couldn't pick anyone from it from out of a crowd or a line-up, lol.

i worked at a toy store in a mall once for a few months. i was the only one at the register when this huge guy wearing a nice suit came in with a heavily make-up covered girl hooked on his arm. they bought some cheap toy and i handed them their change and they walked out together. like any other customer. then a couple of the guys from the back of the store ran up and said "DO YOU KNOW WHO THAT WAS?????X9000!!!!"

uh, no?

"THAT WAS SOMEWRESTLINGGUYI'VENEVERHEARDOFBEFORE AND HIS GIRLFRIEND FLAVOROFTHEWEEK!!!! ZOMG!!!! WHAT WAS IT LIKE? DID HE SAY ANYTHING PROFOUND? DID YOU GET HIS AUTOGRAPH??? DID HE DO HIS SIGNATURE MOVE???"

eh, they bought a toy, big deal.
      there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Reminds me of a customer my brother had when he worked at mcdonalds in a rich part of town. Supposedly a player with some famous basketball team here in florida came in and asked the same question. My brother, however, said "no & i really don't care"
        If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Used to work in a convenience store in Scottsdale, Az. Nice guy came in every week to buy cigs, and we'd have a pleasant little chat. No idea who he was until one day my coworker saw me talking with him, and after he left asked me if I knew that was Alice Cooper.

I'd had no idea. Didn't recognize him without his stage getup. XD

Comment

midnightaurora, I have a pretty good guess at which mall that is seeing as I went to school in Bam's town. Never made it to his bar though. I'm honestly shocked that his dad would expect people to know who he is just buy looking at him though.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Nijiero View Post
              Used to work in a convenience store in Scottsdale, Az. Nice guy came in every week to buy cigs, and we'd have a pleasant little chat. No idea who he was until one day my coworker saw me talking with him, and after he left asked me if I knew that was Alice Cooper.

Oh now I'm jealous, that would be cool. I would have recognized him He owns some funky restaurant too I believe, I forget where though.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Bam?

I don't know who BAM is and I sure don't know his father.

What I do know is that many famous and/or rich people have deadbeats for relatives or parents. So no matter how important some relative is, you are just another face demanding service that you will still have to pay for.

Comment

Quoth Nijiero View Post
                  Didn't recognize him without his stage getup. XD
                  That's because without his stage make-up he's Vince Furnier, not Alice Cooper...

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    That's because without his stage make-up he's Vince Furnier, not Alice Cooper...
                    Not anymore. He changed his legal name to Alice Cooper.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                      midnightaurora, I have a pretty good guess at which mall that is seeing as I went to school in Bam's town. Never made it to his bar though. I'm honestly shocked that his dad would expect people to know who he is just buy looking at him though.
                      It's the mall that is no longer owned by Simon, if that helps. (Which, btw, now that its not owned by them, even though its still a ghost town, there's been a ton of improvements and there's plans for more.)

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        Back in the mid 70s or so Mom had a job at JCP catalog dept. One customer came in to use a check... I don't remember if he had ID or not but the employees were allowed to authorize a check without ID if they knew who the customer was personally.

One customer didn't have the ID but the employees didn't recognize him... except for Mom who vouched for him. It somewhat astonished her that her coworkers didn't know he was the town mayor.
                        Haha, my mom once got off a plane with the mayor! She went to visit my sister in another town and the mayor was on the same place coming back from visiting his daughter. Mom asked him to hand her carry-on bag to her and he joked, "so you're going to make me work?" And she said "Isn't that what mayors are supposed to do?"

And they came down the jetway arm-in-arm and I knew the guy looked familiar but couldn't remember who he was at first.

But hey, Nijiero, Alice Cooper!! COOL!! I love Alice!
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Back in the early 90s I had one of the Gladiators (UK version) come through work, I rarely bothered watching the show so I didn't place him until much later; when I had my breakthrough, it really placed his GF's cat-butt face expression into context... She'd been silently giving me the stink-eye through the whole transaction, and I think it was just because I didn't recognise him! (He wasn't sucky, neither was I; no ID was required, but I think maybe she expected an "OMG you're... Here, go free!" moment!)
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Nijiero View Post

He probably enjoyed being treated like any other customer and not fawned over because he is famous.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                              her coworkers didn't know he was the town mayor.
                              Well...to be honest, I have found that most people don't really know or care about their local politicians except at election time. The overwhelming majority of people are probably lucky to know the names of their senators/congressmen, let alone their faces. It's just not something most people deal with on a daily basis.

Quoth Nijiero View Post
                              Quoth dbuzman View Post
                              He probably enjoyed being treated like any other customer and not fawned over because he is famous.
                              This has been my experience -- especially locally, where we consider long-time newscasters to be celebrities...Then again, if you see the same anchor on the local news for 30+ years, you tend to know who they are -- I have worked in grocery stores and the like where they, or actors who live nearby, come in semi-regularly. All of them seem really happy to just be treated like everybody else ^_^
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X