This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
    Like writing a bum check to pay for a hooker? Yeah, I think even the flippin' Martians know about that one.....lol
    Quoth dendawg View Post
    Actually, he was also co-anchor for WLWT's 11pm newcast in the mid-80's, before he got his talk show started. He gave amazingly insightful commentaries on an almost nightly basis towards the tail end of the broadcast, similar to his "Final Thought" segment on his current show, but more serious.
    Well yeah, but I was referring to the hooker situation.

Kidding aside, I really do miss his 'Jerry Springer's Commentary' thing.

When his show started and was broadcast here (before it moved to Chicago) I used to see people I knew on there at LEAST once a month.
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Many years ago in Baltimore, Maryland, my wife's aunt (she was in her mid 70s) was walking into a shopping mall, and a nice man held the door open for her. As she walked through the door, she turned to him and said he looked familiar. He replied, "Johnny Unitas, ma'am."
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

The only "real" celeb I've helped is John Goodman. Really nice and cool at the grocery store (as long as people leave him alone), and one of the coolest pizza delivery customers I'd ever had the pleasure to serve ^_^
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Meh.

I've had several celebrities come in my store. Some I recognized, some I didn't until one of my co-workers told me who they were. I could care less. I treated them the same as anyone else. Of course, there are some people I would go mental over. They just haven't come in my store yet.
          Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
            Well yeah, but I was referring to the hooker situation.

Kidding aside, I really do miss his 'Jerry Springer's Commentary' thing.

When his show started and was broadcast here (before it moved to Chicago) I used to see people I knew on there at LEAST once a month.
            No shame involved there, hon. I think EVERYBODY knows a 'Jerry' guest candidate or two. Some of us just know more of them than others, is all.... God knows I've known MY share.....ugh!

A friend of mine swears, to this very day, that an ex-girlfriend of mine had appeared on his show. I don't watch the show, never have, so I can't confirm or deny. Though she certainly 'qualified', for sure.

Comment

When I worked at the hotel I worked with a guy who is in a kind of known music group. One day I came back from smoking and my coworker was talking to some guy who I thought I recognized but didn't know. So after the guy left he asked me if I knew who it was and I said don't think so. It was Daddy Yankee nice guy

Comment

I don't watch, so I don't know.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                  Oh now I'm jealous, that would be cool. I would have recognized him He owns some funky restaurant too I believe, I forget where though.
                  Alice Cooperstown, in Phoenix near the ballpark. Went there once, the food was quite good.

I met Alice once, he was signing autographs outside Circle K, and I got one. He was very gracious.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

*sigh* Unsurprisingly I dealt with a lot of famous (for here) football people when I worked at a football stadium. I could count on one finger the ones (even 18 year old kids) who actually treated me like a human being rather than a bit of excrement on the underside of their shoes.

On the other hand, I met and was hugged and kissed by Hugh Jackman before he was internationally famous and when he was playing Gaston in Beauty and the Beast. Nicest guy ever!
                    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                      On the other hand, I met and was hugged and kissed by Hugh Jackman before he was internationally famous and when he was playing Gaston in Beauty and the Beast. Nicest guy ever!
                      SQUEE! Lucky you! Oh, guess what Mr. Jackman's upcoming movie role is? Jean Valjean! I can't wait to see it.

Back on topic, let's see, other famous people I've met...back around 1977-78, Former Phoenix Suns player Walt Davis came to our elementary school, I don't remember the reason, but he signed autographs, and had to duck a bit to get through the door. I was in the audience for the Wallace and Ladmo show around 1976 and met them, but few people outside of Arizona remember them.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                        He owns some funky restaurant too I believe, I forget where though.
                        Cooperstown in downtown Phoenix. Went there with my friend Cat before a Diamondbacks game last September, and both of us were rather unimpressed.

That being said, I know a lot of people in the Phoenix area who have had encounters with Alice, and universally they say he is nothing but a nice, cool, polite, pleasant person. So I had higher hopes for his bar, and was let down that much more by its underwhelmingness.

Quoth dbuzman View Post
                        He probably enjoyed being treated like any other customer and not fawned over because he is famous.
                        I am currently reading Pat Benatar's memoirs/autobiography, and while many celebrities DO seek the spotlight, many others (including Pat and Alice) just want to live their normal lives, as they are, in their minds, normal people with extraordinary jobs.

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        My ex worked at Kinko's. One day, he had a guy come in and want a bunch of copies of a Dokken album cover. So, the ex asks if he has a copyright release for that. The guy then asks "Is a driver's license ok?"

Not really a "do you know who I am" moment,...
                        No, but perhaps the best version of such.

What's that? Copyright release for that? Why, no, but I do have my driver's license that shows I am the holder of that copyright...will that do?

I have to say, that is about as cool as it gets. (Assuming, of course, he was cool about it, and not an ass.)

Quoth IamEmancipated View Post
                        Then the coworkers were all over him and I felt bad. Everyone wanted an autograph. I'm pretty sure the dude just wanted a family dinner.
                        Again, celebrities are people, just like us, and oftentimes they just want a dinner, or to shop for books, or clothes, or to gas up their cars, or whatever. Here in Key West, we get a lot of celebrities, but there is an unwritten rule that most of the locals adhere to that you simply Do Not Ask Celebrities for Autographs. Hang with them? Sure. Drink with them? Absolutely. Go skinny dipping with them? If given the opportunity, sure. But don't treat them any differently than you would treat anyone else.

On that note, most celebrities I have met have been cool. Special props to Sandra Bullock, Cheech Marin, and A.C. Green, for being among the coolest people I've met, celebrity or otherwise.

On the other side of the coin, a big fuck you to Toby Keith, a personality-less asshole who steals music, and Vanessa Williams, a first class diva bitch. Both of them can kiss my sphincter.

As for "do you know who I am?", my best story for that comes from a non-celebrity. It's a story I've told here before, but I'll tell it again for the new people.

My bar was getting just a bit busy for happy hour, and I was running my ass off getting people drinks, taking drink orders, taking food orders, clearing glasses and plates, ringing people out, etc. At my bar at that time were three 50something guys who were on their second round of drinks and were waiting to order food. While I was ringing another customer out at my terminal, the joker of the group was apparently getting impatient, so he said, "Jester....WE'RE your only customers!" To which I looked around at the rather busy bar, then at the joker, and said, "No you're not!" At which point the joker thought he'd be even funnier.

JOKER: (pointing to his friend, who was minding his own business and had no idea what was going on): "DO YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS?"
                        JESTER: (looking the joker right in the eye) "No. Do you know who *I* am?"
                        JOKER: (clearly not expecting that response) "Um, no....who are you?"
                        JESTER: "I'm the guy controlling your fucking booze."
                        (MOMENTARY SILENT PAUSE)
                        JOKER: "Alright Jester, we'll be right here waiting whenever you're ready!"

And THAT, as they say, was the end of THAT!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

I knew there was a reason I always liked Sandra Bullock but couldn't stand Toby Keith.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            On the other side of the coin, a big fuck you to Toby Keith, a personality-less asshole who steals music,
                            Hadn't heard about that - details please.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              I am currently reading Pat Benatar's memoirs/autobiography, and while many celebrities DO seek the spotlight, many others (including Pat and Alice) just want to live their normal lives, as they are, in their minds, normal people with extraordinary jobs.
                              I just got done reading Pat Benatar's autobiography! It's really good and jump started my interest in her music again. Been listening to a lot of classic stuff of hers.

Our musical / reading tastes keep meeting in the oddest places!
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                                JOKER: (pointing to his friend, who was minding his own business and had no idea what was going on): "DO YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS?"
                                JESTER: (looking the joker right in the eye) "No. Do you know who *I* am?"
                                JOKER: (clearly not expecting that response) "Um, no....who are you?"
                                JESTER: "I'm the guy controlling your fucking booze."
                                (MOMENTARY SILENT PAUSE)
                                JOKER: "Alright Jester, we'll be right here waiting whenever you're ready!"

And THAT, as they say, was the end of THAT!
                                You, sir, are freakin' awesome!
                                Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                                What's the difference?
                                We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Working...
                                X